Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Spotting issues after upgrades.....

O

Overwatch

Hi just curious if anyone else has any issues with units spotting after upgrades are installed perhaps with the z folder intact at the same time...
I'm almost willing to re purchase the CM titles and start over.... I am using a mac as well....
I was playing In for a penny in for a pound yesterday the version that has extra units as the germans and one of my tanks couldn't see the enemy tank 50'
in front of it.... I also notice some Platoon leaders are not in radio contact even when stationary with higher command.
Any thoughts would be very appreciated sorry I'm not digging through the forums to answer my question I'm a bit pressed for time...

Best

Martin

Whatever you do don't repurchase anything - this is not something caused by install issues. I do not believe any mods can have effects like that. In fact I am certain of that.

Either the game is working as designed and giving you surprising results - that happens a lot. Or you have stumbled on a bug. Some spotting issues are surprising and quite frankly one of the times the game is the most surprising is at close quarters. Do you have a save of the game in question?

As for radios they do not function flawlessly and can take some time to come back on line after moving. Again a save will help.

Neither of these issues have been reported since the patch.

I recommend my FAQ thread over at the BFC forums (shameless plug ;-): http://community.battlefront.com/topic/125783-the-cm2-faq-thread/

In particular there are three links about spotting that would be a good introduction:

you are most kind to answer me... I don't have any footage but if I ever encounter it again i will try and log it to show you....

Awesome on the posts and info attached!

Martin

Lots of problems have been reported since the upgrades. My games have been absolutely plagued with issues. It is unfortunate. Battlefront came from a very good place and wanted to correct a number of minor issues, but sadly created some major ones.

I've had a problem where units actually do spot enemy units, but they are unable to fire on them. Had a Panther sitting 80 metres from an enemy Sherman that kept firing on the Panther, but the German tank could not return fire. Also I had a deployed MG able to spot but not fire at enemy troops.

I was playing In for a penny in for a pound yesterday the version that has extra units as the germans and one of my tanks couldn't see the enemy tank 50'
in front of it....

Are you sure there was no smoke? A typical problem is that the user forgot toggling off the smoke.

Lots of problems have been reported since the upgrades. My games have been absolutely plagued with issues. It is unfortunate. Battlefront came from a very good place and wanted to correct a number of minor issues, but sadly created some major ones.

?? what major ones? The only outstanding issue that could be considered major that I am awared of is the problem of soldiers behind bocage in CMBN sometimes "retreating" towards the enemy.

@A Canadian Cat First, again, BF deserves praise for trying to solve minor issues. The negative side effects are very unfortunate.

Here are some bugs that are in a game I am having right now with @Pekische

The retreat bug (reported) is not just related to hedgerows and can ruin PBEMs. Guys just run toward their enemies who are firing on them. Both me and my opponent are affected by this, but it hurts the defender more.

There is a mortar bug where all or some mortars will suddenly read "out of range" when targeting at any range. This one was present in the old version, but has gotten worse. I reported this a long time ago and heard nothing back.

I reported a bunker exit bug (with you personally involved) a while back and never heard anything.

An unreported bug.....in a game that I am having right now, I have AT guns behind hedgerows. The guns are fully deployed. With no orders given to those units, they will suddenly appear as "limbered." When I deploy the units, they move and the guns become revealed to the enemy.

Spotting and targeting have indeed gotten more spotty. I had an AT gun looking at an unmoving tank for 45 seconds before he fired. No obstructions. Nothing wrong with the gun. Gun did not need to move.

I have AT guns behind hedgerows. The guns are fully deployed. With no orders given to those units, they will suddenly appear as "limbered." When I deploy the units, they move and the guns become revealed to the enemy.

I have had this happen to me as well, I thought it was just me doing something that I didn't realize. I can't say they have been revealed, but I did have this happen. I was like "WTF, I didn't do that" Occasionally I have had weird things happen, I just assume my opponent has them as well...

Here's another funny one: US AT-gun teams refusing to use their available APDS against a Panther. First shot was APDS, penetrating but not destroying the tank, then the next 7 shots were regular AP, until the Panther returned fire and ended the story. Oh well...

Last edited:
The retreat bug (reported) is not just related to hedgerows and can ruin PBEMs. Guys just run toward their enemies who are firing on them. Both me and my opponent are affected by this, but it hurts the defender more.
I am unaware of any cases of this happening outside of CMBN and hedge rows. With the exception of games that were started using x.01 patches. Was your game started using a x.01 version of the game?

If you have saves showing this then I can get it reported and then looked into. Right now only the CMBN bocage issue is the only thing on the radar.

There is a mortar bug where all or some mortars will suddenly read "out of range" when targeting at any range. This one was present in the old version, but has gotten worse. I reported this a long time ago and heard nothing back.
Humm. I am using mortars in several games at the moment without any problems like this. I forget where the original problem was visible - I thought it was with targeting smoke. From the sound of it you are seeing something more serious. Do you have a save that shows this? Next time you are in the orders phase and see this happening save the game an not the unit and the location where you tried to target.

I reported a bunker exit bug (with you personally involved) a while back and never heard anything.
Yep. It was thought to be fixed and then RockinHarry from the BFC board (or are you the same person?) pointed out a situation where it was not fixed. That new case has been reported.

An unreported bug.....in a game that I am having right now, I have AT guns behind hedgerows. The guns are fully deployed. With no orders given to those units, they will suddenly appear as "limbered." When I deploy the units, they move and the guns become revealed to the enemy.
Which sounds very annoying. I have not seen that. So saved game ? please ?

Spotting and targeting have indeed gotten more spotty. I had an AT gun looking at an unmoving tank for 45 seconds before he fired. No obstructions. Nothing wrong with the gun. Gun did not need to move.
I have seen nothing to indicate that anything has changed in this regard. That scenario does sound bad but like I said there is nothing different and what you describe would be good to capture and look at.

I am unaware of any cases of this happening outside of CMBN and hedge rows. With the exception of games that were started using x.01 patches. Was your game started using a x.01 version of the game?

If you have saves showing this then I can get it reported and then looked into. Right now only the CMBN bocage issue is the only thing on the radar.

Humm. I am using mortars in several games at the moment without any problems like this. I forget where the original problem was visible - I thought it was with targeting smoke. From the sound of it you are seeing something more serious. Do you have a save that shows this? Next time you are in the orders phase and see this happening save the game an not the unit and the location where you tried to target.

Yep. It was thought to be fixed and then RockinHarry from the BFC board (or are you the same person?) pointed out a situation where it was not fixed. That new case has been reported.

Which sounds very annoying. I have not seen that. So saved game ? please ?

I have seen nothing to indicate that anything has changed in this regard. That scenario does sound bad but like I said there is nothing different and what you describe would be good to capture and look at.

Yup. I have all the files. I can share with you when my game is done.

I have had both the mortar and running the wrong bug.

I dont think they will ever fix the spotting through trees....

I dont think they will ever fix the spotting through trees....

I don't think so either, but it would be great if they some day went with an "a tree is a tree" approach instead of saying "These two graphical trees represent a general medium density forest square that might block your LOS or LOF, but you don't have any way of knowing if it will".

Many of the weird problems of Combat Mission are due to the player seeing something different on his screen than what the game engine sees. I've come to accept it as an abstraction.

Last edited:
The only major bug I experienced from upgrading from 4.0.0 to 4.0.1, and subsequently to 4.0.2 was in an existing PBEM scenario in CMRT. It was in Worblin Bridgehead. The update caused one of my Soviet cavalry units to be misidentified as a T-34 armored unit. That caused the game to search for a T-34 unit in the scenario, which of course there were none, resulting in a loading stall at 27%, then CTD. That persisted in 4.0.2. My opponent and I had to revert to 4.0.0 to continue playing it. We were more than 30 minutes into the battle, so we didn’t want to restart it new. We’ll update our CMRTs to 4.0.2 when we finish the battle. Finding out what caused the crash was hard because it didn’t happen on any other CMRT battle saved file. It was only by accident that I noticed the changed unit. I think I noticed it when I reverted to 4.0.0 , and opened the save.

Last edited by a moderator:
Three recent issues with line of sight and line of fire I've had which have been a bit annoying.
The problem with line of sight needs a look over by the team behind the game and a patch.

Bad Line of Sight.jpgBad Line of Fire.jpg Too good line of sight.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back