Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Lurking

My favorite gin du jour is St. George, produced locally. Comes in several flavours. Not so much a flavour per se, more like a scent. The one I like best is Botonivore. Great on the rocks by itself.
Hope there is a large supply. If they don't have it, Henricks is a terrific back up.

http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/gins/st-george-botanivore-gin/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrick's_Gin

And if I'm feeling all vodka-ish (as sometimes I am) then Ketel One is one, smooth experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketel_One

By noon Pacific Time I'll be sipping one of those, lounging (that's what one does in a lounge) in the Crooner's Lounge (Promenade Deck-7) watching people wander around with confused looks as they board the ship searching for their rooms. People-watching while having an adult beverage is my favorite shipboard activity. And the good thing is it just gets better the longer you sit there, as do most things, while having a martini.

I'll give you a toast @Nort. Perhaps this one:

"Here’s to lying, cheating, stealing, and drinking…
If you’re going to lie, lie for a friend.
If you’re going to cheat, cheat death.
If you’re going to steal, steal a heart.
If you’re going to drink, drink with me."

Last edited:
Have a great time, and don’t rock the boat!!

Steve

My favorite gin du jour is St. George, produced locally. Comes in several flavours. Not so much a flavour per se, more like a scent. The one I like best is Botonivore. Great on the rocks by itself.
Hope there is a large supply. If they don't have it, Henricks is a terrific back up.

http://www.stgeorgespirits.com/spirits/gins/st-george-botanivore-gin/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hendrick's_Gin

And if I'm feeling all vodka-ish (as sometimes I am) then Ketel One is one, smooth experience.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketel_One

By noon Pacific Time I'll be sipping one of those, lounging (that's what one does in a lounge) in the Crooner's Lounge (Promenade Deck-7) watching people wander around with confused looks as they board the ship searching for their rooms. People-watching while having an adult beverage is my favorite shipboard activity. And the good thing is it just gets better the longer you sit there, as do most things, while having a martini.

I'll give you a toast @Nort. Perhaps this one:

"Here’s to lying, cheating, stealing, and drinking…
If you’re going to lie, lie for a friend.
If you’re going to cheat, cheat death.
If you’re going to steal, steal a heart.
If you’re going to drink, drink with me."
I'm reminded of the toast in the movie "Master and Commander."

A toast to our wives and girlfriends ... may they never meet.

Sounds really tough, hang in there man, it just might be worth the slog in the long run!!

Interesting day yesterday. Stopped in Ketchikan, my favorite port on the cruise. Climbed into an 8-passenger float plane with an unbelievably loud engine. Flew on up to/through the Mystic Fjords. Just breathtaking scenery. Mountains, trees, fresh water lakes. Rinse/repeat. Really can't appreciate Alaska terrain until you get a chance to see it from the air.

Plane landed for lunch at lodge (name fails me) world famous for its fresh cab. I mean they catch nearby so when you say fresh... Anyway, wife loved it, but I had the chicken I mean, I like crab, but not enough to go through the work and the mess to get a small bite and then do it again and again. Then wash yourself and clothes when you get home. I was clearly in the minority.

Today we are docked at Haines, Alaska. Scenery is amazing. Mountains go straight down into the water. And we're not talking hills here. What I don't get is why cruise ships stop here. Haines is at best hamlet sized with nothing of note therein. Nothing of interest, although there are some buildings on the ridge above the "town" wherein some kind of fort once resided. Not there now, so...zzzzzzz.

Discovered my new, favorite adult beverage for the cruise. The Three Wise Men. Combine Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, JW Black on the rocks with some ginger ale. Yep, it does sound awful, but it's mighty tasty. In fact, I'm gonna go find one one of those bad boys right now.
(Lurk, lurk, lurk)

I'm reminded of the toast in the movie "Master and Commander."

A toast to our wives and girlfriends ... may they never meet.

One of the traditional Royal Naval Toasts, made after the Loyal toast in Wardrooms onboard all ships. One for every day of the week - rather than bore you about this (I've deleted a lot of text, no thanks necessary) I've linked to the relevant Wikipedia page

Didn't get off at Juneau yesterday. Was thinking about taking the tram up to the top of Mt Abbot that rises above the City, but was heavily fogged in in the a.m. and by the time it cleared late p.m. it was well into nap time.

Cruised Tracy Arms this morning at about 3 knots. Water was a flat, military green with chunks of ice large enough to keep the navigator busy. Huge granite mts plunging straight down into the water, bare of any vegetation even more awesome when viewed from 2-300 meter away than 2500' in the air. Fairly cold today.

Have a nice musical show scheduled this evening. Our previous entertainment was an illusionist/comedian who's name escapes me. He's playing in Las Vegas atm and done over 8000 shows so he had some cred going in. He was actually quite good. A lot of shows on board usually fall into the category of enthusiasm working hard to overcome talent void. Not in this case though.

We have a full suite which entitles us to "Club Dining". That means we have a private entrance to a portion of the dining room reserved for us and can show up whenever we please. The unusual part about that is we never have to stand in line to get in and it is never crowded! With other dining options that is not so and it really appeals to my vanity. Plus, our head waiter prepares, nightly, a pasta dish table side if we are so inclined. I usually incline that way.

For wine I've been drinking some very good Duckhorn Decoy merlot as well as some Duckhorn Chardonnay with pasta entrees. Get that @Nort? Just for pasta and stuff!

We'll be heading south later today with only one more port, Victoria BC. Been there previously, so will probably take advantage of empty bars. Can think of worse things.
(Lurk, lurk, lurk)

Last edited:
We've been sailing for about 12 yrs now and have done most of the excursions that interest us. Staying on board the ship when everyone else gets off gives us the run of the ship without any crowding issues.
Unless you plan an hour ahead when everyone is aboard then trying to see/do things is just impossible. So having the run of the ship makes everything from elevator usage to internet connections much more enjoyable.

No Vegas trips. I was the organizer and since my health crash & burn of 2014 I don't have the stamina for walking distances. Since walking is the biggest requirement for Las Vegas I had to give up the trips. There was a 10-year run there that was hilarious though.

There was a medical emergency on board this morning around 0600 (no, not me!) that required a call for a Coast Guard helicopter. It came in right above our suite. Hung around for about 15 minutes or so and then off it went. For some reason it cost us 2 hrs so we get into SF a bit late tomorrow. Do the math and 2 hrs loss is a bit odd. Capt is having a get together to explain, but don't really care. It is what it is. I suspect he carves about an hr off that but it just means we don't have to get up at zero-dark-thirty and can have a nice breakfast tomorrow before we have to take a deep breath and go through the disembarkation process.

Since internet speed aboard ship still sucks my Fantasy Football team did it's live draft without me yesterday. Turned out decent though, considering.

Got time for one more "Three Wise Men" in front of my nap before dinner. Some plans are still working well.

Back