Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Regular British/Commonwealth Infantry

I can't play the Brits like I play anyone else. As it happens they nearly always turn up with a huge amount of artillery that's accurate and quick.

Just for fun, I decided to look this up in the QB purchase screen to find out if Brit artillery is faster.

I found that it's actually slower. If we compare the stuff both US and British forces have:

2x81mm mortar
US calltime 5 min
British calltime 6 min

4x75mm pack howitzer
US calltime 7 min
British calltime 8 min

British 88mm (25 pounder)
Calltime 10 min

US 155mm
Calltime 9 min

And another funny thing: The points price for the 75mm Howitzers is the same: 240 points. This makes sense.

But the British mortars cost 165 points, whereas the US gets the exact (I assume) same mortars for 126 points... However, the US gets 10 shells more than the Brits.

Last edited:
But the British mortars cost 165 points, whereas the US gets the exact (I assume) same mortars for 126 points... However, the US gets 10 shells more than the Brits.

Interesting. I pretty much never play QBs so I was unaware of the point costs.

I've been playing pretty much exclusively as the Brits for a couple of months and haven't played the Americans in ages. So perhaps my perception is based on the design of the scenarios. As I say, there always seems to be a large amount of artillery available (often "arriving" as reinforcements) and it seems quicker than I was used to. Perhaps that's because I always seem to have quite a few TRPs which I don't remember getting quite so often.

I'm also not sure the effect the quality of FOs has. Could scenario design again been a factor?

So scenarios with lots of arty available combined with low firepowered infantry mean you have to play them in a different way. Which is interesting (but often tricky).

I'm also not sure the effect the quality of FOs has. Could scenario design again been a factor?

So scenarios with lots of arty available combined with low firepowered infantry mean you have to play them in a different way.

Yes, definitely. The Scottish Corridor campaign is really good.. each scenario gives the player a different challenge. There are some scenarios where the little Bren carrier becomes the queen of the battlefield.

There are some scenarios where the little Bren carrier becomes the queen of the battlefield.

I have learned to love the Bren carrier. I seem to get on much better with them than any form of halftrack. No idea why. Halftracks seem to end up as target practice for the enemy tanks when I'm playing.

And there is nothing quite as exciting in CM as seeing a Bren carrier moving and firing with a couple of guys astride the sides blasting away. Especially if they've got Brens too.

I did not cover myself in glory in the Scottish Corridor though. I found the missions a bit too tough. I like a challenge but too often I found really going after the objective made the next scenario impossible due to casualties in the previous one. In the end I was often not going for all the objectives just to keep my losses down.

I just checked up on the numbers in the QB screen, and I have to admit I remembered some numbers wrong. In fairness, a Tiger I doesn't cost 300 points - it costs around 370 depending on version. So the British Churchill VII is in fact somewhat cheaper at 293 points. Also, the model VII is where you get a 75mm gun. So there's that.

However, I still think there are many pricing oddities. Here's an example I am sure of, because I have it on screen right now:

A Stuart III Recce costs 110 points. It's a Stuart without a turret, only armed with a .50 cal.

You could also pay 101 points and get a Stuart V. That one comes not only with a turret, but with a whopping 174 shells.

So unless there's something I'm overlooking, the Recce version should be much cheaper than the version V. But it's actually more expensive.
I do agree that there are pricing oddities. But that is a different issue :). I haven't really played that much QBs, especially before registering here.

Back