Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gun talk

I have good shoes. My main concern is the black bear population in my area has exploded. Now they are not nearly as dangerous as brown bears, but incidents can happen. There are also bad people out and about.

The odds of my ever having to use it are very slim, but it's better to have it and not need it than need it and now have it, IMO.

I have done quite a bit of overnight and multi day hiking in different places. Usually on marked trails sometimes less travelled trails. With regards to people, I have found you just need to be careful around vehicle access areas. People will come in with booze and inevitably start pushing your buttons. Sometimes we make sure we camp away (even dry camp) from these areas. If its a Friday/Saturday night/long weekends, often best to stay away from remote established camping areas with vehicle access. Go with your gut instinct. When questioned by them always leave it open that you may be moving on that day to the next campsite.

When we first started doing this I used to bring a huge knife with me here in Australia (That's not a knife) but it was too heavy, so now I just carry a smaller lighter stabbing knife. I used to have an old razor sharp boning knife used for boning cows/sheep but broke it. It was the best, nice and light, very sharp for slashing and thin for stabbing.

I overnight hiked in both Bryce Canyon NP and Yosemite NP about 14 years ago. At camp, I spent the whole time looking around waiting for a Black Bear to come wandering in. It didn't help that there were giant turds everywhere at the campsite in Bryce. The Rangers bases at Yosemite scare the crap out of you with pictures of car doors being torn off, etc. You just have to go to sleep knowing that you and or the person next you may die or get mauled in the night. A gun would have been nice. When (hopefully) I get to Alaska/Canada, I will have to see if I can get something.

Nothing worse than a boatload of bogans, beer and bass music at 3am 'camping' 15m away....

This would be the two legged turds?
They are also very abundant on beaches and campsites. Tend to be in their late teens and predominantly of the male variety. And -sadly- often of dutch nationality. Not the best of our export products.....

<snipped>
- often of dutch nationality. Not the best of our export products.....

Gosh, as an American, I have no sense of that. I thought the Danish were Europe's party animals . . . :fisher:
Has anyone ever published a study comparing nationalities? I don't mean alcohol consumption per se (which I understand Russia would win and Finland would closely follow) but rather some kind of rating nations for "Loves to Party".
(btw, if the Dutch have a reputation for Rude-&-Crude, that likely explains why they kicked my ancestors out and sent them here to the US . . . } :cheerso:

Gosh, as an American, I have no sense of that. I thought the Danish were Europe's party animals . . . :fisher:
Has anyone ever published a study comparing nationalities? I don't mean alcohol consumption per se (which I understand Russia would win and Finland would closely follow) but rather some kind of rating nations for "Loves to Party".
(btw, if the Dutch have a reputation for Rude-&-Crude, that likely explains why they kicked my ancestors out and sent them here to the US . . . } :cheerso:

Rude and crude? Certainly! Inventors of modernday capitalism in the 17th century! Major producer and exporter of XTC aka "the party drug". Almost every year for the last 15 or so, a Dutch DJ is voted best in the world.

But, I wonder where your ancestors were from. As far as I know there were never any Dutch penal colony's. And "Van Groll" sounds like a Dutch surname. Groll (nowadays it is called Groenlo) is a Dutch town near the German border:
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groenlo or ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groenlo

Wait. I just looked back at some of your pictures. It looks like your rifle did not come with the swivel studs already installed. Mine did. Can't remember if that was an option I chose or if all the carbines come with them.....

Edit: Looks like the Big Boy Carbines come with sling swivels as standard.

Wait. I just looked back at some of your pictures. It looks like your rifle did not come with the swivel studs already installed. Mine did. Can't remember if that was an option I chose or if all the carbines come with them.....
Right, mine does NOT have the swivels, I'd like to get them drilled in, although they sell "No drill" slings. Not sure if I like them. I'm gonna think about it, and in the meantime I'll make some calls on getting it drilled.
IMG_9311.JPG

I would say that would be a trivial job for a gunsmith. I just wonder if they could get their hands on brass swivel studs so it would match your rifle better? Only way to find out is ask, I suppose.
Yep, it's a shitty day today..cloudy windy and 54 degrees, after our walk I'll take some time out from turns and make a few calls.

<snipped>
But, I wonder where your ancestors were from. As far as I know there were never any Dutch penal colony's. And "Van Groll" sounds like a Dutch surname. Groll (nowadays it is called Groenlo) is a Dutch town near the German border:
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groenlo or ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groenlo

My ancestors weren't really kicked out of Holland! I suspect they emigrated in the hopes for a better life.

It seems to me that every American descends from a voluntary or involuntary migrant family. Even Native Americans (except maybe the Seminole in Florida and Inuit in Alaska) currently reside in places far removed from their ancestral lands. My fragmented family lore has it that both adverse economic conditions and the self-segregating grouping of communities in late 19th Century Holland brought my familial line to America. They were among the a group of poor farmers following Dutch priest, Reverend Gerald J. B. Van den Heuvel that settled nearby the earlier followers of Rev. Theodore Johannes Van den Broek, a Dominican missionary who worked with the native Indians in the Fox River area of Wisconsin. Van den Broek returned to the Netherlands in 1847 and published his Trip to North America which promoted the idea of establishing Dutch Catholic settlements in and around Little Chute, Wisconsin. These settlements were the beginning of what became one of the largest Dutch Catholic settlements in the United States and ultimately brought 40,000 Dutch Catholics to the region.
When I contemplate it, I'm happy that my ancestors chose not to join the Boers of South Africa. But then I suspect the Boers wouldn't have wanted them either. :shocknaz:

Now . . . Thank you for this commercial break and back to the original topic at hand

Took a friend from work (we've worked together for 20 years) to the gun range today. Had a good time. We took two lanes, one for rifles (we shot at 50 and 100 meters), and one for handguns (around 10 meters). Mike shot his 30-06 hunting rifle a couple of times, just to see if it was still zeroed, then he shot his AR-15 with red dot sight. I shot my Henry .44 magnum on the rifle bench, and my Ruger .38 special on the handgun target. Mike brought a Glock 9mm, S&W 9mm, and a Ruger .22 target pistol for the handgun lane.

I have to say, that Glock is nice. I was also impressed with the red dot sight on that AR. We were both able to keep it within the 7 ring at 100 meters, and within the 8 ring at 50 meters.

I forgot to take any pics.

We were the youngest guys there, lol (I'm 52).

About 6 month ago, after participating at 5 mandatory classes for IPSC, I found out that I still cant join any club, so I decided to go for IDPA insteed.

This guys are much more friendly and welcomed me among there Groups with open arms. Much more fun then IPSC as well :)

The IPSC scene here in Switzerland is toxic. The clubs only want the young (25-35) and are really arrogant. More then often they wont even answer your emails.

One side effect was that after years of preferring heavy, full metal guns with an external hammer, I more and more feel in love with light weight striker fired guns.

So I been at my local gun store yesterday. Traded my CZ Shadow 2 for a CZ P-10.

Back