Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CMRT Winter Mod

We are starting to pick up some steam! Egger has shown me initial images of a "knock your socks off" IS-2 and Panther.

And I am doing this as a birthday present for my partner and modding tutor BarbaricCo.....

Yes, exactly. I learned the trick when I ported a T-34 into my Malta project. The Germans had a special kompanie of T-34's and KV-1's captured from "Uncle Joe Stalin" and repainted and prepped for the Operation Hercules landing on Malta that never happened.

It isn't perfect but it is quite functional. The firing parameters are close enough. The armor thickness and such of course isn't matched exactly but at close ranges in certain fun scenarios it all balances out IMHO for a cool feel of the Germans pressing into service any T-34 that was still running. I mark it up per historical photos, maybe dial the ammo down to scarce to reflect they are not in a real supply chain? Even edit the crew to be green since maybe they are axis footsloggers who climbed into the hatch and fired her up?

The crew positions are a bit funky so keep him buttoned up or his hands are not quite matched to the hatch of a T-34 vs a PzIV. No raised cupola. Which is ironic because those captured Soviet tanks meant for Malta were modified with added German cupolas. Can't show that of course, can't really change the 3D models at my skill level.

Do you know if it is possible to port uniforms in the same manner as you did for the tank skins? I'd like to create a scenario set in Italy 1944 with the Germans using captured Italian vehicles. It'd be nice to be able to port German panzer crew uniforms to the Italian crews in order to add a little more atmosphere. So far I've managed to replace the Italian helmets with German caps, but I can't seem to replace the uniforms and I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

It is all doable. :D You want the Italian vehicles to stay as is but ALL the crews to look German. Right? For this it will be all or nothing.
German AFV crew mdrs get renamed as the Italian crew mdr filenames. Game engine wants to see the Italian crew mdr filenames.
But hidden inside are the German AFV crew uniform mdr skeleton files. Then you take the German AFV crew bmp images and rename as the Italian crew BMP images.
Use a good modtag. Operation Achse (German: Fall Achse, "Case Axis"), originally called Operation Alaric (German: Unternehmen Alarich), was the codename of the German plans to forcibly disarm the Italian armed forces after their expected armistice with the Allied forces in 1943. Maybe use [achse]?
Put [achse] on the end of those renamed mdr skeletons and on the end of the renamed bmp images.
Do a modtag text file for [achse] and import it in your scenario.
The icing on the cake is to also use [achse] to rename your ranks, branch insignia and portraits so they change with [achse]. And the voice files too.
Good luck.

Phil, I PM'd you. Can you send me your FJs? And what else can I work on?

I didn't see any PM at all, weird.
Please try to make the FJ's in these quilted winter uniforms for CMRT maybe use modtag [snowfj]

Yeah, that's weird. It's in the CMRT Winter Mod conversation.
So, can you send me the FJs you started on. It will help me with the naming conventions, etc.? I don't have any Winter Mod folder in my Dropbox. Not sure what happened there, but it's been gone for several weeks.

It is all doable. :D You want the Italian vehicles to stay as is but ALL the crews to look German. Right?

Yeah that's correct.

I guess it's just a case of hunting round for that missing bmp I haven't changed? You mention there is a 'skeleton' bmp, I don't think I changed that; so should I take a look for it? Or have I just misunderstood you, and 'skeleton' is just the term given to the uniform bmps?

I haven't modded anything before, so for the 'mod tag' do I just add the scenario name to the end of the mod bmp filenames? Then I add this word to the the CM scenario title, to make the mod appear in the game?

Cheers, for the advice (I'll stop going off topic now!).

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the skeletons are in the data folders under soldiers under italians and then in subfolder skeletons. file format is mds or mdr. There is nothing to "see" like a uniform bmp file image. I think you want to use these Italian AFV crew skeleton file names when you rename the German AFV crew skeleton files.
smod_italian_coveralls
and his 5 buddies
smod_italian_coveralls-lod-1
thru
smod_italian_coveralls-lod-5

Then the bmp filenames are like this
smod_italian_coveralls_uniform
and the same thing but with normal map.
Look in the folders and copy EXACTLY.

modtag is NOT the scenario name. Better to use something tiny like I recommended [achse].

put [achse] after all your renamed files!
Then ANY scenario you want to use this mod system, you import modtag achse from a text file achse.txt with only the word achse in the body. keep the modtag text file in your scenario folder so it is easy to find when in the scenario editor.

Of course you buy an Italian tank or vehicle where the crew wear the AFV coveralls. Not a regular uniform driver with a steel helmet like a jeep, get me?

I don't mind answering here so others can see and learn to do this. Be brave! I had a first time also and it is a great feeling when it all appears on the screen as you commanded it! :D

No, the skeletons are in the data folders under soldiers under italians and then in subfolder skeletons. file format is mds or mdr. There is nothing to "see" like a uniform bmp file image. I think you want to use these Italian AFV crew skeleton file names when you rename the German AFV crew skeleton files.
smod_italian_coveralls
and his 5 buddies
smod_italian_coveralls-lod-1
thru
smod_italian_coveralls-lod-5

Then the bmp filenames are like this
smod_italian_coveralls_uniform
and the same thing but with normal map.
Look in the folders and copy EXACTLY.

modtag is NOT the scenario name. Better to use something tiny like I recommended [achse].

put [achse] after all your renamed files!
Then ANY scenario you want to use this mod system, you import modtag achse from a text file achse.txt with only the word achse in the body. keep the modtag text file in your scenario folder so it is easy to find when in the scenario editor.

Of course you buy an Italian tank or vehicle where the crew wear the AFV coveralls. Not a regular uniform driver with a steel helmet like a jeep, get me?

I don't mind answering here so others can see and learn to do this. Be brave! I had a first time also and it is a great feeling when it all appears on the screen as you commanded it! :D

Great stuff, I will give this a whirl in the net few days and let you know how I get on

If you enjoy making "Odin's German crewed Italian tanks mod" and seeing it on screen on your own PC vs the AI then it was all worth it even if not a single other person is interested. But you would never know unless you pack it up nicely and give a preview image and a readme and upload it to the OberBootenFuhrer at cmmods3.
Maybe somebody would like it as well....

A pleasure to work for your project :cheers:
These are the two pictures in which I have based on:

aODIUlq.png

0UDwPQf.jpg

UPLOAD STATUS TO CMMODS3:

12/15/15:
3 packs of the terrain bmp image files modtagged as [snow].
This also includes beautiful new work by BarbaricCo with flavor objects, Russian fences, etc. sprinkled with frost and snow.

12/16/15:
Folder of Axis Winter Uniforms (Greatcoats and gloves and snowy whitewashed helmets).

NOTICE: Just so everybody knows..this mod apparently doesn't work with the CMRT quickbattle system.
We cannot get a [snow] modtag to stay in the system even if you take the raw QB map and import the [snow] modtag and save it.
If anybody knows a way around this, please shout it out.

But as scenarios against the AI and such, it works fine.
BETTER YET...fire it up for some good old wholesome H2H PBEM fun. :D

12/15/15:
This also includes beautiful new work by BarbaricCo with flavor objects, Russian fences, etc. sprinkled with frost and snow.

12/16/15:
Folder of Axis Winter Uniforms (Greatcoats and gloves and snowy whitewashed helmets).

12/17/15:
Tried 3 times to upload 160MB Snowy Roof Files RAR but some server error keeps happening. :(
Uploaded BarbaricCo's Stug!
Uploaded BarbaricCo's Tiger!
Uploaded Egger's IS-2 early!
Uploaded Egger's Panther A!

Green = I see it available on cmmods for download!

12/15/15:

12/16/15:

12/17/15:
Tried 3 times to upload 160MB Snowy Roof Files RAR but some server error keeps happening. :(
Uploaded BarbaricCo's Stug!
Uploaded BarbaricCo's Tiger!
Uploaded Egger's IS-2 early!
Uploaded Egger's Panther A!
SLIM helped and uploaded Snowy Roof Files RAR. Thanks SLIM!

12/18/15:
Uploaded Telogreika Quilted Uniforms!

Back