Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Gun talk

Congrats Septic!

Yeah, different states call it different things. Here in Texas it's a CHL...concealed handgun license.

Work has been really busy because of the freeze we had and then the aftermath when everything thawed so I wasn't able to get to the range until today. It took about 7 mags to knock the rust off but I was putting in some respectable grouping towards the end. To be honest I was only shooting at 5 and 10 yards (with a pistol) but I was just working on the basics not out to impress. Should have taken a picture or two.

Shooting is a perishable skill, that is for sure! Use it or lose it!
That is the truth. Going to try to make Thursday night my range night. Add in some dry fire practice during the week and I'll be ready to join the local league in no time.

That new pistol smell!
I've been eyeing up a Sig P226 and now that my little PPK/S is having issues it may become a trade towards the Sig.

I have a PPK/S what kind of problems are you having with it?
Its double feeding but its not the mags or ammo (we tried different mags and ammo with the same results). Dropped it off to my smith and he called me a few hours later and said that everything looks/functions correctly but its still malfunctioning. He will be contacting Walther on Tuesday to get their thoughts on the matter.
I was bummed out because I only brought the one pistol to the range so I had to pack it up early.

Please keep me posted if you find out anything as my ppk/s is my current carry weapon.
I have only put a few boxes of ammo through mine and so far it has performed flawlessly.

Please keep me posted if you find out anything as my ppk/s is my current carry weapon.
I have only put a few boxes of ammo through mine and so far it has performed flawlessly.
I have the Interarms PPK/S (with slide bite scars to prove it). I'll let you know whats up.

Not sure if you are extracting. You might want to check to make sure your extractor and ejector are not broken or installed wrong. I have seen guns come from the factory missing the extractor spring, for example.

Well if someone could tell me why my Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380 won't feed properly with a full magazine (6 rounds), but seems to work fine with 5 rounds in the mag, that might prevent me from trading it in on a Ruger LCP II this year.

Well if someone could tell me why my Colt Mustang Pocketlite .380 won't feed properly with a full magazine (6 rounds), but seems to work fine with 5 rounds in the mag, that might prevent me from trading it in on a Ruger LCP II this year.

That is pretty simple actually. It is the opposite of what Badger73 said.

It is probably somewhat hard for you to stuff that sixth round into the magazine. Once you get that last round in there, hold the magazine in your hand. If you push down on that top round, you probably cannot move it much. There is very likely almost no give whatsoever.

The problem is that the slide going backwards or forwards has to pass over that top round. The slide needs the top round to go down into the magazine a little bit. The "overstuffed" magazine DOES NOT GIVE and is therefore slowing your slide as it goes backwards or forwards inducing a malfunction.

Even if you load the gun at slidelock, your slide going forward has to strip the top round out of the magazine. If your fully loaded magazine is insanely tight, your recoil spring might not have enough strength to both strip the round out of the magazine AND push the gun into battery.

Also---if you try to load a full magazine into your gun while the slide is forward (i.e., in battery)........it is probably very hard to seat the magazine. In competition, I often see guys try to stuff magazines into their guns on the clock only to see them just fall back out because the magazine is too "full" to seat.

For all of these reasons......In competition or for home defense.....I often download one round for guns that manifest this problem (thankfully, most guns do not). A problem AR, for example, would only have 28 or 29 rounds in its magazine. I prize reliability and worry free reloads over the extra round or two. Many have made fun of me for this practice.....until they bobble a reload or induce a malfunction on their very first shot. Then they adopt my practice.

Being that this gun only has 6 rounds in it, you probably want all 6 rounds and don't want to download. You can cut a coil off of your magazine spring (springs are like $5 so if you ruin one no big deal, trim the bottom your magazine follower if that is what is binding, or just weaken the magazine spring through use. I have also seen gunsmiths file down the bottom of the slide where it passes over the bullet, but you have to be VERY careful as this can ruin the gun if done improperly.

You can also look for aftermarket magazine basepads that will give you a little more room in the magazine. Or if your factory basepad can accept a LITTLE dremelling to the inside bottom.....that might create more room in the magazine.

This is a very common issue. You need a little more space in your magazine and / or a weaker magazine spring.

Last edited:
Off Topic (ish): On YT I follow a channel called Activ Self Protection and Activ Self Protection extra (The YT channel deals with CCTV footage of muggings etc and what you can learn from it as self Defender).

The host of the Show (who is a licenced fiream Trainer and a priest) recommends everyone to Train your skills every day (firearms, h2h and verbal Judo). The longer I watch it the more it feels like the US is a very unsave place to be.

I live in a Suburb of Zuerich (Switzerland) and we usally dont even lock our front door. U can walk all around the City without beeing afraid of beeing robed or something.

(We have "high crime" Areas in Switzerland but usally thats restricted to certain Areas in a town or when a crime wave hits Switzerland (gangs from mostly eastern countrys do thiefing tours somethimes)).

I discussed this with my friends at the range and no one would consider to apply for a ccw.

Is it as dangerous as I now have the Impression?

No. The US is pretty safe. The American and European media does its best to make it seem like things are chaotic here. Both US political parties push the "unsafe" narrative because they have their own political goals. The TV show makes it seem unsafe because it generates interest in the show.

The crime is heavily concentrated in certain areas. Take away those areas, and the US is a lot like the EU. Some of those areas are just terrible, however.

I personally know only 1 person who has the victim of violent crime. It was in one of those high crime areas.

The US is culturally different than the EU. It is much larger in size and, in rural areas, calls to the police can take hours to answer. As a result, starting in Pioneer times to the present....people are more self reliant and see their personal protection as THEIR OWN responsibility.

99% of CCW carriers will never draw their gun. You carry in case you find yourself in the 1%.

Back