Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM:Battle for Normandy General Discussion

Thanks for that.

At last, the set up is done. Now to be shot to pieces.

Well I haven't played CMSF a lot so for me it is completely new game - waiting for paper version of manual :)

I hardly touched CMSF myself, so I'm a green CMBN noob too (sniffle)

Is there a simpleton setting for play. At the set up my troops were massed on my side of the map. I ASSumed the enemy would be on the other side so i set up accordingly. Lo and behold the enemy comes in behind me. I miss the big red line that says this is your land. Not often I surrender on the first turn. Usually about turn 3. Ah, for the simplicity of BB & AK...

So I try to play the first campaign. Opening battle screen has my force in a darkly shaded area, all jumbled together. So I "place" my units, or so I thought I did. There is a nicely colored area in front of my darkly shaded area so I "place each unit in this nicely colored area. Hit go, and to my amazement, they all start walking and driving to these spots. I thought they would jump there to start the game. Most are shot at the first gap in the hedge.

I am thinking the decorative tin game holder will be a nice place to put old coasters and unknown keys.

Um... Maybe it'd be best if yout tried the tutorial missions first...? This is, after all, a whole new game and it could help learning it step by step. Just a suggestion.

Yes, I know. I did some of it and get impatient. Could be my time of the month and all. But who thought of incorporating set up with first move? They should be seperate. Once I get the manual in my hand it will be easier. Alt-tab gets old quickly. It takes 3 minutes to load a turn. I am dealing with a lot here. Oh wait, here is another glass of Malbec. Things should be getting mellower soon. I do apologize for the venting. It will stop.

Lets face it, we never have enough ammo for our mortars and other heavy weapons. Next time your purchase heavy weapons, also purchase the truck and ammo carriers. Case in point, I purchased 81 mm German mortar platoon, with transport trucks. normally the mortars world have only 20 -25 rounds by them-self, with ammo carriers, it up it to 35-45, with trucks, that took it to 120 rounds each. My only problem there wasn't a safe place for the trucks, mid-game they would take some small arms hits, and race away, leaving my mortars without rounds, Took a few turns for them to return, reposition the mortar's targets again, and then they hit again and off they drove away...:"( Learn my lesson, need to find a better location for mortar platoon, with ammo carrier and trucks, for you need to keep them together(at least next to mortar itself).
My other lesson learn is maintaining the chain of command with spotter to artillery unit. Most of the time there isn't radio handled, so it needs to be line of sight and within 50 meter to shout orders to mortar team.
Now I need to work on improving the mortar accuracies on target, lately its all over the map.

:")
Lighthorse

But who thought of incorporating set up with first move? They should be seperate.

That's not always the case, just happens when you want to move units out of their own setup zone into a different one (in CMx1 you were fobidden to move "yellow" untis into the "red" zone, for example). I know it's complicated with just a PDF and I, too,c an't wait for the real thing, but currently we have nothing better.

PBEM - impressions

After finishing first pbem game:
Tiny action in small town - I got weapon platform (platoon of engineers + 5 mortars + sherman + 2 MG + bazooka
Rico had pzIV, stumel, stug and pz grenadiers
- a lot of action
- it is great fun to watch how your man fight, die, become heroes etc
- very dangerous HT (stumel with one round has killed 6 men in building
- a lot of very usseful commands, one can do almost everything.
- well balanced sides - good firepower of Americans, dangerous and very fast sherman versus relatively weak regular Germans with riffles and dengerous pzIV
- main role of fire support during fight
- at won't fire from inside buildings
- buildings have doors, windows, stories, backyards so you have to plan carefully how to use them during fight
- Command and control - very important and I like it
- no flags so you have to clear area to get points - not easy in town

Overall : I like it and I don't think that I will play CM1 anymore ;)

At the set up my troops were massed on my side of the map. I ASSumed the enemy would be on the other side so i set up accordingly. Lo and behold the enemy comes in behind me..

Yes that's a pain in random QB's; one way round it is to play Attack missions (as attacker or defender) rather than Meetings, which will greatly increase the chances of the AI force starting at the other end of the map. (Key ALT-J highlights the objective area so you can base your strategy around that)

There is a nicely colored area in front of my darkly shaded area so I place each unit in this nicely colored area. Hit go, and to my amazement, they all start walking and driving to these spots. I thought they would jump there to start the game..

The 'nicely colored area' was the objective area, not the setup area. Toggle it off with ALT-J and that'll leave you with the coloured setup area.
Place units by selecting the unit then selecting 'Move' and clicking on a spot in the setup area and it'll jump there. If it doesn't jump there it means you've clicked outside the setup area, so try again.

Once I get the manual in my hand it will be easier. Alt-tab gets old quickly. It takes 3 minutes to load a turn..

I printed out the Tutorial (pages 17-43), don't you have a printer?
But believe me, the game is so simple to play that we don't really need to have the Tut in front of us anyway, just read through it in PDF and jot down on a piece of paper the main points.
I'm a simplicity freak, so believe me I'd drop CMBN in an instant if it was too complex.
Hell I won the '1 Training-Roadblock' mission at only my 2nd attempt, and the Hill Assault trainer at the first attempt, it's so easy, the trick is to present the enemy with the WHOLE of your force at once rather than feed them to him in useless dribs and drabs, just as Guderian said- "Punch with your fist and not with spread fingers", it's as true now as it ever was.
As regards 3 minutes to load a turn, maybe you're playing big missions? The Roadblock mission turns load in about 10 seconds for me.
If you're playing random QB's, select 'Tiny' force and 'Tiny'map size to start with and jump straight in, that's how I learnt..:)

Thank you for the final heads up on it...Maybe we can get a game this coming week...possibly record it as a DAR

Smoke shells

I found to my cost never fire smoke shells near where your troops are they get killed lol!

Thank you for the final heads up on it...Maybe we can get a game this coming week...possibly record it as a DAR

with pleasure !
- just send something tiny or small at
mgkmgkmgk(at)gmail.com

Mgk I'm still trying to learn CMBN presently, but later would like to do a PBEM against you. Willing to do either side my friend.

Lighthorse
:usa2:

Its very similar to CMSF in terms of engine (of course, they said as much) but I've run a tutorial and a portion of a campaign with no noticeable bugs.

Graphics are very nice.

Artillery rules very straightforward and easy to use.

Use of armor the same, pretty easy to get the hang of it.

However, I find infantry to be quite different and I will have to learn how to use them. I keep getting them slaughtered. Some neat aspects such as a close in look will give you the infantry disembarking the HT out the back door, mortar crews loading the rounds, machineguns crews setting up, etc.

Terrain vivid and nice looking, have to figure out what vehicle can push through what shubbery or bocage or fence.

You have to pay attention to resupply of ammo, a nice feature, normally by mounting an HT or truck and acquiring ammo by type.

Haven't tried pbem yet so not sure how cumbersome that is, probably not really.

I suspect that this game and its sequels may replace CMx1 (BO, BB, AK) at some point.

I have not mastered, nor attempted, to do a screen shot. But in the German campaign, the first battle is a night scouting mission. I lost a HT at a gate to a field where it caught fire. The fire glow in the night was awesome!!!!!!!

Yes I konw what you mean - and shots in the night lightening hedgerows - picture soon :)

Has anyone noticed that when a dawn battle starts the sun moves position during the course of the battle.

Back