Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Strange Stuff

@Ithikial Australian to Amsterdam? There must be a story there.
Just part of a European winter holiday end of 2018 and into 2019. Spent Christmas in the Austrian Alps for my first ever white Christmas. Strange for most of you but yeah most Christmas Days down my way are 38 degrees celcsius, (that's 100 degrees "American" :) ). Was in Amsterdam a week or so after new years in 2019 before heading up to Iceland. Oh an another fun fact, the total number of days I'd been in snow my entire life was only 7 before this trip. I actually lost count because of this holiday. :p

It was my second time to the Netherlands, first was back in 2009. Silly thing is my father's side of the family is actually Dutch, with the family coming from Maastricht/Heerlen in the south and they migrated to Australia in 1951. Before then they lived in Lorraine but that was pre Franco Prussian War. I don't speak a word of Dutch. Thankyou Google Translate! :p

Oh and here is the hotel on Googlemaps.

Reactions: mTk
JZOH1WN.jpg
Mandarin duck, originally bought over from China.

Reactions: mTk
That's one hell of a wedding cake, complete with 10 golden cherubs. You can never have enough cherubs...or so I've been told. ;)

This ain't strange, but it is interesting...

The theoretical maximum height a tree can reach (before the energy demands of pushing water against the force of gravity outweigh the energy the tree can expend) is 426 feet (130 meters) tall. Currently, the tallest known living tree in the world is a 380.1 foot (115.85 meter) tall Coastal Redwood tree.

<snipped>
The theoretical maximum height a tree can reach (before the energy demands of pushing water against the force of gravity outweigh the energy the tree can expend) is 426 feet (130 meters) tall. Currently, the tallest known living tree in the world is a 380.1 foot (115.85 meter) tall Coastal Redwood tree.

I understand that plants die when they don't grow. So, would a tree begin to die once it reaches that theoretical maximum height? Or would achieving maximum height just re-stimulate more growth at the lower branches?

I understand that plants die when they don't grow. So, would a tree begin to die once it reaches that theoretical maximum height? Or would achieving maximum height just re-stimulate more growth at the lower branches?
Good question. I might need to call the extension service and ask.

Back