Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Roman Empire

Germanic tribes wipe out three Roman Legions at Battle of Teutoburg Forest, AD 9

BatofTeutoburgForAD9.jpg

I love the Roman Empire, pisses me off that they were defeated by the invading barbarian tribes.

Every empire, whether ancient or modern, brings its destruction upon itself. Had it not been barbarians, another culture, or the citizens themselves would have eventually taken over. Sadly, people are corruptable, and although empires and government start with good intentions, with time the corrupt megalomaniacs end up in control. Once that occurs, either the people will rise up, or an adversary will exploit the weakness. The irony, is that once the current regime is deposed, the new regime vows to prevent another. Eventually, they too, become complacent and end up in the same situation as those they replaced.

Viscious, never-ending cycle, but one as humans, we are doomed to repeat.

I'm fascinated by the Roman Empire, partially because I'm of Roman descent, but also because of all the engineering marvels they created, just to be lost until the renassaince. In my humble opinion, (note I said opinion), I see a few countries following in the path of the Romans, the good old US of A included.

Every empire, whether ancient or modern, brings its destruction upon itself. Had it not been barbarians, another culture, or the citizens themselves would have eventually taken over. Sadly, people are corruptable, and although empires and government start with good intentions, with time the corrupt megalomaniacs end up in control. Once that occurs, either the people will rise up, or an adversary will exploit the weakness. The irony, is that once the current regime is deposed, the new regime vows to prevent another. Eventually, they too, become complacent and end up in the same situation as those they replaced.

Viscious, never-ending cycle, but one as humans, we are doomed to repeat.

I'm fascinated by the Roman Empire, partially because I'm of Roman descent, but also because of all the engineering marvels they created, just to be lost until the renassaince. In my humble opinion, (note I said opinion), I see a few countries following in the path of the Romans, the good old US of A included.
I speak of this all the time to my friends and sometimes they look at me as if I have gone mad. It is nice to see someone also can see that we are just repeating history with the noble (at least in theory noble) desire to make our society fairer or better.

This skull was found in France, with a knife still embedded it it. The skull belonged to a Roman solider who died during the Gallic Wars, ca. 52BC. It was on display at the Museo Rocsen in Cordoba province, Argentina.
G2EAHRs.jpg

Last edited:
Romans were very good/wise to adopt weaponry and engineering skills from the people they fought and/or conquered. If they thought it was better then they themselves used.
And they never accepted defeat. A good example are the Punic Wars. Especially in the Second war they were defeated often and were even crushed, but they kept on going and eventually wore Carthage down and learned how to defeat/cope with the tactics of Hannibal and the cavalry and elephants.

Reactions: mTk
Back