Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

WAR IN THE EAST

C

Corsaire31

As an alltime fan of the East Front, I was thinking about buying from Matrix Games Gary Grigsby's War in the East (which just had a couple days ago a major update.) Has anyone played it enough to have any kind of advice ? Thks.

I have War in the East and like most all Grigsby games its excellent,at least in my opinion. However as you no doubt already know its expensive as games go and there is no demo. I have all three manuals uploaded to my Dropbox account for another guy who is interested in buying it,if you have Dropbox and are interested in having a closer look I will send ya an invitation to share the folder. Thats the best thing I can think of to do. Just because I have a high opinion of the game does not mean you or others will.

Regards
7thcav

Thks for the msg. I have very few doubts about the quality of Gary Grigsby games. It's just that I always hesitate in front of "monster games"... Been thinking about buying War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition since a few months, but not decided yet, although I also love the Pacific part of the war. As always, the problem is time, but as I should be retired in a couple of years, I was thinking of buying them now and keeping them aside for later...

Corsaire31, if you already have not bought the game, do it. If you are as big an Eastern front nut as myself, you will see why you shelled out £56, my friend, the game has it all. I have been playing it since Jan 2011, roughly 8 hours a week, and I am still only at the begining of 1943! the list of stuff the game has and the detail is something else, as an example, tracking every, and I mean every bit of kit a Division held on strength, including Tanks in repair and in the fighting companies, individual squads and men, artillery pieces the works. rail repair and destruction, partisans (horrible gits) unit fuel and ammo levels, supply by airdrop and sea. the list is just huge, buy it and loose yourself in DER OST, you wont regret it

Proff

I've been thinking about getting this game, has anyone done a review ?
Sounds good, so good in fact, I might never go to work again. :)

7th Cav, may I have an invitation to that dropbox folder please ? nathangun@ gmail.com

I've been thinking about getting this game, has anyone done a review ?
Sounds good, so good in fact, I might never go to work again. :)

7th Cav, may I have an invitation to that dropbox folder please ? nathangun@ gmail.com

This is it, I've bought it and installed. Got some reading and tutorials and getting into it... Will probably keep me busy for the next couple of years...lol !

This is it, I've bought it and installed. Got some reading and tutorials and getting into it... Will probably keep me busy for the next couple of years...lol !

Corsaire,

Please keep us posted on "War in the East", been looking at it for sometime now.

Thanks
Lighthorse

I really think WitE is an awesome operational wargame and it's probably the best rendition ever of the Eastern Front at this level. This doesn't mean that it's perfect nor without some flaws. Nonetheless, the 2by3 team has earned my trust that they'll eventually get it "just about perfect" because of the constant stream of beta (and official patches) since release, roughly, one year ago.

Perhaps you'll be interested in the AAR I'm keeping on the Matrix site

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2903345

where I'm facing Q-Ball, a renowned WitP player (and also a very strong Axis player). We're now just entering Spring 1942, and things might get very interesting in Summer :)

For the moment I've been slowly through a 250 pages tutorial I found. Don't think I will have time to play the real game before 2012 as I fly a lot Rise of Flight multiplayer with my squadron and have also jumped into The Elders Scroll V Skyrim (see separate post)

I have bought WitE a couple of days ago, in the christmas sale.

I'm really impressed with (and also intimidated by) it.
At the moment I'm playing the Leningrad scenario (followed the excellent boot camp tutorial provided by the community).

It's hugely addictive and the scope is unbelieveably huge. Great game so far.

Only problem: Where to find the time? A turn is taking quite long (ok, to be expected with a new game of these monstrous proportions).

If anybody here would be interested in playing a smaller scenario for learning PBEM or server play against other humans,
please let me know.

Cheers,

Mad Mike

I have bought WitE a couple of days ago, in the christmas sale.

I'm really impressed with (and also intimidated by) it.
At the moment I'm playing the Leningrad scenario (followed the excellent boot camp tutorial provided by the community).

It's hugely addictive and the scope is unbelieveably huge. Great game so far.

Only problem: Where to find the time? A turn is taking quite long (ok, to be expected with a new game of these monstrous proportions).

If anybody here would be interested in playing a smaller scenario for learning PBEM or server play against other humans,
please let me know.

Hi,

I've been playing it for a year now, and I'm still intimidated Mike :) And yes, turns - especially when playing the whole thing in a Grand Campaign - can get really really long to do.

I'd love to take up the challenge to play with you over the multi-player server, but I have at the moment my hands full. I'd advise you to setup a challenge for Operation Typhoon or Case Blue (though the latter might be now slightly imbalanced for the Axis with default settings). Sooner or later, someone should step forward and accept the challenge. And knowing well those two scenarios are unvaluable to learn the game.

Cheers,

Miquel.

Hi,

I've been playing it for a year now, and I'm still intimidated Mike :) And yes, turns - especially when playing the whole thing in a Grand Campaign - can get really really long to do.

I'd love to take up the challenge to play with you over the multi-player server, but I have at the moment my hands full. I'd advise you to setup a challenge for Operation Typhoon or Case Blue (though the latter might be now slightly imbalanced for the Axis with default settings). Sooner or later, someone should step forward and accept the challenge. And knowing well those two scenarios are unvaluable to learn the game.

Cheers,

Miquel.

Hi Bletchley_Geek,

thanks for the advice on the scenarios, I will do that in due time.

First, I think, I will play another two to three smaller scenarios against the AI.

I finished the "Road to Leningrad" scenario yesterday, following the excellent
Boot Camp Tutorial for the first two turns an then finishing it by myself. I got
a Decisive Victory out of it, which was good. But of course, this was on "Easy"
difficulty with no FOW. The difficulty should go up quite considerably when
setting the game to "Normal" with FOW.

Cheers,

Mad Mike

Have not played this in awhile, but, it has been extensively patched/updated and 1.08.08 has just been released 4 May 16.
Believe there is a 1.08.09 beta patch.

War in the East has been updated to version 1.08.08!
This update brings the beta version official, and it brings a lot of improvements!

Hundreds of changes to both gameplay, scenarios and data continue to improve realism and overall game balance!

Significant improvements include improved weather tables, improvements to both ground and air combat, rebalancing of attrition and retreat losses, improved logistic management, more realistic reserve commitment as well as modeling counter-attacks and fighting withdrawals!

There are more improvements than we can really list here, so be sure to check out the full list of changes![www.matrixgames.com]

Seen it on Steam in the sales again. Every time I see this game somewhere my inner wargamer goes all...
tumblr_static_3njlwzzgaoao8g0w80skwks0.jpg

Then I realise the time commitment and that I need to pay bills.

Back