Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

A new modern campaign?

Reading this, I would be very interested in participating in a modern campaign, very interested to hear more

Rico contacted me to work collaboratively on a project, which I was happy to do.
However, this is all Rico's work. He's brought his game design skills and his professional illustrator skills with him as usual. Looks grand and great story.

I feel like da Vinci's young apprentice, watching his creations. I'd be happy to help in any way to get it up and running.
I still think the biggest challenge (especially with CMBS compared to CMRT) are the battle maps.

Although my game design skills are comparatively amateur, my strength lies in enthusiasm.
I can get a campaign up and running with members playing games in a relatively short time frame, and keep it sustained to the end.

I think the path forward will look like this; Rico leads the way in regards to the fully fledged campaign, with myself and others assisting,
and in the meantime I will start designing and constructing the map for the MOUT campaign in the city.
The map creation process will be kinda fun (I'm looking forward to it), but I may need to discuss it more with all you guys regarding the concepts.

There we have it. Two campaigns underway for FGM.

Rico contacted me to work collaboratively on a project, which I was happy to do.
However, this is all Rico's work. He's brought his game design skills and his professional illustrator skills with him as usual. Looks grand and great story.

I feel like da Vinci's young apprentice, watching his creations. I'd be happy to help in any way to get it up and running.
I still think the biggest challenge (especially with CMBS compared to CMRT) are the battle maps.

Although my game design skills are comparatively amateur, my strength lies in enthusiasm.
I can get a campaign up and running with members playing games in a relatively short time frame, and keep it sustained to the end.

I think the path forward will look like this; Rico leads the way in regards to the fully fledged campaign, with myself and others assisting,
and in the meantime I will start designing and constructing the map for the MOUT campaign in the city.
The map creation process will be kinda fun (I'm looking forward to it), but I may need to discuss it more with all you guys regarding the concepts.

There we have it. Two campaigns underway for FGM.

Thank you kndly -- if this flies, any assistance would be hugely appreciated -- @Concord -- this would need a LOT of help with maps, especially more urban/city maps for the built up areas of the map - towns, suburbs and city centres -- there's a lot more of that compared to a WW2 map.
Also, as with most modern conflict, there won't be nearly enough units to cover continuous front lines, so it fight might be concentrated on a few crucial hot spots.

Looking at each side having 3 regular army "brigades" (btn's) and 2 or 3 reservist formations.

Aim would be to do as much damage to opponent that they sue for peace.

You know, there's no reason why my MOUT mastermap couldn't be carved up and used for both purposes on both campaigns! Double the mileage.

Gah! I hate Battlefront's stupid patches. It's like something out of the 90's.

I checked and my CMBS main screen said Engine 3, v1.01

I went to their website page here, and the first thing I see is:

Game Engine 4 Patches
  • IMPORTANT! Do not patch from here if you have an Engine 3 install

I have engine 3. So I look at the next section which says:

Game Engine 3 Patches
Okay, so if I have v1.01, I should use the second one. Installed it. Open the game, and it still says v1.01.
Maybe I need to proceed to the next one, the first on the list. Download it, install it.
Open the game, and it still says Engine 3, v1.01.

Am I being punked or what? Terrible.
Any insights for me? Logic and reasoning have failed so far.

@Concord
Have you tried using the all-in-one installer to bring CMBS up to the latest and most current iteration of the game.
If you are behind on patching and keeping your games updated that is what I would try

Gah! I hate Battlefront's stupid patches. It's like something out of the 90's.

I checked and my CMBS main screen said Engine 3, v1.01

I went to their website page here, and the first thing I see is:

Game Engine 4 Patches
  • IMPORTANT! Do not patch from here if you have an Engine 3 install

I have engine 3. So I look at the next section which says:

Game Engine 3 Patches
Okay, so if I have v1.01, I should use the second one. Installed it. Open the game, and it still says v1.01.
Maybe I need to proceed to the next one, the first on the list. Download it, install it.
Open the game, and it still says Engine 3, v1.01.

Am I being punked or what? Terrible.
Any insights for me? Logic and reasoning have failed so far.

Strange, perhaps try to install it another time? Seems like the problem is that it didn't install correctly, perhaps it went to another location than where you have the game installed?

On another note, I'm on engine 4. Can players with 3 and 4 play together?

I think you will motivate each other quite nicely!!! It would be awesome to see Rico's BS musings, art and creations come to life! And for Concord's enthusiasm to have another outlet!!

Here was my solution to go from CMBS Engine 3 to 4.

Logged into my Battlefront account. Saw that I had purchased Upgrade 4 Big Bundle back 2017.
Downloaded and ran that patch. Had to reactivate the game with the activate-product link in the game folder.

Idiotic and badly designed website, instructions, and process.
But now, my CMBS is Engine 4 v2.00

@Leatherface,
It is not possible for players using two different versions of same engine to play together. In your case a player on version 3 of the game would not even be able to open a file generated by yourself.

I uninstalled the whole dumpster fire, downloaded the full game and installed it. :rolleyes:
Well they have listened to your sighs and went the steam way ;)

Didn't really have troubles with all the patches myself over the last decade orso, but I'm supposed to be somewhat PC savvy (line of work etc). Although with all the families, modules, upgrades and patches CM sure isn't one of the simplest installs around.

I don't know why patching is such a problem for people.
I discovered Combat Mission in 2013 and have had no problem patching in those 7years

Back