Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Looking for first PBEM game - CMBN

A

axxe

I'm running CMBN V3.10 with Market Garden V2.10, Commonwealth V2.00, and the CMBN Vehicle Pack V1.0. Running on a Mac, if it matters.
Looking for my first PBEM game and someone to help me get up and running with PBEM. Maybe a small game to start - you pick the parameters.
Come kick my n00bie butt! ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I'm happy to upgrade to 4.0. Just haven't gotten around to it.
Is everyone running 4.0 now? Should I upgrade if I want opponents?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I'm happy to upgrade to 4.0. Just haven't gotten around to it.
Is everyone running 4.0 now? Should I upgrade if I want opponents?

Hi mate,

I think that most players are on v4.0

Hmm, ok. I'll upgrade and experiment with the new commands until I find somebody to play. Particularly curious about the 4.0 Hull Down command.

Hull down is a great command. It will let your vehicles drive up a hill untill they are in hull down position. This works better since you don't have check every hill for the perfect hull down spot.

@axxe,

If you backed up your CMBN v3.12 in a separate directory on your computer, you will have two (2) versions of CMBN with which you can Play By Mail H2H. Most opponents at FGM play v4.00. Many FGM players also prefer to play "Ladder matches. This basically makes your game results a matter of public record on FGM for participation and competition purposes. Ladder matches are not mandatory, just tell your opponent whether or not you wish to play a "Ladder" match.

The easiest way to play H2H involves two (2) things. First, set yourself up with a user account at "Dropbox" (www.dropbox.com/‎) so you can exchange PBM game files (*.ema files generated from the initial *.btt scenario file) using a shared folder at Dropbox. The second is to install "CMHelper". Check out the explanatory video at http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/how-to-cm-helper-and-dropbox.25557/. Then, download and install CMHelper from http://gregories.net/CMHelper/User Manual/CMHelper.html?GettingStarted.html

You might wish to make your first match small and short. This gives you practice with H2H and CMHelper without committing to a long duration for your initial game.

If you wish a match together with me, I am happy to walk you through the process. I recommend we play scenario CMBN "Byte Beginnings". This is a 30 minute company size US v Wehrmacht meeting engagement set in August '44. You can find out a little more about it at "The Blitz" (http://www.theblitz.org/scenarios/c...-cmbn-intro/b-15.htm?action=scenario&id=11783) and download at Battlefront (http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=3588).

Send me a PM (Private Message) here at FGM and let me know. You do that using the little envelope tool in the menu bar to the right of your UserID. Good luck and good gaming! Welcome to FGM.

Last edited:
Hi Badger73,
Thanks for the tips - I think I've got CMHelper working! I'm planning to start a PBEM game with MeatGrinder on Wednesday. Yikes ;)
Depending on my workload the next weeks I'll maybe get back to you on Byte Beginnings. Not sure yet how much time I'll be investing per move, and I don't want to get behind on returning moves.
Happy gaming.

<gasp!> @axxe, in any other civilized venue, playing your very first CM H2H against the FGM 2016 Ladder Champion by his invitation would get @Meat Grinder arrested for criminal enticement! :shocknaz:

You might as well check out http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgm...ers-house-of-horrors.23755/page-6#post-236820 and decide where you want your head mounted . . . ;)

I'd play him more often myself but the trauma he inflicted upon me in our last match has my therapist forbidding any future games until I can poke myself with sharp sticks in each eye for the duration of any suggested rematch scenario's . . . :singer:(BTW, @Meat Grinder is a real sucker for sweet sounding trash talk :))

Enjoy your first PBEM! Good luck and good gaming.

axxe, when ever you're ready I'd be happy to play a match against you. I actually only have one PBEM match under my belt, so I think we'd be a good match up.

Sounds good Dallin! Let me see how it goes with MG. I want to make sure I can manage a turn a day before I commit to another game.
At that rate I will probably be available for another game in a week or so ;)

@axxe feel free to start another game or two if you want. I find that force selection (in QBs) and the setup turn (both QBs and scenarios) take the longest, and I have been known to spend over an hour doing my setup turn on larger games. After the game starts, doing turns only takes a few minutes per turn (again, depending on the size).

Yes, this is my first QB, so I've spent a lot of time figuring out (or rather starting to!) the nuances of the force selection. And it sounds like you are a really fast player - I spend easily an hour on a regular turn!! ;) No doubt I'll speed up with experience.

Back