Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Battle 1# - Day 1 Dawn (North) Dutch Grenadier

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dutch Grenadier

Need to know what recon mission you want to set. Three touch objectives, please highlight there location and their total points value - drawing on a map helps here. Combined this should equal 1000 victory pts. Alternatively do you want to have a generic Spotting Objective covering the entire enemy force.

You also need to declare if any of the nearby forces are going to come on map as reinforcements.

@Ithikial

Not sure what you want me to do? Do I need to pick a force that I want to commit for a recon mission? And do I need to set objectives on the Russian side that I need to recon?

Um... Dutch you have read the campaign rule book right? Specifically sections 1.3.2 -> 1.3.4. :p

In your case the forces inside the red box will start on map but you have the option of calling in nearby uncommitted forces as reinforcements if you want. (ie forces to the west of the red box).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jtxcztx2t9877qu/Axis Dawn response with reinforcements.jpg?dl=0

Also you need to let me know which terrain features you want your troops to reach (in this case Touch objectives) to meet there requirements of undertaking a recon mission. Alternatively you can have a 'Spotting' Mission set up where you get victory points for identifying/spotting enemy units. I just need to know so I can set the victory point parameters in the editor.

@Odin can you assist if required.

Hi @Dutch Grenadier hope you had a good holiday and are suitably prepared for battle! If you take a look at Ithikial's post on page 10 of the morning orders thread he has marked your battlefield out. Basically it's a narrow battlefield, starting on square A8 and ending on A11. If you take a look at my post on page 10 of the morning orders thread you will see I plotted three touch objectives for Das Tiger. You'll need to do the same so Ithikial can add them to your map. These touch objectives should be in or around A11.

From what I can pick up intel wise, the Soviets don't have any men positioned in the part of the map you are scouting (It may be worth considering moving units across the river during the next turn?). However, I may be wrong about that and I think it is a strong possibility that if the Soviets don't have men positioned there at the moment, they will send reinforcements during the encounter. If there aren't any enemy troops positioned in the area you are scouting you will have at least 20 minutes before they arrive. Therefore it may be worth sprinting a squad forward to try and take the touch objectives and successfully complete the mission before the Soviets arrive and have the chance to hit you with a counterattack. On a side note you could send your marders and/or flak forward one square as reinforcements to help support your scouts, but that is up to you as you may feel it's not worth the risk of exposing them to enemy fire. If you want some additional artillery support I can allocate some 120mm mortars and 88mm flak. However, only use this additional off-map artillery if you come under a counter attack. As using them will mean the ammunition levels drop one level for the next turn.

Remember as this is a scouting mission unfortunately we cannot take and hold the territory you are scouting, so I don't think it's worth moving a significant number of troops as ultimately they will have to return to their frontline at the end of the battle, and the Russians may drop a load of arty on them. If you come under severe arty fire or a strong counter attack it could also be worth hitting the ceasefire button early and hoping the Russians have done same in order to save your men.

Get in touch if you need some assistance.

Good luck ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For my scouting mission I would like to commit 2 squads of panzergrenadiers. The only objective I want to scout is the bridge and ridgeline between my position and the village. The village itself is to large to scout.

For reinforcements I would like the Marders.

Is that enough?

I don't think I need to use any artillery since you @Odin and @DasTiger will need it more.

Btter check with @Ithikial if that'll be ok. I know for DT's recce mission he wanted the touch objectives in finally couple of squares of the campaign map.

I'll work with it to get things moving. Touch objectives need to be in the opponent's half of the map so the bridge is definitely a little too close. As I mentioned at with the South Battle when they had a similar objective placement just outside their deployment zone, we don't want to award victory points for taking a stroll down to the river to take a leak. :) The start of the village is the halfway point of the map.

Some GM advice, stick with a spotting objective for this one. Spotting Objectives haven't really been used in CM much since CMSF days. May be a bit boring but all you have to worry about is identifying enemy units rather than reach a particular piece of terrain.

Then just set up 3 touch objectives in the village.

Regarding the spotting objective I need some advice @Odin

From the CM 3.0 manual.
Spot: you earn points by spotting and identifying the designated units.

You get points for simply seeing the enemy. In the campaign the whole Soviet force gets labeled as a unit objective worth 1000 pts. The more units you see the closer to 1000 pts you'll get.

GM Tip: You can play the whole mission sitting in your trenches spotting the Soviets.

So a little confused here.... My real objectives are not the 3 touch objectives. I need to spot some units to pull this one off? I have touched 2 of the 3 objectives in my battle and was thinking I am about done!!!

No Tiger, your mission was a Touch Objective from the start. So yes you only need to worry about your three terrain based objectives.

The Spotting option is a completely separate objective pathway for those wanting to undertake recon mission in the campaign but don't necessarily want to reach specific terrain objectives on the opponents half of the CM map.

No Tiger, your mission was a Touch Objective from the start. So yes you only need to worry about your three terrain based objectives.

The Spotting option is a completely separate objective pathway for those wanting to undertake recon mission in the campaign but don't necessarily want to reach specific terrain objectives on the opponents half of the CM map.
Ahhh. I understand. Thank you. So when I reach the last objective should I call for a ceasefire from my opponent?

Ok well how do I set my spotting stuff from within my trenches?

Every time you see a Soviet icon pop up in game you score points. Doesn't matter how it happens. Don't have to kill them, just have to see them.

GM Override - This has been delayed long enough and not fair on the Soviet team. Setting up the mission now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back