Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Reporting for duty, Suh!

N

NormanDStudent

Wargamed a fair bit in my distant youth (HO scale miniatures plus several Avalon Hill games). Have read mil hist (and lots of other hist) all my life. Took up Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy (my first ever computer wargame!) a couple years back as an adjunct to intensive reading on the Normandy campaign and on tactics more generally. Have learned a lot from it, both about the real Normandy goings on and about CMBN! Recently added board wargaming again, with France 1944 from Compass Games.

Canadian who's lived in the States most of my life (w coast Florida then NJ since ~1980). Trained in analytic philosophy. Worked most of my career (ongoing) as a financial software developer (C++ in recent decades), with a 10y break in the middle to teach in a high school (math, philosophy, logic mostly).

Discovered FGM through Usually Hapless's *FANTASTIC* YT channel. My favorite mil hist period is WW2 through 1970s, gradually tailing off before and after that period. Considering buying CM: Fortress Italy next. (I don't spend money readily, except on books--my wife helps me slow down there.) Wishlist for CM: (1) Burma Campaign; (2) Korean War; (3) Arab-Israeli Wars 1940s thru 73. Chiefly here for book recs, game-versus-history comparisons. But may eventually stick my toe in the P2P CM waters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big welcome to the Club @NormanDStudent The Few Good Men are welcoming you!.... You will find a lot of interesting people here
Please check out the links which are there to help you

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/site-manual.25/
http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/forums/combat-mission-x2-world-war-two.160/

If you have any questions or need some help with the site, please feel free to contact our official welcome committee member Hedgehog and Shorker. he will be happy to assist you. Just click on the names in the members list or underneath the avatar picture and then on "Start A Conversation" or reply

Welcome and enjoy! Be careful with trying out P2P combat mission. It broke single player for me, too much fun!

Welcome aboard NormanDStudent
CMFI is a very nice game series about an often overlooked theater.
The Sicily maps look hot and sunny compared to France and the Netherlands in CMBN.

Welcome and enjoy! Be careful with trying out P2P combat mission. It broke single player for me, too much fun!
I'm sure that's true. Right now I'm trying to get to the point where I beat the AI handily every time. Not there yet. Once there's no challenge left there, I plan to go full addiction against human opponents.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard NormanDStudent
CMFI is a very nice game series about an often overlooked theater.
The Sicily maps look hot and sunny compared to France and the Netherlands in CMBN.
I agree that Sicily/Italy is much overlooked (though I think Burma has it beat in that regard). The CMFI samples that I've looked at are indeed attractive. The terrain is much more interesting than most of Normandy, and as you point out, the sun shows up much more often. Definite plus. Some of the Normandy battles make my feet feel cold and wet.

Welcome neighbor. :)
Thanks! I had to look up Blue Point -- a new New York location for me! I'm afraid my knowledge of Long Island is minimal.

Are there any useful wargaming gatherings in the greater NYC area? (When it's not pandemic season, that is?)

Wait for Final Blitzkrieg. The Hurtgen Forest maps look and feel cold damp and wet!

Wait for Final Blitzkrieg. The Hurtgen Forest maps look and feel cold damp and wet!
Fire and rubble does a good job on this as well. Im in a large game at the moment in the middle of a blizzard.... brrr... Icey coldness going through your bones, low visibility and a large fairly open map make a really creepy sort of cat and mouse game.

I'm moving my men from forest patch to forest patch feeling guilty everytime I order them out of their halftracks into the cold snow...

1620612498307.png

Welcome to the club ...Have a donut!

I think it was more like "wait till you see"... It had me confused as well.
That's how I took it. Plus I had indicated that I'm very cheap and slow to buy games, so he was anticipating it might be a while. Which is undoubtedly correct!

That's what they call a gate way drug. :ROFLMAO:
I know it's a bit late, welcome and happy gaming. :)
That's exactly the phrase that was popping into my mind when I wrote that post.
Thanks for the welcome. Incidentally, you've got my favorite avatar picture at FGM. Very brigadierish indeed!

Back