Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

SIEGE OF BASTOGNE - possible successor tourney to Fall Of The Third Reich

"standard U.S. 76mm AP shells can kill Panthers, Tigers, King Tigers from the front or side at 600 meters without too much trouble." - I would questions that assessment. In fact, I find that the US 76mm gun has a lot of difficulty and need multiple hits (5-6, sometimes more) to knock down either a Tiger or a Panther from the distances below 500m. I don't think they stand a chance against King Tiger. Was I super unlucky?

I ran tests this a.m., sometimes you get a 1st hit kill, sometimes it may take 2-3 hits, depends where you hit of course, but there are multiple weak spots. Important point is that it can be done. Obviously as U.S. players, you don’t want to go mano-a-mano, it is all about setting up an ambush.

"standard U.S. 76mm AP shells can kill Panthers, Tigers, King Tigers from the front or side at 600 meters without too much trouble." - I would questions that assessment. In fact, I find that the US 76mm gun has a lot of difficulty and need multiple hits (5-6, sometimes more) to knock down either a Tiger or a Panther from the distances below 500m. I don't think they stand a chance against King Tiger. Was I super unlucky?

There is the tungsten round (ACPR) which does the trick, but not really against a King Tiger either. It is rare, though.

Also keep in mind that the M10 TD and the 76mm Sherman guns are not the same (although very similar).

It may take 2-3 hits? First of all, you won't get 2-3 hits unless you have a clear numerical superiority. Second In my games it takes way more than 2-3 hits. Of course, sometimes you get lucky and disable the gun. Other than that, you need a side shot and you can get that even with the US 75mm gun.
I am not advocating to impose a limitation to German player purchase. I am just stating that the 76mm gun is not a good counter to Panther or Tiger 9not to mention the King Tiger). I never tried Jackson though. Maybe the 90mm gun works much better.
In fact, in CMBN brits have a good counter in the way of the 17lb. US does not.
Just my opinion.

M10 late comes with 2 or 3 tungsten rounds and a huge rarity cost. Shermans don't.

I ran some more controlled tests and @Larsen is partly right. All tests at 600 meters.

76 mm: will not penetrate KT front, but will penetrate KT side and Panther front and side.
75 mm: will not penetrate KT front and side or Panther front, but will penetrate Panther side.
57 mm: will not penetrate KT or Panther front, but will penetrate KT and Panther side.

I did not test HVAP (APCR in game), it was very rare in December as reflected by the rarity cost.

The 57mm ATG looks like the most cost effective, performs better that the 75mm M4 and is dirt cheap.

Did you distinguish between a penetration and a partial penetration? I my games I was not able to get a full penetration to the front turret neither on Panther nor on Tiger with the US 76mm. Approximately one out of three hits to the turret would achieve a partial penetration.

hi, no because partial penetrations often turns out to be a kill since the crew will bail out. Again 76mm is not guaranteed kill to the front of a Panther, but I saw a lot of lower front hull hits resulting in partial/full penetrations and even a weapon mount (front turret) penetration.

I have attached the scenario if anyone wants to try it out. Give the Panthers a short covered arc so they don't fire back.

Attachments

• 76 vs Panther.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 1
Back