Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Just some random sh*t.

Just some random musings after watching an astronomy doc on youtube.

The speed of light is 670 million miles per hour. The fastest man made object is the Parker Solar Probe which is doing 330,000 miles per hour, or 0.05% of the speed of light.
Put another way, that's 1/2000th the speed of light.
So, if you want to know how long it would take us to reach Proxima Centauri, our nearest neighboring star at 4.2 lightyears distance, at that speed, take the lightyears distance and multiply it by 2000, and you get a paltry 8,400 years. :oops:

To quote The Expanse, 'Space is too damn big!'

Just some random musings after watching an astronomy doc on youtube.

The speed of light is 670 million miles per hour. The fastest man made object is the Parker Solar Probe which is doing 330,000 miles per hour, or 0.05% of the speed of light.
Put another way, that's 1/2000th the speed of light.
So, if you want to know how long it would take us to reach Proxima Centauri, our nearest neighboring star at 4.2 lightyears distance, at that speed, take the lightyears distance and multiply it by 2000, and you get a paltry 8,400 years. :oops:

To quote The Expanse, 'Space is too damn big!'
@Stafford

I guess we should pack a lunch then, eh! :)

Cheers!

I've read theories of potentially getting around the distance and the time it would take.
Everything from so called 'wormholes' to gravity drives which warp gravity in front of a ship.
Such a puzzling and fascinating subject.

Watched with my morning coffee. :coffee:

From the comments on the video...:D

I did the kick-fart combo multiple times when the situation called for it, but it never crossed my mind that you can just run away afterwards.
Its called cut and run. Now you know.
fart and flight
rattle n skedaddle

Apparently this frisky horse plays with the dogs regularly.

How trippy is THIS?
Artificial Intelligence created this music video. You can turn on closed captions to see the lyrics.
I think the song is a bit insipid, but the graphics are fascinating, like a dream-scape.

Strange time to be alive eh?
Have you heard of the fracas surrounding Google's A.I. possibly being sentient?

It raised all kinds of philosophical questions about was consciousness actually is.
Are we just meat computers, or is there a soul in there as well?
Is the difference between humans and animals simply a capacity for self awareness?

Listening to this segment below, I hear that the AI in question was created using complex algorithms that use ALL the text in the internet to learn.
So my initial conclusion is that it is simply complex math that emulates human thinking.

But this raises further ethical questions.
With the development of bots that can trick people into thinking they are human and 'deepfakes', it seems there is a huge potential for manipulation.

Mainstream media is largely distrusted because of perceived bias by governments and corporations.
How long before convincing deepfakes that can interact and respond to people make an appearance?
This technology is breaking new ground that requires some scrutiny and debate. But how do you even regulate something like this?

Strange time to be alive eh?
Have you heard of the fracas surrounding Google's A.I. possibly being sentient?

It raised all kinds of philosophical questions about was consciousness actually is.
Are we just meat computers, or is there a soul in there as well?
Is the difference between humans and animals simply a capacity for self awareness?

Listening to this segment below, I hear that the AI in question was created using complex algorithms that use ALL the text in the internet to learn.
So my initial conclusion is that it is simply complex math that emulates human thinking.

But this raises further ethical questions.
With the development of bots that can trick people into thinking they are human and 'deepfakes', it seems there is a huge potential for manipulation.

Mainstream media is largely distrusted because of perceived bias by governments and corporations.
How long before convincing deepfakes that can interact and respond to people make an appearance?
This technology is breaking new ground that requires some scrutiny and debate. But how do you even regulate something like this?

@Concord

One can only hope that these complex algorithms that use ALL the text in the internet to teach the robots if nothing else reinforced Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics as a central part of that process. Although as the article below illustrates there are some that do not believe that will be enough.

Either way it's a brave new world we appear to be entering ... :alien:

THE THREE LAWS​

Asimov’s Three Laws are as follows:
  • A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Cheers !

Shift in perspective -- our minds are so trained to see things in north-south view...

1658729247606.png
Sabine Réthoré, a French cartographer - artist, had a brilliant idea that can help us to give a different look: she created a map called "Mediterranean without borders", turning the geographical map of 90°, with the north on the right , rewriting the names of cities, regions without tracing borders: "I did not draw the borders that divide us, but the thousands of roads that connect us." "
The result is amazing. The Mediterranean is no longer a line with a divided top and bottom, but a large salt lake with two specular shores. A united world with two shores that mirror each other, attract each other, call each other... Two shores that in the end of history have been necessary to each other, osmotic even if sometimes in conflict.

@Concord

One can only hope that these complex algorithms that use ALL the text in the internet to teach the robots if nothing else reinforced Isaac Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics as a central part of that process. Although as the article below illustrates there are some that do not believe that will be enough.

Either way it's a brave new world we appear to be entering ... :alien:

THE THREE LAWS​

Asimov’s Three Laws are as follows:
  • A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  • A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  • A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws.

Cheers !
So is this how it begins...?

My apologies but I have removed the video from the WION News Network that I had originally attached to this post, as after posting I noticed that it was subsequently designated as "PRIVATE" and thus unavailable for general viewing.

Basically the story I had posted was about how a chess playing robot recently grabbed hold of and broke the finger of a 7 year old competitor during an exhibition match during which the robot was playing 4 different competitive matches all at the same time. The story went on to say how it appears the robot was confused by the speed by which this 7 year old was playing his own countermoves that it caused the robot to inadvertently grab hold of the boys finger and not let it go so that it ended up breaking the finger. The boy had to be freed from the robots grip by several spectators to the event.

Talk about a sore loser ....:D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Back