Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

SIEGE OF BASTOGNE - possible successor tourney to Fall Of The Third Reich

in terms of restrictions, it depends on how realistic you want to make this, the German forces attacking Bastogne, 2nd Panzer, Panzer Lehr, et al. had no Tigers, only Panzer IVs and Vs. I have the OOB if needed.

re: weather, mostly fog, overcast, muddy Dec. 16-21st and lots of snow starting on Dec. 22nd.

Perhaps in the beginning the weather should be overcast-mist-fog with wet-muddy conditions leading in to later rounds with snow.
This would discourage heavy tanks, especially in off road movement, and eliminate air power as a choice.

I would not put any historical limitations on force selection. Just let players use any units they want. I would prefer to limit artillery to 81mm for small size battles.
Just my opinion.

Yeah I agree with what @Larsen said. Sure it may sound good or fun on paper, restricting units and weather etc. IMHO it’s no fun having a tank get stuck in the mud barely moving out of the SZ. In a small battle, like these will be, it can cost you the battle.

As for restricting units, I’m just not into it, just love the total freedom of anything goes. Though I do think the 1 cat limit from the last tourney helped to keep things balanced. Perhaps a 1 King Tiger limit is in order this time around. I am admittedly much less familiar with CMFB OOB and their cost and rarity.

Here slightly revised QUICK BATTLE rules for the proposed Bastogne Tourneys.

It's not meant as a campaign, but as a fun Quick Battle tourney, where players pit their wits against each other -- to advance as quickly as possible and at same time slow down their competitors as much as possible.

QUICK BATTLE SETTINGS (edited after further input)

Battle Type: Probe or Meeting Engagement (alternating each round)

Battle Size: Small

Length: 30 minutes

Map: Provided by GM -- MAP PREVIEW allowed (everybody uses the same map per round)

Region: Ardennes

Year: 1944

Month: December

Daylight: DAY (default - can be changed by agreement by BOTH players)

Weather: Random

Ground: Attacker selection

Rarity: Standard

Combat Force: MIX (is default but players can agree on other settings like all-infantry... as long as they are reasonably balanced)

Service: attacker and defender each can discuss and choose - (just make sure that if you set it to MIX, that the arm of service or country actually HAS tanks or armour)

Unit purchase: Human

LIMITS

Artillery

Meeting Engagements: no TRPs, no pre-planning artillery.
Probe: defender is allowed to purchase TRPs, attacker allowed to set pre-planned artillery missions.

No limits on calibres -- too few points anyway for anything large and battles too quick.

Big Cats
1 King Tiger limit

Air Support
No air support allowed.

The above settings are the DEFAULT -- if they want, PLAYERS can adjust these settings for their particular battle by mutual agreement/consent !

Last edited:
Did a quick check, using standard rarity attacking in a small battle you could only purchase 1 KT anyway.
Rarity is about 2100pts, without any enhanced quality, and the allowance is 2248pts.
Any enhancements, experience/motivation/leadership and you can easily exceed the allotted rarity points.

You could make the region the Ardennes if, as you point out, it would make any difference.
Do you think the Region would effect the OOB?
I think it would just effect the the QB map selection.

Not sure we need a “big cats” limitation as by this point US have enough firepower to handle them?
I never liked that any way so, I'm good with it gone.

I really liked your tournament format so, sign me up. Changes to how you randomly assign opponents that you proposed sound good. Perhaps you could do it shuffled play list style - randomize the list once and rotate opponents instead of random assignment each round. At any rate your plan to change up who faces off against whom is good.

As, I said - Sign me up!

I never liked that any way so, I'm good with it gone.

I really liked your tournament format so, sign me up. Changes to how you randomly assign opponents that you proposed sound good. Perhaps you could do it shuffled play list style - randomize the list once and rotate opponents instead of random assignment each round. At any rate your plan to change up who faces off against whom is good.

As, I said - Sign me up!
When make the official call for participants, I'll give the Fall of 3rd Reich players first dibs on tourney spots.

When make the official call for participants, I'll give the Fall of 3rd Reich players first dibs on tourney spots.
Yeah ditto here, def wanna play in this new one as well. Could always re-run the fall of the reich again with the new players. Got all the maps done anyway, just the admin stuff to do. Also possibly could get somebody else to run it and hand over the maps for each Rd. Anyways, just a thought!

I think you got a ”hit” format here @Rico

Yeah ditto here, def wanna play in this new one as well. Could always re-run the fall of the reich again with the new players. Got all the maps done anyway, just the admin stuff to do. Also possibly could get somebody else to run it and hand over the maps for each Rd. Anyways, just a thought!

Just had a thought yesterday evening -- could also do a Battle Of Berlin version using CMFR (which I don't have yet) ... Russian commanders fighting their way through to Berlin and then the Reichstag.

Just had a thought yesterday evening -- could also do a Battle Of Berlin version using CMFR (which I don't have yet) ... Russian commanders fighting their way through to Berlin and then the Reichstag.
Yeah I thought of that too since in Gunners FR tourney we're playing a Berlin map in April 45. Lots of other choices too, Stalingrad or Kursk. D-day stuff and of course Market Garden with the airborne landings, a bridge too far! Good times! :D

I'm down with that!

Sounds great. You could design a handful (one down, one in progress and an idea for another one) and then you or others could run them once a year basically forever.

sounds like the party is already full but throw my name into the hat too please. I prefer historical formations than the fantasy-win units that some of the QB'ers love, but will fight it out whatever.

sounds like the party is already full but throw my name into the hat too please. I prefer historical formations than the fantasy-win units that some of the QB'ers love, but will fight it out whatever.
Put my name down if any spaces left...
Official sign up is here:

But I’ll put your names down.

I dusted off CMFB and yes, no real need for strict restrictions, the current rules proposal by Rico is fine. With the point limit and standard rarity, neither side can buy much armour and standard U.S. 76mm AP shells can kill Panthers, Tigers, King Tigers from the front or side at 600 meters without too much trouble.

Back