Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Sd.Kfz. 251 (Half-track)

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
The Sd.Kfz. 251 half-track was an armored fighting vehicle designed and first built by the Hanomag company during WWII.-

Was designed to transport the panzergrenadiers of the German mechanized infantry corps into battle. Sd.Kfz. 251s were the most widely produced German half-tracks of the war, with over 15,252 vehicles and variants produced in total by various manufacturers, and were commonly referred to simply as "Hanomags" by both German and Allied soldiers.-

mLuYYCl.jpg

Last edited:
That middle picture is an HT of the 116th Panzer Division or the "Windhund (Greyhound) Division" .
Arguably one the the best units in the Wehrmacht.
I believe they reached the furthest west during the Battle of the Bulge.
Nice pic Nort.

I wonder if that was in the Falaise Gap?
Exact, exact, I don't know.
The picture is related to the night action of July 29-30, 1944, during the Normandy campaign. It was during a furious armored battle that isolated and badly outnumbered elements of Combat Command B found themselves squarely in the path of the 2nd and 7th SS Panzer divisions and elements of the 6th Parachute Regiment.

Throughout the night, the GIs from CCB fought a series of tough, independent actions against the SS tankers that were determined to break through their positions. As the sun rose over the battlefield, the survivors of CCB were shocked at the destruction they had caused in what the locals had called, since the Hundred Years’ War, the “Land of the Dead.”

I had no idea, thanks @Louis !

High-quality paint was not always available in large enough quantities, so another very common solution was whitewash, an inexpensive paint or stain made from lime and chalk dissolved in water. While readily available, whitewash is not very durable and would wash or wear off fairly quickly. This also meant it could be removed quite easily in spring.

Paint or whitewash were applied in almost every way conceivable, from cleanly brushing or spraying it on in field workshops, to slopping it on with brooms and mops. In many cases, crews appear to have splashed paint on directly from a bucket.

Back