Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Western Front campaign anyone?

@Concord it seems that you're an experienced map designer. Have you any recipes how to make good maps (usually such things are realized when you make and then recognize mistakes)? Or maybe a guide "How to make exellent maps" already exist?

p.s. I've started a map in SF2 and when I put several houses onto it, I understood that I just can't make these damn villages anymore. It really weared me down.

The main tip I have is that I do a little research on the internet, looking for photos as reference.
It really helps to see how things look in reality. It is sometimes even a little surprising.
I've learned a lot from seeing these photos, both rural and urban.

I use modern drone photos to get a better idea of natural terrain formations.
But I also found quite a few aerial photos from the period.

HottonBelgium.jpg

I'd love to join in with this campaign when it kicks off. Let me know when you have decided on the module that you will be using and I will get it loaded. I currently only have CMFI/Gustav so happy to buy whichever extra one you opt for.

Hi,

interested in joining this campaign as well once it gets going.

You are keeping yourself busy Concord.

I am considering starting up a Western Front campaign for FGM sometime this year. Are there FGM players who would get into it?

Currently I am running an Eastern Front campaign and I'm developing a modern one as well (probably ready for launch around June this year).
These are priorities and I won't abandon them, but I feel capable of getting another one rolling, if there is interest.

Checking the Battlefront website, I only just realised there are extra expansions available for both CMBN and CMFI that I don't have, such as CMBN Commonwealth and CMFI Rome.
I am prepared to invest in these modules. However, the easiest solution may be CMFB.

Here is an overview of each game. Which one to use?
The biggest challenge of creating and running a campaign is the availability of decent battle maps that are approximately 1km x 1km (or larger - can be cut down).
Are there any FGM players who can tell us which Combat Mission game has the most maps available this size, both stock and player-made included?

Combat Mission Battle for Normandy
The base game covers the three month period following the Allied D-Day landings, from Operation Overlord in June through the Cobra Breakout in August. American and German Heer.
Commonwealth Forces
British, Canadian, Polish Allied, Waffen SS and Luftwaffe Field Division.
Market Garden
Allied forces include the full range of American, British, and Polish Airborne forces, plus British ground forces that lead the relief effort.
On the German side are ad-hoc units quickly thrown together from Heer, Waffen SS, Luftwaffe base personnel, and Naval staff units.

Combat Mission Fortress Italy
Starts with the Sicilian campaign from July through August 1943.
American, Italian, and German forces. Italian Bersaglieri, American Rangers, and the German Herman Göring Division.
Gustav Line
The Italian mainland, revolving around Salerno, Anzio, and Monte Cassino, and culminating in the capture of Rome on June 4, 1944.
All German and American forces are updated to reflect formational and equipment changes since the Sicilian campaign.
Brand new formations and equipment cover the elite Fallschirmjäger and the combat formations of the United Kingdom, Canada, Poland, and New Zealand.
Rome to Victory
Continue to fight your way through Italy from June 1944 in Rome to the Italian Alps
New TO&E that includes Indian, Brazilian, South African and Free French forces. Also added are Waffen SS and Luftwaffe Herman Goering units and new vehicles and combat formations for existing nationalities.

Combat Mission Final Blitzkrieg
Covers regions depicting the Ardennes (Belgium), France, Germany, and Holland from October 1944 through the end of January 1945.
United States Army, German Heer, Waffen-SS, and Fallschirmjäger.
Count me in ... please and thank you. CMBN has a huge collection of maps including some large sized 'historical' ones. That includes my own 4km x 4 km les Hauts Vents and Pont Hebert (for bocage battles in early July 44)

I was pondering doing something along the same lines, fighting in the 82nd Airborne, from Sicily landings, D-Day, Market Garden and the Bulge etc..
Hello Nathangun:
If you go ahead with this, you can if you wish, include my full-sized historical scenario Lt.Col. Shanley on Hill 30 (currently undergoing final play-test and refinement)

I won't say no out right. Can you tell me more about the battle.
On the night of the D-Day airdrops the Americans were horribly scattered. Lt. Col. Shanley's battalion of the 508th PIR was to capture two bridges but due to the scatter did not have sufficient men to do so. Facing blocking German positions he fell back to the eastern slops of Hill 30 to block German access to the causeway leading to Chef du Pont and from there to Utah beach. Over the course of four days he held the position with his force growing from a single platoon to around 200 men from various units including some from the 101st. My scenario in its present version is available form the scenarios section of FGM and includes a full description in the mission.txt files. That said, a final version which slightly modifies the hedge rows and perhaps the victory points will be forthcoming once I finish playing with an opponent on the West coast (of Canada).

My next test will be to run it as a three-player scenario, two German and one American.

A seriously scaled down (gamey) version is my scenario, 'Le Port Filiolet', also available from FGM's scenario files.

Cheers,

Kandu

Looking great. Is The Battery representing an old abandoned artillery position? In that case maybe it could feature a couple of dug in positions using the ditch lock feature, and maybe old abandoned trenches...

Back