Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Possible next Field of Glory II Campaign: Justinian & Belisarius - Reconquest of Rome 528 - 558 AD

Got this nice map I want to simplify (and make graphically more attractive) and a rule set I want to adapt and also simplify.
For one, cut the number of provinces by more than half)

12ZkmcA.jpg

It's the Byzantines under Emperor Justinian and his famed general Belisarius setting out to reconquer the lost western Roman provinces of Italy and North Africa from the Ostrogoths and the Vandals and at same time fighting off other Barbarian incursions and endless advances against the Sassanid Persian Empire.

Slightly different warfare -- lots more cavalry ... cataphracts, lancers, mounted archers etc... the Roman armies look very different from the classical period we are using in the Civil Wars campaign.

Also perhaps slightly more detailed

So, one side would control the Byzantine's campaigns, while the other all the various Barbarian kingdoms and factions and the Persians ( a lot of the Barbarian tribes and kingdoms would activate by random die roll events ) ...

Battles as per usual resolved in FOG II -- but this time army strengths on the startegic board will be reflected on the FOG II battlefield (I just remembered you can adjust the points for each side when setting up a battle Challenge)

Now would there be enough players interested to play this period ? (before I launch into the design work in earnest) -- I know @Wellsonian is also thinking about creating an Assyrian 600BC campaign -- chariots and bronze!!

The more the merrier (considering how quick and easy the battles are to play) :2charge::2charge:

Possibly interested, but realistically won't have reliable availability - quick question; Which add-on/s required?

Ta

Map in first draft production... cleaned up map and reducing provinces (made map from scratch using a satellite photo of med area as underlay -- you can see it's modern by the big dam reservoirs in Russia and on the Euphrates in Turkey and modern Iraq :) )
Working up new counters ... here on screenshot, Byzantine field armies (who often tended to be regionally based in that period) and frontier forces (aka Barbarian speedbumps) ... still quite a while in testing and simplifying rules etc. -- it'll be a bit more involved than the Roman Civil Wars one...

GtHw8qS.jpg

Another teaser screenshot of the campaign map and counters in the works ... coming along nicely...
Byzantine frontier forts and troops, Byzantine armies and fleets, Goth and Vandal armies ... more to come -- there'll be Sassanid Persians, Huns, Franks, Germans... I'll explain my ideas about the army strength points soon as well...

Oh man this looks really amazing. I just picked up this game at sale a few days ago and i´m loving it. Still need practice against real opponents but would be great to join this campaign.

One idea, using this game Mare Nostrvm (you maybe already know it) sea battles could be also played in campaigns like this one.

Oh man this looks really amazing. I just picked up this game at sale a few days ago and i´m loving it. Still need practice against real opponents but would be great to join this campaign.

One idea, using this game Mare Nostrvm (you maybe already know it) sea battles could be also played in campaigns like this one.

Thanks -- work in progress :)

Yes, I have thought of using Mare Nostrvm for resolving naval battles ,,, I have the game, but didn't get too far into playing it, so not that familiar with.
Must get have another look at it to see what era it covers.

A little explanation to image in previous post ...

The circular black counter with the white stylised is the Goth province control marker.
The brown & gold one is the Vandals province control marker.
(any province without a control marker or without an enemy army present is deemed to be under Byzantine control.

The purple marker in the Bulgars/Avars box indicates a Barbarian tribe allied to the Byzantines (ie: bribes have been paid ;) )

On the counters, the red number is the action/movement points (to be explained in rules) ... the black number the unit's Strength Points (these will be reflected in the size of the army on the FOGII battlefield)

Barbarian and Sassanid army sizes will be determined by charts and die rolls (still being finalised) and Byzantine armies by moneys in their treasury (it's streamlining and simplifying this aspect that's proving the most tricky)

Just to give you an idea, if you're interested ... here's a Dropbox link to the original boardgame rules I am adapting for this: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvn1wx9dc2t4rqo/justinian_rules.pdf?dl=0

Back