Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Polish

Street market in post-invasion Warsaw Ghetto, 1940.
btwXzJR.jpg

Monte Cassino, May 24, 1944. Gen. Wladyslaw Anders (1892/1970) – commander of the II Polish Corps – in the ruins of the Benedictine Convent, which was captured by Polish forces.
MFussbN.jpg

Polish insurgents Bożena Grabowska -1925/2013- (codename: “Magda”) and Cpl. Cadet Antoni Tuleja -1919/2002- (codename: “Niedźwiedź”), both of “Koszta” Company of the Armia Krajowa (Home Army) resistance movement pose for a photograph during the Warsaw Uprising.
mheOjhI.jpg

Great photographs as usual, @Louis
The destruction and hardship captured in some of these pictures beggars belief but the human kindness and comradeship amongst all this can be seen too. Hard times, I feel blessed.

Witold Modelski, born Nov 11, 1932 was the youngest 11 year old Warsaw insurgent,decorated with the Cross of Valour.
"...He obtained weapons for himself by carrying them almost from under a tank. He was irreplaceable."
The boy died on 20 Sept 1944, while defending buildings on Wilanowska St.
iMffxXP.jpg

I see the soldier on the right has a cord around his shoulder.

When I was in training the instructors appointed some trainees "squad leaders" and gave them a cord or a yellow or red "rope" to put over there shoulders to signify their leadership.
We called these trainees "Ropes". They would march us from point A to point B so the instructors didn't have to do it or they could supervise a task, again, so the instructors could go have coffee and a danish at the NCO club ;)
Some Ropes were good guys and proper team leaders.
With others the power went to their heads and were just a pain in butt so nobody would listen to them.
It makes me smile today, 40 years later, how they would throw their little tantrums. :)

Back