Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Kampfgruppe Dutch Grenadier: Day 2, DAWN (03:00 - 06:00)

Welcome back to the Battle for Rikonovo Campaign -- hostilities will resume with the DAWN turn of Day 2.

After the recall of Colonel von @Bootie to staff duties in Berlin, command is passed on to a new veteran Kampfgruppe Commander, newly promoted Colonel @Dutch Grenadier who also commanded the panzer recon elements in Abteilung DG, now dug in at Stodenka.

The Kampfgruppe has now been renamed Kampfgruppe Dutch Grenadier.

Here is the updated command roster of available officers:

CO: @Dutch Grenadier

Intel officer: @Nathangun

Battle Commanders:
@Mehlsack
@Richtig (returned to the unit after recovering from a light wound)
@Mad Mike

New replacement commanders sent from 5 Pz Div HQ
@Floki
@robslion

SITUATION REPORT - DAWN, DAY 2 (03:00 - 06:00)

Rik-DAY-2-DAWN-GER1.jpg~original

As the sun rises on another clear day, we review the situation after the NIGHT's actions -- we go from south to north.

Along the Bobr stream, the abortive probe by the PzIV Gruppe and 3. PzGrKompanie leaves the situation unchanged with the enemy dug in a bridgehead across from Novoye village.
Positive news there is that neither unit suffered any significant losses.

Gruppe Strachwitz (1st Alarmkompanie) is covering the river crossing at Stayki village -- this group's commander is reported MIA.

Alarmkompanie 2 managed to dig in during the night at Brody village -- but troop quality and morale of this unit is low and most of the personnel are exhausted from long retreat marches and lack of proper rest and ration shortages.

PzArtillerie Gruppe 1 with its battery of Wespe sp guns is positioned at Kolki village and has firing at the Stayki crossing -- so far ammunition levels are satisfactory.

The Panzerpioniere Platoon has arrived at Rikonovo Railway station -- orders to remain at Kolki village in reserve obviously didn't get through.

Recon Abteilung DG, Gruppe Mehlsack, the Heavy Kompanie and the Panther Group are all dug in at and around Stodenka. No direct enemy contact has been made, but tank engine noises have been reported to the north in direction Uborak village.

The II PzGrenadier Btn HQ detachment is in position at Zharav'ye and also reports tank engine noises from direction of the Kherma river crossing.

Gruppe Mad Mike: A recon infantry squad has probed towards Kurgan and report that the village is occupied by enemy tanks and infantry -- no radio contact with recon squad since first reports.

Scheduled reinforcements: the towed 105 battery is still delayed -- ETA on map at MIDDAY turn.
No further reinforcements are scheduled at this point.

Orders from 5th Panzer Division HQ are for Kampfgruppe Dutch Grenadier are to hold the Russian advance at the Rikonovo perimeter for at least another 24 hours to allow the maximum of stores and wounded rail transports to be moved to Borisov and Minsk, preferably at night.

Under no circumstances allow your Kampfgruppe to be surrounded - you have full discretion from 5 Pz Div command to order an earlier fighting retreat if necessary.

The Weather is predicted to be clear with ground haze -- so enemy air activity will be heavy.

I AWAIT YOUR ORDERS -- (any questions or clarifications, just shoot 'em over)

Last edited:
Hauptmann Mad Mike Statusreport, Day 2, 0300, located at the village of Zalzny, Map Ref P2:

As previously ordered by the Kampfgruppe HQ in Rikonovo, have dispatched a recon squad under Unteroffizier Schmidt to reconnoitre enemy disposition around Kurgan (Map Ref S3). After some initial reports about Russian tank and infantry concentrations, contact with Uffz Schmidt has been lost.

During the night, movement noises from the south of Zalzny in a westerly direction have been observed, this ties in with reports from II. / PzGrRgt 14 about enemy movement around Kherma (Map Ref I3).

At this point, I am very concerned about becoming cut off from the rest of the Kampfgruppe.

@Dutch Grenadier

I therefore request to be allowed to immediately move my remaining forces on foot to Map Ref L2, the large forest to the west.
Since I will have to cover open ground, I want to do this still under cover of the dawn instead of becoming a prime target for the Russian Schlachtflieger.
The recon squad under Uffz Schmidt is considered to be captured or otherwise incapacited, we should therefore write them off.

Thanks @Rico for continuing this.
I'm at work at the moment and won't be till after 4am, I will be only able to get an Intel assessment until Sunday evening.
@Dutch Grenadier I think the troops around Kurgan need to be pulled back along the railway line and perhaps sending one of the armoured battle groups east of the river out to meet them along the same route.

@Folki & @robslion
Remember, (if your both unaware) your character in this campaign will be the Company Commander on they CM battle map if he's killed you will be unable to continue the campaign.
Also, your battlegroup might not get replacements, so don't throw away the lives your pixel brethren ;)

Last edited:
Radio Transmission from Minsk
Oberleutnant Floki to Hauptmann Nathangun

Message received and understood. I am currently spending my time in Minsk reading of our exploits at Rikonovo and wait for the day to get my first field command so I can show our glorious Fuhrer what his new commanders are capable of. I have enlisted the help of fraulein Helga to help me with the copious amounts of materials to dig through.

She is currently busy drawing my bath......oh wait she is calling.....I must end this transmission and join her...I mean take my bath.

Oberleutnant Floki out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very happy with the message that I may soon be allowed to participate in a real fight.
The news reaches me as a participant in manoeuvres with which the majors Shorker and Richtig as my teachers.
I will not disappoint them!

imagesRUE0FJDU.jpg

After a long night playing wargames (40k) I will read the orders and requests asap. I know we need to get orgenised so I need to reed this trough.

Colonel DG out

To Hauptmann @Mad Mike

Request denied. Your orders are to leave your current positions and move towards coordinate P3. You will engage the enemy forces at P4. I'll send Gruppe @Mehlsack to help you with your attack. Sent 1 squad to find Unteroffizier Schmidt. Get them out of there!

Hauptmann @Mehlsack

Take the 2nd Panther platoon and the 120mm mortars from the heavy companie with you and move to coordinate O4 and help engage the enemy forces at P4. Go!!!

Hauptmann @robslion

You are ordered to take command of Gruppe Strachwitz. I'll order a platoon of PzIV's to help you.

Oberstleutnant @Floki

You are ordered to take command of Gruppe DG. Stand your ground! You have the remains of the Panther Gruppe and the heavy companie.

Hauptmann @Richtig

You are ordered to take command of the forces located at L11. Hold your ground! Go!

Hauptmann @Nathangun

I have a special mission for you. Take the 1st Pionier platoon and move towards K9. Reinforce Alarmkompanie 2. Get some food, water en medicine there. Restore morale and build some fortifications with the Pioniere.

Gentlemen,

Our situation is bad but not terrible. We need to get Gruppe Mad Mike back. This will be our main priority. For those dug in. Hold your ground and let's hope we can stabilize our positions.

Colonel DG out!

@Rico

These are the orders for Kampfgruppe DG. If possible I would like the Panzerartillery group to support Hauptmann Richtig. If I'm correct Richtig will take command of 3 Pzgren kompanie? If so then I would like to order the remaing PzIV tanks (6 pieces) back to Rikonovo.

To Hauptmann @Mad Mike

Request denied. Your orders are to leave your current positions and move towards coordinate P3. You will engage the enemy forces at P4. I'll send Gruppe @Mehlsack to help you with your attack. Sent 1 squad to find Unteroffizier Schmidt. Get them out of there!

Hauptmann @Mehlsack

Take the 2nd Panther platoon and the 120mm mortars from the heavy companie with you and move to coordinate O4 and help engage the enemy forces at P4. Go!!!

Understood, but I urge you to reconsider sending another squad after Schmidt. I'm already low on infantry as it is and will need every man if I'm to fight my way out via P3/P4. Looking for a lost squad only dilutes our strength and increases the command and control burden. I maintain that if Schmidt is still alive and not captured, he should find his own way back to our lines. He knew what he was signing up for when he volunteered for this recon mission.

Also, going via P3/P4 will place our troops in very open ground and makes us quite vulnerable. I'm not convinced by our Flak halftracks and have given up hope that the Luftwaffe will show up.

To Hauptmann @Mad Mike

These are the orders for Kampfgruppe DG. If possible I would like the Panzerartillery group to support Hauptmann Richtig. If I'm correct Richtig will take command of 3 Pzgren kompanie? If so then I would like to order the remaing PzIV tanks (6 pieces) back to Rikonovo.

Yes, possible to send the Pz IV's to Rikonovo.

Just a quick reminder -- here the artillery range chart:

artillery-ranges.jpg

I suggest positioning your artillery assets where they can support your ground units best.

Panzerartillerie Gruppe (105mm howitzers) is not in range and needs to move closer to Rikonovo.

You also have 6 static 88 guns that can perform indirect fire missions. (not their primary mission ans not too accurate either)

I will rename the groups according to their new commanders.

Understood but if you move towards the forrest you will be further away from our forces and I'm afraid it will be even harder to help you.
We need to engage the enemy on open ground to get you out. I understand this is a difficult situation but I trust on you and your men. You need to fight your way out. Gruppe Mehlshack is coming for your aid. The enemy is on the move so he will need to fight on open ground also. And I don't think they think we have the balls to go out of our prepared postions to meet them head on.

I understand you need every men so let's assume Schmidt is killed or captured. But keep trying to make radio contact.

@Rico
No infantry is sent to find Schmidt.

Yes, possible to send the Pz IV's to Rikonovo.

Just a quick reminder -- here the artillery range chart:

View attachment 10388

I suggest positioning your artillery assets where they can support your ground units best.

Panzerartillerie Gruppe (105mm howitzers) is not in range and needs to move closer to Rikonovo.

You also have 6 static 88 guns that can perform indirect fire missions. (not their primary mission ans not too accurate either)

I will rename the groups according to their new commanders.

Thanks for the heads up. Then move the PzArt. to G10. From there it can support our forces in the Southern sector.
Have the 88's support Richtig then. I know they arn't much but every shell counts.

Can the 120mm mortars support Mehlshack and Mad Mike from their current postion?

Thanks for the heads up. Then move the PzArt. to G10. From there it can support our forces in the Southern sector.
Have the 88's support Richtig then. I know they arn't much but every shell counts.

Can the 120mm mortars support Mehlshack and Mad Mike from their current postion?

Yes, can reach P4 ... but only can support one battle at a time.

Understood but if you move towards the forrest you will be further away from our forces and I'm afraid it will be even harder to help you.
We need to engage the enemy on open ground to get you out. I understand this is a difficult situation but I trust on you and your men. You need to fight your way out. Gruppe Mehlshack is coming for your aid. The enemy is on the move so he will need to fight on open ground also. And I don't think they think we have the balls to go out of our prepared postions to meet them head on.

I understand you need every men so let's assume Schmidt is killed or captured. But keep trying to make radio contact.

@Rico

Verstanden, I will do my best, Herr Oberst. :)

@Rico

Roger that.

In an official communique to HQ at Rikonovo:

Verstanden Herr Oberst. I will not let your men down and lead them to victory and rout the Bolsheviks back to whatever hell they came from!

Herr Floki thinking to himself:

My first field command. Yes! I've been waiting years to lead men in battle and finally it is here. Fraulein Helga will be so proud of me. But I will miss her so, perhaps I will take her along and have her be my "official" war correspondent. I will give her a camera and she can document all my battlefield exploits!

@Rico

Grouppe DG (now Grouppe Floki) has been digging in unmolested in Stodenka since dusk yesterday. What kind of defensive assets would I receive? Foxeholes, TRP's

Also, I'd like to thank you for taking the time and effort to run a campaign like this. I look forward to participate in this and many others in the future. :)

Back