Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[COMPETITION] Scenario Creation Competition

D

Dutch Grenadier

Hey guys,

To spice things up a bit I would like to host a scenario creation competion.

Rules are:
-each participant creates a scenario (without script)
-scenario must be playable H2H
-map limit: minimum 300mx300m, maximum 1kmx1km
-build from scratch!!!
-once the competion starts you have 4 months to have it done (ending 20th of June 2017)
-WWII scenario (any of the CMx2 titles)
-can be a (semi)historical, what if or fictional scenario
-each participant creates a story behind his scenario
-units will be placed to tell the story (no limit on units) (no setup zone's)

Judges:
-each FGM member incl. participants can judge scenarios
-what to judge for: (after June the 20th)
1: details
2: story
3: units
4: map
5: playability
-each item will be given a point (1-10). This gives a total score
-winner recieves a ribon :D

Anyone can participade if registered in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
List of participants:

1: Dutch Grenadier
2: Bootie
3: Badger73
4: Baron
5: Das Morbo
6: Fredrocker
7: Rocketman
8: Valkatox
9: Artemis258

Last edited by a moderator:
Not yet decided as I have a big scenario project in preliminary testing now that takes a lot of time. But interesting...
Two thoughts until I decide, I think Playability should be scored higher. I'd rather play a scenario with high playability on a poor map than the other way around. Also, can the scenario be playtested (although not put on TPG) before submitted?

I'm stretched in real life as it is but already working on scenarios for another project. Will look forward to being a judge though. :) If you want me to be a nuetral party to collect the scores from members later on though let me know.

Not yet decided as I have a big scenario project in preliminary testing now that takes a lot of time. But interesting...
Two thoughts until I decide, I think Playability should be scored higher. I'd rather play a scenario with high playability on a poor map than the other way around. Also, can the scenario be playtested (although not put on TPG) before submitted?
Trust the economist to make make this incredibly boring, :D but if this is something people want simply consider weighting the catergories accordingly. Easy process. (I wouldn't though).

Only catergory that looks odd to me is 'Units.' Not sure how this can be a cetgory on it's own as the units selected should match the story the designer is trying to tell. Is this meant to be points awarded for scenario balance or if the unit composition is historically likely/accurate? Without an explanation it could encourage players to provide a score for this catergory based on if their favourte 'Big Cat' is included or not. (Or something just as silly).

Good point. Will sort that out. And yes you can playtest the scenario but only YOU can playtest your own scenario. This is because all other members are the judge.

I'm stretched in real life as it is but already working on scenarios for another project. Will look forward to being a judge though. :) If you want me to be a nuetral party to collect the scores from members later on though let me know.

Trust the economist to make make this incredibly boring, :D but if this is something people want simply consider weighting the catergories accordingly. Easy process. (I wouldn't though).

Only catergory that looks odd to me is 'Units.' Not sure how this can be a cetgory on it's own as the units selected should match the story the designer is trying to tell. Is this meant to be points awarded for scenario balance or if the unit composition is historically likely/accurate? Without an explanation it could encourage players to provide a score for this catergory based on if their favourte 'Big Cat' is included or not. (Or something just as silly).

Thanks mate. If you could be the master judge or something that will be fine. (Not sure what your job will be yet but will get to that).

Whith units I mean did you name the commanders, gave them the correct units names ect... This is what I mean by "telling the story".

If there are more questions just let me know :D

Hey, sounds interesting, I'd be in.

I've been experimenting with the Scenario Editor lately (boy oh boy, those snaking rivers, aren't they a pain), might be a good occasion to get motivated to improve and to learn a thing or two.

I've been experimenting with the Scenario Editor lately (boy oh boy, those snaking rivers, aren't they a pain), might be a good occasion to get motivated to improve and to learn a thing or two.
It's an addictive bug once it bites.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That is you added. It is indeed very addictive :cheers:

Good point. Will sort that out. And yes you can playtest the scenario but only YOU can playtest your own scenario. This is because all other members are the judge.
<snipped>
If there are more questions just let me know :D

How does one playtest a H2H scenario by oneself? We're going to need someone to test against. Of course, it is fair that our own playtester be made ineligible for judging others. I had a non-FGM member in mind to help me. Is that allowed?

How does one playtest a H2H scenario by oneself? We're going to need someone to test against. Of course, it is fair that our own playtester be made ineligible for judging others. I had a non-FGM member in mind to help me. Is that allowed?

Yeah, that sounds fair. In the final week I shall give each participant his own section where he can post his scenario incl all info regarding the scenario. The name of the playtester needs to be made known then and it has to be a non FGM member.

But you could also hotseat vs yourself to playtest???

Another thing to consider is the voting process. It will take time to play through submitted scenarios, especially PBEM, and if the voting period is too short there is a risk that each scenario will get few votes.

Another thing to consider is the voting process. It will take time to play through submitted scenarios, especially PBEM, and if the voting period is too short there is a risk that each scenario will get few votes.

Don't worry about these things yet mate. I'll fine tune that proces in the coming months. ;)

It's an addictive bug once it bites.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Truly is, planning a trip to The Great Library in the next town over. Need some more info on Bagration.

Already feeling like a scholar... all I need now is a wool jacket and a pair of round glasses (perhaps a haircut).

Back