Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM:Battle for Normandy General Discussion

How are ya finding the game POS ?

The graphics are way better than PC:Ostfront and the play system is smoother.
I like Cmbn at the moment but so far I'm only playing small QB's, and I doubt I'd like bigger battles with a zillion tiny units milling round.

I don't like the annoying ambient sound of offmap battles because if you hear the rattle of gunfire you're not sure whether it belongs to your battle or an offmap one.
And I don't like not being able to toggle hedgerows off to see whats lurking in and behind them.
I'd also like to see an option to make the units bigger, either with an 'enlarge' option, or maybe a 'unit bases' toggle.
Another gripe is that shells fly too fast, it might be realistic but at shorter ranges there's only a millisecond between a tank firing and its shell hitting the target and you can't be sure whether it was another tanks shell that got it.

CMx1 has an 'ambient sounds off' toggle, an 'enlarge units' option and its shells fly slower, so it's much more user friendly and I'd rate it more fun than Cmbn even though it's not as pretty.

POS, No toggle for ambient sounds but I am pretty sure it can be modded. I believe all textures and sounds can be modded in CMSF or CMBN. Earl or Johny can correct me if I am wrong. Shells do fly fast and sometimes I am like "What the hell just hit me" which I like by the way. PCO on the other hand. I think I can run faster than those shells fly. Too slow in my opinion. Easier to track though. I am pretty sure that someone did a mod for the unit base colors to make them brighter. Might help a little bit since you cannot make the units larger.

Bert -
I fear I have to purchase this game eventually ....

The graphics from these screenshots look much better then I remember from the demo on my laptop.

I very much like what you can do with an arty strike, the resupply of ammo and possibility to give firstaid.

Are any of these things possible in PCO ?

NOPE, NOPE, AND NOPE.

Edit.....Artillery is possible of course but not to the detail of CMBN. You can plot an "open sheaf" or a "closed" sheaf. Basically the same as point or area. No selection for linear fire though. Was linear fire something they did historically in WW2

By linear fire do you mean direct fire over open sights? If you do, then yes that was done in WW2.

POS, No toggle for ambient sounds but I am pretty sure it can be modded. I believe all textures and sounds can be modded in CMSF or CMBN. Earl or Johny can correct me if I am wrong. Shells do fly fast and sometimes I am like "What the hell just hit me" which I like by the way. PCO on the other hand. I think I can run faster than those shells fly. Too slow in my opinion. Easier to track though. I am pretty sure that someone did a mod for the unit base colors to make them brighter. Might help a little bit since you cannot make the units larger.

Bert -

NOPE, NOPE, AND NOPE.

Edit.....Artillery is possible of course but not to the detail of CMBN. You can plot an "open sheaf" or a "closed" sheaf. Basically the same as point or area. No selection for linear fire though. Was linear fire something they did historically in WW2

Theres a mod at BF which turns the ambient sounds off.

By linear fire do you mean direct fire over open sights? If you do, then yes that was done in WW2.

No, that was just called "direct fire". :biggrin1: What he mant was laying down artillery fire in a straight line - he's wondering if WW2 artillery was trained and/or capable of that because the artillery options in the game allow it.

POS, No toggle for ambient sounds but I am pretty sure it can be modded. I believe all textures and sounds can be modded in CMSF or CMBN. Earl or Johny can correct me if I am wrong.

Yes, you can mod the ambient sounds out if you want.

The other CM games have a "PBEM" folder. BN does not. There is a "incoming" & "outgoing" email folder. So how do I load a emailed turn? Very frustrating. It is not in saved game folder.

What gives? There is no "PBEM" folder. There is an "incoming" and "out going " email folder. So I put the turn in incoming. So how do I load it into the game? It is not in the saved game folder.

Sorry for the duplication. First didn't show until I uploaded this one.

Well, reading the manual sometimes helps... :tongue1:

But for everyone who hasn't (yet) realized how the new PBEM system works: Each opponent's file goes in to the "Incoming" floder, each of your files are stored in the "Outgoing" folder. If you don't mix them up, the appear under "Saved Games". It's really quite easy, one doesn't need to shuffle anything around and one doesn't need to renumber any files - that's done by the game as well.

Any other questions?

First impressions of the game are mostly good for me. It will take a while to get used to the camera navigation system, but once I get used to it, I think it has more scope to get nice close-ups of the action. Just fired up a quick battle against the AI and already noticing some nice little things happening. As has been said, with 1 to 1 you really get a feel for what is happening to a squad. And the bocage is a nice place to start.

Some things still hold true, recon by death sometimes the only way to find out what is out there:) Had a gilder infantry scout squad move out across a field, next minute man down and his comrades won't move forwards - not always cowering either, so I'm guessing they won't leave their wounded comrade. Can't pick up where the shot came from. Then send a full squad across and they pick up a German mortar ammo-bearing squad concealed behind the far-away hedge. They pin them with fire and then I send some mortar fire their way just for good measure. Send more squads across the field and send a squad hooking round the far-away bocage hedge to assault the first building on the outskirts of the village we are attacking. The squad enters the building which is unoccupied thankfully, but as they enter the village they expose a light mg squad, mortar team and tank hunter team all hiding behind a low hedge in ambush positions, but the house if parallel to them and so the gilder troops rain down fire on the now exposed enemy units. Brilliant. And that's just some QB. I get the feeling I'm going to love this. Totally different feel from CMSF for me.

Hey 95 Bravo - pbem is great fun !!!! I am playing against Rico - a lot of action !
if you want just send me something small or tiny :)

I tried with Cargol but, after looking at the manual on line ( oh my kingdom for a hard copy), I do not see how to place my units on set up. I did manage to abandon an AT gun though on set up. Is the"place" command in code?

Select the move command for the unit and that allows you to place in the set-up zone. Any movements outwith the set-up zone are telling your unit to move there on first turn.

Bravo -- this had me stumped initially as well.

At the set up phase you place units and then also give them their first movement commands.

You place units by using the "Move"(N) command and then turn them by using the "FACE" command.
Select the unit, click on the "Move" command and place cursor where you want it and it'll be placed there.

Your first movement orders need to be out of the weirdly coloured setup zone to come into effect during the first replay.

Back