Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Short S.25 Sunderland (Flying boat bomber)

Louis

FGM Lieutenant General
FGM MEMBER
Reaction score
Castelar, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina.
5j4ZIy7.jpg

The Sunderland was developed from the early British flying boats prior to World War II. The first Sunderland flew in 1937 and was the first British flying boat to have power-operated gun turrets. Capable of staying airborne for 16 hours, they were used for coastal patrol, cargo, air-sea rescue, and convoy protection against enemy submarines.

Because of the many guns protruding from the aircraft, the Germans dubbed it the “Flying Porcupine”!

Early Sunderlands were powered with the Bristol Pegasus sleeve-valve engines. Unbelievably for an aircraft with an endurance of 16 hours, they were not equipped with feathering propellers.

The British had been flying the American PBY Catalina flying boats and were very satisfied with their Pratt & Whitney engines. Because of the engine’s feathering propellers and extra horsepower, the decision was made to incorporate them on the Sunderlands, beginning with the production of the Sunderland Mk V.

IXD9CQh.jpg

xln6Ay8.jpg

Mk I version

vUKLQO0.jpg

abqUoRw.jpg

Two gunners in a Short Sunderland Mk I sit at their positions with .303 Vickers K-type machine guns, mounted in the upper fuselage hatches.

Reactions: mTk
In the "ureigensten Sinne" (???quintessential meaning???) a "Ship of the Skies". Reminds me a bit on the ships of the line.

Greetings

Bisto Beef Gravy Granules

fWt2AHP.png

Actually I was going to say something snarky like "Beef granules...yum" but looking it up you can actually find it on Amazon.
Turns out it says #1 Best Seller in Beef Gravy. :cool:

NiSdmDn.png

Reactions: mTk
Back