Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Some points and complaints with CW

S

SGTJAW

(If you go both here and on the battlefront forum you are likely to see this there, was originally going to post just there but it turns out I don't have an account!)

I would like to preface by saying I have loved the US campaign so far and assuming I ever finish planning for the defense of the hill in mission 4 I will be sure that nothing but good things are to follow!

Having waited a few days for questions about capabilities to be answered my torture regarding opening up with the M60's has been answered (You should, I think?)

I have noticed that the Soviet units seem remarkably able to spot, aim and execute units that in some cases are hidden in treelines and have yet to fire, speaking from a position rather close to ignorance I cannot tell if this is just experience on the soviet units or actual capabilities but the ability to shoot an M60 from 1500 meters that is hidden in a shaded hulldown is impressive, if not a little annoying.

I was going to throw this in the bug thread but seeing it not brought up means it either is just me or a known issue but the overpass on the first mission, for me Units that have orders to move under it are just teleporting on top of the overpass about 80% of the time and in the end I had to restart mission 1 because ~6 units clipped into each other and couldn’t move until a Soviet added ventilation to them.

Another issue for me was the 3rd mission, with the potash pile (forgive me for forgetting names, I'm bad enough with English let alone German...) In this scenario I lost the lion's share of my armored assets and most of 1st platoon in a heroic final stance yet no units had reached the second town and from my position not a single Soviet was able to advance with 20 minutes left, nothing had moved in 5 minutes and from the cease-fire there was only 2 badly degraded BMP's limping towards me and the expected sprinkling of imobbed and bogged units yet it was a major defeat? Moreover, and I understand this is from the victory condition, but the briefing for the next mission described how I was unable to stop the horde taking the secondary town and I inflicted light casualties upon them. I understand that there are differing outcomes leading to different briefings but was I expected to mount up and clear the first town again to deny them points?

As a final thing I noticed, are Soviet troops carrying the LAW too?

I don't want it to seem like from this I dislike the game and would like to again say that the doctrinal change from WW2 and CMBS/SF2 has been a very interesting dynamic that I love, moreover the goal of staged retreats lights some giddy smile when it is pulled off well and nothing can beat the US small arms of this era. Hope this is somewhat constructive...

James

I was going to throw this in the bug thread but seeing it not brought up means it either is just me or a known issue but the overpass on the first mission, for me Units that have orders to move under it are just teleporting on top of the overpass about 80% of the time and in the end I had to restart mission 1 because ~6 units clipped into each other and couldn’t move until a Soviet added ventilation to them.
I do not play CW (yet) so cannot comment on the other things. But this one I would definitely post over at BFC and mention benpark with it. I know a bug with teleported bridges has been mentioned in the Berlin maps of fire and rubble. Sounds like the same issue.

I do not play CW (yet) so cannot comment on the other things. But this one I would definitely post over at BFC and mention benpark with it. I know a bug with teleported bridges has been mentioned in the Berlin maps of fire and rubble. Sounds like the same issue.
Yeah was the plan just waiting to get my account verified, though it makes sense this would be an engine wide issue.

I have noticed that the Soviet units seem remarkably able to spot, aim and execute units that in some cases are hidden in treelines and have yet to fire, speaking from a position rather close to ignorance I cannot tell if this is just experience on the soviet units or actual capabilities but the ability to shoot an M60 from 1500 meters that is hidden in a shaded hulldown is impressive, if not a little annoying.
Yep. In the earlier part of the time frame the Soviet equipment is better than the US equipment. Being hull down in a tree line is pretty good. Just remember you are not hull down to everywhere though and if their location is visible to a lot of the map then more eyes = more chance someone will see you.

Yeah, bridges can lead to issues. The teleporting issue normally resolves itself but is anoying. The issue of units clipping and becoming stuck is new. Is it possible you jut had a bad traffic jam? Units will clip in the 3D world but that clipping is just visual. Units will also get jammed pretty good sometimes. It is worth it to spend time managing traffic through choke points to avoid jams. If units get into a jam cancel all the vehicles involved movement orders. Then have one or two at the front move forward and one or two at the rear move backward and gradually get everyone untangled.

If they were truly stuck then yeah its a bug.

Do you have a save?

I understand this is from the victory condition, but the briefing for the next mission described how I was unable to stop the horde taking the secondary town and I inflicted light casualties upon them. I understand that there are differing outcomes leading to different briefings but was I expected to mount up and clear the first town again to deny them points?
Yeah, you have to pay attention to the objectives and make sure you clear the occupy objectives. The game does not have a heuristic that takes an impression of how well you did it only calculates the score based on the objectives. It is of course possible for there to be a problem with the briefing that can lead you astray and that would not be intentional (in terms of what your objective are - I realize that briefings sometimes do intentionally mislead you on other things). What I'm saying is the next mission saying "you failed to stop the horde" has not idea the actual condition of the enemy in the last encounter it just knows you lost from a score point of view.

As a final thing I noticed, are Soviet troops carrying the LAW too?
Better than that they have a wide variety of RPGs Yeah don't get too close with armour to Soviet infantry if you can avoid it.

I don't want it to seem like from this I dislike the game and would like to again say that the doctrinal change from WW2 and CMBS/SF2 has been a very interesting dynamic that I love, moreover the goal of staged retreats lights some giddy smile when it is pulled off well and nothing can beat the US small arms of this era. Hope this is somewhat constructive...

James
Welcome and heck yeah!

The Soviets have the RPG 18, which is a copy of the US LAW.

Yep. In the earlier part of the time frame the Soviet equipment is better than the US equipment. Being hull down in a tree line is pretty good. Just remember you are not hull down to everywhere though and if their location is visible to a lot of the map then more eyes = more chance someone will see you.
I understand, its not my first rodeo! Having mentioned it in the Battlefront forum I had no idea of the depth of technological disadvantage, it was more my naivete following my last purchase, BS, leading my to just assume...
Yeah, bridges can lead to issues. The teleporting issue normally resolves itself but is anoying. The issue of units clipping and becoming stuck is new. Is it possible you jut had a bad traffic jam? Units will clip in the 3D world but that clipping is just visual. Units will also get jammed pretty good sometimes. It is worth it to spend time managing traffic through choke points to avoid jams. If units get into a jam cancel all the vehicles involved movement orders. Then have one or two at the front move forward and one or two at the rear move backward and gradually get everyone untangled.

If they were truly stuck then yeah its a bug.

Do you have a save?
It was a very odd situation, ignore the weird save names and such, started a game on real time by accident so it wanted to be 002 not 001 but its attached. Hvaing looked again I cant attach it... It might be too large.
Playing it again the units werent glitched, the pathing freaking out from units popping in and out of the way, and this isn't even the worst save!
Yeah, you have to pay attention to the objectives and make sure you clear the occupy objectives. The game does not have a heuristic that takes an impression of how well you did it only calculates the score based on the objectives. It is of course possible for there to be a problem with the briefing that can lead you astray and that would not be intentional (in terms of what your objective are - I realize that briefings sometimes do intentionally mislead you on other things). What I'm saying is the next mission saying "you failed to stop the horde" has not idea the actual condition of the enemy in the last encounter it just knows you lost from a score point of view.
I was just surprised that that was what my score equaled, I understand the issues surrounding these things, play enough modded campaigns and its hard to ignore. I t was more that aside from my fairly heavy casualties I felt like that was the best possible defense...
Better than that they have a wide variety of RPGs Yeah don't get too close with armour to Soviet infantry if you can avoid it.
Having looked it up I was under the impression they had RPG-26's, that do not extend, my bad there. (having said that it is a pet peeve of mine that all these disposable launchers, even in SF2, are perpetually extended...)
Welcome and heck yeah!
Yeah thanks man, my new favorite moment is killing 3 full BMP-2's with 2 M113's in a hill to die on, 50. AP-I doesn't mess around!

Back