Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[COMPETITION] Scenario Creation Competition

Cool I am in, I got 18 done in CMRT from Colonel Nosov's March on Germany and another 12 done on a CMFB I am working on...

ooooooooooooooooo.... We only can submit one, ehhh... :)

Yea count me in, I have a great idea for a CMFB one... from scratch my ass...

What are the rules re playtesting? Is it supposed to be untested, tested only with players not involved in the competition, or open slather?

What are the rules re playtesting? Is it supposed to be untested, tested only with players not involved in the competition, or open slather?

The funny thing is that I did not really thought that part trough. I just thought you could just hotseat your own scenario to playtest it.
What I said earlier is that you can have a non FGM member test it. If you don't know any non FGM members maybe ask around on the BF forum?

I'll start this in the next few hours. Going to finetune the rules a bit.

Rules are:
-each participant creates a scenario (without script)
-scenario must be playable H2H. I may be playtested by a non FGM member.
-map limit: minimum 300mx300m, maximum 1kmx1km
-build from scratch!!!
-once the competion starts you have 4 months to have it done (ending 20th of June 2017)
-WWII scenario (any of the CMx2 titles)
-can be a (semi)historical, what if or fictional scenario
-each participant creates a story behind his scenario
-units will be placed to tell the story (no limit on units) (no setup zone's)

Judges:
-each FGM member incl. participants can judge scenarios
-what to judge for: (after June the 20th)
1: details
(map details, flavor objects ect)
2: story
(it can either be a historical story or a fictional)
3: units
(unit names, commander names ect)
4: map
(how is the map build)
5: scenario setup
(how are the units placed compared to the story)
6: playability
(is it fun and exciting to play this scenario)

If anyone else wants to join that is still possible. For

@Bootie
@Badger73
@Baron
@Das Morbo
@Fredrocker
@rocketman
@Valkatox
@Artemis258

Good luck and I'm excited to see what scenario's you will create.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rules are:
<snipped>
<snipped>
Please clarify. I understand this to mean that both side's units are pre-placed on the map and fixed to those locations by the scenario writer at the start of the scenario; is that correct? What about re-reinforcements?

Rules are:
(...)
(...)

I have to oppose to this rules in their current form.

First of all story shouldn't be too important as this is supposed to be a H2H-playable scenario. Most good story-driven scenarios tend to be unbalanced, so these two categories cancel each other out. The way I see it, a H2H sceanrios main purpose is to provide players with a battle-arena that gives both a good chance of success, nothing more. I tend to write up stories but these function as a mere back-drop.
Second, more important point is that most, if not all H2H sceanrios have setup zones. They provide replayability and tactical flexibility, things that are vital for H2H scenarios! I played one in-game sceanrio without setup zones in PBEM and my opponent disliked their non-existence very much. I myself think that most scenario setups are crap. I wouldn't take the ability to adjust away from future players.

Aside from these two points I like the competition very much. :)

Please clarify. I understand this to mean that both side's units are pre-placed on the map and fixed to those locations by the scenario writer at the start of the scenario; is that correct?

Yes that is correct

What about re-reinforcements?

Reinforcementes are no problem.

I have to oppose to this rules in their current form.

First of all story shouldn't be too important as this is supposed to be a H2H-playable scenario. Most good story-driven scenarios tend to be unbalanced, so these two categories cancel each other out. The way I see it, a H2H sceanrios main purpose is to provide players with a battle-arena that gives both a good chance of success, nothing more. I tend to write up stories but these function as a mere back-drop.
Second, more important point is that most, if not all H2H sceanrios have setup zones. They provide replayability and tactical flexibility, things that are vital for H2H scenarios! I played one in-game sceanrio without setup zones in PBEM and my opponent disliked their non-existence very much. I myself think that most scenario setups are crap. I wouldn't take the ability to adjust away from future players.

Aside from these two points I like the competition very much. :)

With story it is just the briefing for both players. For example:
it is 20th of juni 1944. unit XXX is trying to clear the road to ???. ect ect...

Another example is I'm building my story around the corridor in September 1944 in Holland regarding the 107th Panzer Brigade. I'm creating a scenario of a possible battle that was fought between the 107th and the British 30th Corps.

Why no setup zones? Because it is up to you (as a scenario builder for this competion) to show how you would like this battle to be fought. That is why it is part of the competion. Another reason is that building a script is something so delicate that not everybody can do (like myself :)). The challange is to have a H2H scenario where players jump in and fight it out.

I know I might have been a little vague regarding how it is done. Sorry about that. In overall the challange is to create a H2H scenario from scratch.
Glad you like it and I hope this clearifies it a bit more. If you or someone else has any more questions just ask. My intention is to have some new challanging scenario for all CMx2 serries. (CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, CMBF). And those participating right now are already good scenario builders so I'm looking forward on your creations.

And to clearify:

Mods and vehiclepack are of course welcome. Just tell wich mods and (if needed) you used the vehiclepack.

Yes that is correct
<snipped>
Why no setup zones? Because it is up to you (as a scenario builder for this competion) to show how you would like this battle to be fought. That is why it is part of the competion. Another reason is that building a script is something so delicate that not everybody can do (like myself :)). The challange is to have a H2H scenario where players jump in and fight it out.
<snipped>
Okay, I can accept this. However, I agree with @Das Morbo about set-up zones. So, I ask that the Judging Forms specifically ask and rate "Scenario Set up" as a category and provide a place to leave feedback. The purpose of this being "lessons learned" information for the scenario designers to use for improving their work, regardless of competition outcomes, for later publication in TSDIII.

I just saw this. Am I to late?

Nope. See below
Rules are:
-each participant creates a scenario (without script)
-scenario must be playable H2H. I may be playtested by a non FGM member.
-map limit: minimum 300mx300m, maximum 1kmx1km
-build from scratch!!!
-once the competion starts you have 4 months to have it done (ending 20th of June 2017)
-WWII scenario (any of the CMx2 titles)
-can be a (semi)historical, what if or fictional scenario

Judges:
-each FGM member incl. participants can judge scenarios
-what to judge for: (after June the 20th)
1: details
(map details, flavor objects ect)
2: story
(it can either be a historical story or a fictional)
3: units
(unit names, commander names ect)
4: map
(how is the map build)
5: scenario setup
(how are the units placed compared to the story)
6: playability
(is it fun and exciting to play this scenario)

If anyone else wants to join that is still possible.

Rules are clear?

I'm really excited! Working on the basic lay-out of my map.

Back