Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

World War One

...here is another shot of the Lincolnshire Regiment, in Leighton

Can it be Wing Road? The chimneys and windows of the houses on the right and the stairs of the houses on the left seem to coincide.
xrvka5j.jpg

bi6fu19.png

I thought they were probably grenades also but they look egg shaped.
Without doing the research I wonder, and it wouldn't surprise me, if they had another type of concussion, fragmentation or even a gas grenade if there were such a thing.

Interesting old black & white German World War 1 movie made in 1934, set on Western Front, Called Stosstrupp 1917 -- watched bits of it (understand the German, and notable for use of actual regional dialects amongst actors -- often missing in modern German movies)

... from minute 6:28 to 11:40 they do a trench raid on French lines for a possible prisoner snatch ... interesting stormtrooper tactics -- mostly rifles slung and copious use of handgrenades (have to excuse the weird speeded up movements of really old movies -- also all the voices during the raid were dubbed over in recording studio -- was shot outside and I guess sound recording technology of the time was limited)

It's a product of it's time, but quite unvarnished in it's portrayal of the trench warfare and an anti-war message (obviously just before the Nazis took over) ... some harrowing sequences when they spend days on end under non-stop Allied bombardment inside a cramped dugout -- in semi-darkness, going stir crazy and running out of food and water... haven't watched the whole thing yet...

Back