Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

The Rico-Shorker War

Ah I have missed this - can't wait to see the next instalments...

Some photos taken by various frontline photographers capturing the aftermath of the failed PRRAF attack north of Westerwalde.
The terrain was quite densely wooded, not ideal tank country ... and the PRRAF armour paid the price after some ferocious close-quarter fighting against Shorker Reich infantry, Pz-IV's and SP-guns.
The Shorker forces lost all their armour, but did enough to stop the attack in it's tracks, with heavy infantry losses on both sides.

PRRAF light tanks suffered heavy casualties when their flank attack ran into a Shorker Reich SP-gun ambush... although things were not entirely one-sided.

View from the other side ... an abandoned Shorker Reich Panzer IV ... with the smoke columns of burning PRRAF tanks in the background.

Shorker Reich grenadiers facing an abandoned PRRAF light tank, knocked out while supporting PRRAF infantry advance through the wooded terrain.

It was not a good day for the PRRAF -- 147 casualties, 7 tanks lost ... Shorker Reich, 83 KIA and wounded, 2 tansk and 3 SP guns lost.

Well, on a Windows PC you should use the "RezExplode" tool in the "Mod Tools" directory to explode the individual .brz files from the "Data" directory. This should give you all the files you need.

If you're on a Mac, I think you're out of luck, since BFC hasn't yet (as far as i know) released these tools for the Mac. Has this changed yet? Does anybody know?

Ok, I'm a bit late :)
Yes, there are modtools for the Mac. Someone programmed that but that was not well received by BFC. I'll refrain to comment - you can find it on the BFC forum.
Anyway - here it is. I didn't program it but I have used it several times and it works:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8811801/mac_modtools-1.0.zip

Ok, I'm a bit late :)
Yes, there are modtools for the Mac. Someone programmed that but that was not well received by BFC. I'll refrain to comment - you can find it on the BFC forum.
Anyway - here it is. I didn't program it but I have used it several times and it works:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8811801/mac_modtools-1.0.zip

A bit late ??? ;)

Anyway, thanks for letting me know and I had a look for it over at the BC forum.

In all fairness and from what I've read, BFC liked the idea of having this tool and wasn't opposed to it, under the condition that it would do the same as the PC version. And the tool does this, but it also adds the possibility to "consolidate" the contents of multiple BRZs, i.e. delete duplicate files which are present in more than one BRZ. Which, according to BFC, could cause trouble. But the author insisted on leaving this feature in, hence the critical reception by BFC.
So from my understanding, it was only this feature which caused the "problems" with BFC.

Better late than never! ;)
I tend to miss what is happening in the 'lower' part of the forum as my focus is on the upper parts. So I was reading through the whole thing and stumbled upon your post.
Btw, @Rico and @Shorker - well done! A joy to read and watch!

About the modtool: the (sadly) funny thing is that the tool does exactly(!) the same thing as the PC version. The ability to consolidate is purely by virtue of that small shell script. What it does is to unpack everything, search for doubles and pack everything back together. The modtool does only the packing and unpacking part. The PC version can do that, too.
So BFCs reaction is a bit strange. Not to mention that they neglected to provide a OSX version of a command line tool which enables users to graphically change the game. Because there are no graphical artists on Macs anyway.
;)

Btw I did that consolidation (most out of spite I admit :) ). Works since 1.11 (IIRC) without problems. But it is actually not worth the time and effort for the result.

Better late than never! ;)
I tend to miss what is happening in the 'lower' part of the forum as my focus is on the upper parts. So I was reading through the whole thing and stumbled upon your post.
Btw, @Rico and @Shorker - well done! A joy to read and watch!

About the modtool: the (sadly) funny thing is that the tool does exactly(!) the same thing as the PC version. The ability to consolidate is purely by virtue of that small shell script. What it does is to unpack everything, search for doubles and pack everything back together. The modtool does only the packing and unpacking part. The PC version can do that, too.
So BFCs reaction is a bit strange. Not to mention that they neglected to provide a OSX version of a command line tool which enables users to graphically change the game. Because there are no graphical artists on Macs anyway.
;)

Btw I did that consolidation (most out of spite I admit :) ). Works since 1.11 (IIRC) without problems. But it is actually not worth the time and effort for the result.

Thanks for the clarification. :)

Yep, the reaction is a bit strange .. but that's just BFC for you. :p

The second bloody battle for Westerwalde is coming to a close ... PRRAF infantry and tanks have fought their way into parts of the town in some of the bloodiest fighting so far seen in the Rico-Shorker War.

But alas, despite their heroic sacrifices, it seems the Shorker forces will hold on in the end... with much of Westerwalde smoking ruins and shell and bullet-riddled buildings...

Two snapshots taken by war photographers from the fighting along the north-western outskirts of Westerwalde as 2nd wave PRRAF infantry attempt to consolidate thir hard-won gains...

A ceasefire is being negotiated to recover the wounded of both sides littering the streets and back alleys and fields surrounding the town.

Summary of results of the latest round of battles in the Rico-Shorker War.

The PRRAF attack north of Westerwalde suffered a Minor Defeat and the attack on Westerwalde town ended in a bloody DRAW.

Below the situation for the next round of fighting:

Both sides have ONE attack each, but neither side has an attack bonus initiative hexes available. The PRRAF forces still hold on to substantial Shorker real estate in the south, but somehow the capture of Westerwalde eludes them in the face of fierce Shorker resistance.

The weather remains clear -- so both air forces can come into play.

The PRRAF navy is also again ready for action, but looks like the Shorker naval units are better placed to support their ground forces along the southern coast.

Hostilites resume as the Shorker Army decides to counter attack from their Westerwalde positions just as the stubborn PRRAF command launches its third and final annihalating attack on Westerwalde. The two forces clash in the campaign's first meeting engagement justoutside the town.
Mayhem ensues as both air forces charge in on ground attack missions to support each other's offensive. Surely this epic battle will decide the fate of Westerwalde and southern campaign!

BREAKING NEWS!!

As renewed costly fighting along the Westerwalde front was about to break out, both sides agreed to a United Nations brokered ceasefire and all armed forces withdrew behind an agreed ceasefire line.

The Shorker Reich retains territory captured along the northern Rio Plasho, while the People's Republic of Rico retains territory gained along the southern front along the coastal road and the Western Hills.

The captured area west of Westerwalde has been declared a demilitarized zone under UN Peacekeeper control as a buffer zone between the hostile nations.

As part of the casefire agreement, both sides agree to partial demobilisation of their armed forces under UN Observers, and this has proceeded well, but border troops continue eye each other with hostility across the ceasefire line.

How long can this fragile peace last?

I don't buy that for a minute. Clearly the People's Republic of Rico is using the U.N. intervention as a cover while they consolidate their hold on the captured Shorker Reich territory.
Also Herr Shorker, please tell me heroic war correspondent Holda Camera is alive and well! Truly there was no braver man in this entire conflict!

We've upgraded the map to a PzCorps style campaign map (had to move a few things around and add a few hexes, remove 1 town per side and the way PzCorps uses rivers is a little different) -- here showing the situation after the current UN-brokered ceasefire agreement.

rico-shorker-war-PzC-style-map2.jpg~original

(We'll be using this as a base for a playtest for a future CM campaign system ... will update as it develops)

Great work @Rico - good story and a fantastic map! And funny comments from all! Thank you for making me laugh so much! Great! ;)

The Reich's war correspondents will be kept busy, I'm convinced. LOL! :D

We've upgraded the map to a PzCorps style campaign map (had to move a few things around and add a few hexes, remove 1 town per side and the way PzCorps uses rivers is a little different) -- here showing the situation after the current UN-brokered ceasefire agreement.

rico-shorker-war-PzC-style-map2.jpg~original

(We'll be using this as a base for a playtest for a future CM campaign system ... will update as it develops)

Looks awesome I was playing around with the PzCp system the other day thinking the same thing. Have you managed to save a large map as a jpeg? I was resorting to taking screen shots of sections and then piecing them together using photoshop.

Back