Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

SKYRIM

V

Von Reich

Ok, I cant take it!

I have Skyrim and been playing for several hours.

I am using the default Skyrim "high quality" settings. (Ultra staggers like no tomorrow)

My computer:

8GB 1066 RAM
3.2 AMD Phenom "Black edition" 4x core
1 TB Sata 3Gb
ATI Radeon 5870
8 series MSI ATI motherboard
Dell U2711 monitor (running at 2550 x 1440)
Latest AMD catalyst drivers

PLENTY of fan cooling

An Excellent PC so WTF?

The game runs "smooth" meaning that the very slight choppiness is acceptable, but the shadows and textures are a bit unforgivable for such a new game.

Fallout 3's graphics and smooth playability on "Ultra" settings are FAR superior so far.

BTW....I am also running "Game Booster v3.1" to kill all unwanted processes and services while I game.

So what gives? Some one PLEASE tell me they have found something that works that I am missing or a MOD that makes the graphics on this game what they should be!

My system specs are very similar to yours:

4 Gig RAM

AMD Black edition 965 - 3.4 ghz

2 TB Sata HD

ATI 6870

8 series MSI ATI motherboard

Samsung monitor (Running 1920 x 1080)

AMD Catalyst version 11.12 (released yesterday or today I think)

I am running the game at a lower resoluton and it seems OK - not great but OK.

One of the biggest problems is that Skyrim apparently doesn't recognize RAM above 2GB which pretty much limits the performance you can achieve. Funny fact: Because of this the game runs fine with medium details on an old AGP graphics card. Plus it seems to have (had) a memory leak, so your RAM will fill up until there's no more place to store data - and that's when the stuttering begins, even with lower details.

Two solutions you can combine: 1) The so-called '4GB Skyrim' (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1013) - it simply patches the EXE to recognize that your system has more than 2GB RAM and makes it possible for the game to use the entire 4GB RAM space. 2) Use 'Improved New Skyrim Shadows for Medium-Range PC' (http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=283) -this mod reduces the shadow maps to half the size while making them look more natural. HUGE reducement in lags and more natural look even with lesser quality shadows. I use that one, too, and it works fine.

Hope that helps - any more questions, simply ask me. Been moding the Elder Scrolls since Morrowind days, so I do know a bit about the mods you need. :tongue:

[h=1][/h]

Thanks Earl. Man, you never cease to amaze me with the quantity and quality of your \gaming knowledge. That's a very kewl site. Cant believe so many mods are out already.

1) It seems (even with the controls and inventories) that this game was primary designed for console games.
2) They need to come out with a patch to address PC users. I mean, come on.....PCs are still a huge market.

Going to install those mods now. :)

Well, let's say I have a history. Gaming is a HUGE hobby of mine and over the years I have accumulated a lot of knowledge. A certain Chinese hero once said: "Knowing a trifle about everything gives life more color." - Of course I'm still far from that, but I do know a lot about a lot of stuff and something about almost everything. :tongue:

I find when the game starts to stager I save then come out of the game and then back in, but I only get trouble after 2 -3 hrs of playing !! Great game for exploring and development of your charcter .

Well, I just got it and have mostly just been installing mods. I find the Mod Manager invaluable for successful installation. Sure took me some time to figure out how to make it work and then I thought "Oblivion!" and remembered how I did it for that game. Actually, I see almost no difference between Skyrim and Oblivion...not that that is a bad thing.

I'm still on the fence with Skyrim. The mods Earl mentioned did help though. I put it down for a little bit. Started playing Rage and Battlefield 3.

I like both of those ALOT.

The so-called "Large Address Aware" isn't needed anymorwe, though, because the latest patch fixed that problem. Tried it and it works fine. It even ran fine on a mid-range system with an old AGP graphics card (medium details and no mods, though). I guess that#s the reason why the graphics can be imporved upon so much in some aspects.

I don't have any mods, except one of the sky mods.
I tried with some enhancers and shaders, but it does not look nice for me. I have also tried performance booster, and it slowed down game for me :):)

I was on the fence about getting rage but it seems to have a lot of reported problems and complaints if it being too short.
Opinion?
I'm running Skyrim on a quad core and XP. It seems to be running just fine for me.
Rage is a good but I am stuck because at one part of the game you have to win a race in a buggy , trying to drive the dame thing on a keyboard is in possible so I can not move on in the game :-(

MTK, I think you would like Rage.

I think the graphics are awesome and I think the playability is very kewl.

HOWEVER, I will say that it is not a ground breaking game. It seems like they've "ripped" off ideas from numerous games and put it all together.

The game it MOSTLY rips off is Borderlands. In fact, one could argue that it is basically Borderlands with better graphics.

Aside from that, I think it's a very fun game. I havent gotten that far in it though.

If you are playing alot of good games now, it can wait till later when the price comes down a bit.

If you want an action packed,amazing graphics explosion, must have game...buy Battlefield 3!!!!

....just thought of Metro 2033. Some things in this game remind me of that too.

METRO 2033 is an AWESOME game BTW.....

Yeah, I loved Borderlands so I guess I'm sold. Won't be an immediate purchase though because I'm neck deep in Skyrim, thus getting us back on topic.
I'm a mod maniac for anything involving the UI or graphics in general. I don't do anything remotely involved with any kind of a cheat.
That said I stumbled upon a little .ini code that does wonders for the world map. Just trust me on this one.
Go find your skyrim.ini file.
If you don't have a [MapMenu] topic make one and then type in the following or make adjustments:

[MapMenu]
sMapCloudNIF=0
fMapWorldMaxHeight=150000.0000
fMapWorldMinHeight=7000.0000
bWorldMapNoSkyDepthBlur=1
fWorldMapDepthBlurScale=0
fMapWorldZoomSpeed=0.3700
fMapWorldMaxPitch=400.0000
fMapWorldYawRange=400.0000
uLockedObjectMapLOD=8
uLockedTerrainLOD=8

You are going to be soo pleased you're going to want to send me money, but please, no. I do it for FGM.:shame:

Havent delved too far into this yet.... I did choose the Imperial side at the start... what side did you guys go for.... rogue King wannabe or Imperial?

I'm working alone....but recently Imperials put bounty on my head...I was runing through the forest in my werewolf form and run on couple of imperial soldiers. They attacked me on sight so i run away ( altough it was very attempting to shred them to peaces )...Then i reverted back to human form, but they found me and continued their attack. Tried to holster my Wuuthrad battle axe - no help. So i hit them hard....

Back