Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

A new modern campaign?

@Nathangun do you remember that big campaign run by a bunch of guys using CMAK? That was good fun.
I ran a long running CMAK campaign many years back ... in 2008

1613307716355.png

1613307737523.png

1613307764399.png

Good old hex and counter and the divisional battles all played out with QB points and auto-generated maps (one of the good points of early CMx1) as far as I remember.

Each player commanded a division. (quite challenging for the guys commanding Italians :LOL: )

The small counters were extra arty and AT assets and 88's as well..

Was a lot of fun at the time -- ran out of steam in the end but did make it through 13 campaign turns.

The master map was built in Adobe Illustrator --- went all the way from Tunisia to Alexandria (don't have any of the original map files anymore)

Last edited:
As this huge urban map gets more and more populated, I'm getting crashes to desktop, particularly when loading the 3D preview.

My old computer rig has been a bit wobbly lately, although it hasn't been too unstable.
It was glitchy enough that I have invested in a new computer rig (I've got it, but haven't set it up yet because of ongoing home renovations).

So, it may be my computer playing up. But I'm also wondering about the game engine.
Surely if the designers allow you to create a 4km x 4km map size, it ought to be able to handle it, even with a fairly complex urban layout?

I have made a backup save of the map and a week ago I backed up my hard drive.
I might do a new backup onto my portable SSD to be safe and I may have to set up my new rig ahead of when I was planning to.

Does anyone have any insights into how the Combat Mission game engine goes with huge, complex maps?
I hope it will allow me to complete the project without increasingly frequent crashes! It's challenging enough as it is, without that added problem.

The graphics card in my new rig is a Radeon RX 6900, so no more Nvidia for me.
I will look at boosting the graphics after the map is done.

Right now I'm just looking for reassurance that the Combat Mission game engine is up to the task at hand.
Hopefully someone has experience with (or read about) creating huge maps. It's got me concerned my efforts working on this beast will be for naught.

@Concord, I know with @Ithikial's WWII Lions of Carpiquet some players have had crashes on some of the larger maps, this is during gameplay with heavy artillery and on occasion trying to play real-time. I've had no issues so I'm guessing it's rig related. You could take a duplicate of the map then cut each in half so map A is north, map B is south, and work on them separately. You're going to cut up the map for gameplay anyway.

Okay, thanks for letting me know. Good to know others experience it too.
Maybe there will be less crashes with my new computer.

Great idea about splitting it. I kind of wanted to supply it to the community in one piece, but that's a solid backup plan, thanks.

Just a suggestion: Create a Huge Map in the 'Editor'. Icons and Buildings become symbolic. Standard Church for a Rural Town. Example Battalion HQ is the symbol for a Battalion. Armored Company HQ for an Armored Company. On my map, 1km becomes 10km or even 100 km. We get maneuver warfare that way. Once there is a contact, we use our map as references to make smaller maps the usual way.

Back