Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[PIC GALLERY] WW2 Then & Now

Must take some effort matching up the locations!

Hi. It is a bit of an effort and I've only been able to find the location if in the WWII pic an actual street name or name of village etc., is provided or if there's a landmark I can use as a reference. Then it's a case of locating the spot in Google Street View [not always successful for different reasons] and getting a near enough angle of the scene similar to the angle in the WWII pic. Then I crop and resize to match. So there's a bunch of variables, the first one being that the photographer of the WWII pic had to be on or right beside a road. Or, like in the Univermag pic, there is a road in the location now. Fun! :confused: Thanks mTk.

Looking north-east on Raboche-Krestyanskaya ulitsa [Google Street View] in the direction of the Volgograd city center, the grain elevator remains one of the iconic landmarks of the Battle of Stalingrad, August 1942 - February 1943.

IHA93iD.png

German soldier standing by the viaduct on Kubanskaya Street after one of the battles in the area. Battle of Stalingrad, August 1942 - February 1943.

KvRNLIM.png

Wow. Must have taken some time to track that down.
Hi. Did actually, yes! I've discovered though, that Russian language sites generally provide a bit more info about a photo - if it's the Eastern Front - sometimes including the street name too, which is handy. But whether or not the street still goes by the same name now is another thing. You can sometimes find what the street is named now though, so that's good. Just depends how much time you want to spend trawling the internet. It's interesting. Cheers mTk!

The Soviet Lviv-Sandomierz Strategic Offensive Operation was launched in mid-July 1944, the Red Army achieved its set objectives by the end of August. T-34/85's on the streets of Lviv.

bpBFhv2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers mTk! Must be your turn next Louis for a good then & now post. The Master!! :)

Soviet T-34 and T-60 tanks lie knocked out and abandoned on 20 Years Of October Street, Voronezh, Soviet Union, in the autumn of 1942. This is the same spot.

AWMWnay.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing thread and amazing work guys - loving the detail here and sends a shiver down the spine. Awesome.

Amazing thread and amazing work guys - loving the detail here and sends a shiver down the spine. Awesome.
Thanks Pinchy. Yes, does send a shiver down the spine. Feel free to post here too if you like. Anyone can.

Back