Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM:Battle for Normandy General Discussion

Just downloaded the demo and had a quick few turns, its bloody good .To many things to list which I like well done Battlefront

Okay at 49kb/s the demo took over 3 hours to d/l, so I bought a loaf of bread and went to feed the seagulls on the seafront while I was waiting.
My first impressions are that it's a blend of the old CM and CMSF and works pretty well, but I wish the units could be enlarged like in CM.
I know the floating icons mark units locations but they clutter the map and i'd have liked to have seen an 'enlarge units' option instead to make them easier to see, then there'd be no need for floaters.
I mean, here's a demo screenshot i just took, the units are small and fiddly without any meat on them, in fact it's hard to see the infantry in that brush, the overall effect is uncomfortable like looking the wrong way down a telescope.
The enemy units in the distance are so small they're almost invisible; I know we could zoom or scroll over the map to see what they are, but it'd be much less hassle if they could be enlarged so we could see what they are from a distance.
Matrix's PC:Ostfront has an 'enlarge units' option..;)

BN1.gif

'CM:Battle for Normandy' - demo - first impressions

I have played it only for short time but I like
1) infantry movement
2) hmg effectiveness
3) mortars
4) tanks movement and tanks tactics
5) graphics
6) camouflage of guns
7) good old we-go system works perfect ( a lot to watch :)

Seems to be quite a improvement from Shock Force but that can hardly be called a complement since SF was rediculously shitty.
But units follow orders better than in SF and AT-guns seem to more useful than the one-shot-wonders in CMx1, since they can be quite hard to spot and targeted effectivly. I just hope BF would at least fine tune the camera controls and do something to the horribly UI which hasn't chanced at all from SF, before the release. Oh and bigger time frame/unit pool/Brits than just the initial American part of Normandy campaign would be nice instead of making us buy those bullshit modules of theirs they promised to make afterwards.

I'm slightly optimistic that BN won't be utter crap like SF but I'm still highly skeptical of the quality of the final product. I'll reserve my judgement after I have thoroughly been able to test the full version.

I can see Earl of Grey stroking his chin, saying with smile on his face told you would like it :) lol I do like it

Seems to be quite a improvement from Shock Force but that can hardly be called a complement since SF was rediculously shitty.
But units follow orders better than in SF and AT-guns seem to more useful than the one-shot-wonders in CMx1, since they can be quite hard to spot and targeted effectivly. I just hope BF would at least fine tune the camera controls and do something to the horribly UI which hasn't chanced at all from SF, before the release. Oh and bigger time frame/unit pool/Brits than just the initial American part of Normandy campaign would be nice instead of making us buy those bullshit modules of theirs they promised to make afterwards.

What? You dont like the concept of paying another 30 or 40 bones for a couple more units and vehicles. I am guilty of buying all the CMSF modules though. I love CMSF and am sure I will like CMBN but I just cannot agree with their concept on shutting out the modding community. I know what people are going to say to this but just think what some people out there would do with this game if it was opened up some allowing user made units and mods. Wishful thinking.

On the other hand I almost destroyed my computer last night (3am) trying to dl the damn demo. Those links and speeds were garbage and I needed to check this out before I went to bed. Needless to say I did not get it dl'd and had to go to bed only to get up 3 hours later for work. Oh well. I was able to use logmein.com and dl the demo to my home computer and install. It is ready to rock as soon as I get in the door. At least until the wife gets home!!

Just remember: It's neither CMBO not CMSF. It's got features of both, but is an entirely different game once all is said and done.

After fiddling little more with the demo I noticed couple of things. The program freezes often when I try to quit. I click "End" in the main menu and the game freezes and I have to open the task manager and close the program from there. And when loading a saved game and continuing that battle, during the computing of the next action phase, the desktop flashes to screen for a second or two. Like the game was minimized and brought back up really quickly. This happens only when loading a saved game, not when starting a new one.
Anyone else have similar problems?

So after several downloads, installs and trials, it definitely doesn't work on my gaming rig with XP (CTD on loading right after the Battlefront banner) works on my laptop with Windows 7 / 64. I'm working tomorrrow night, so I already know what I will be doing between midnight and 7 o'clock...lol
I think if I plug my laptop with HDMI to my 22' screen, I will be able to run middle size battles at 1440 x 900 with balanced graphics.

The demo runs perfectly on my PC, in fact it always runs everything I throw at it without a murmur, old games and new.
It's about a year old, I told the local shop to build me a good gaming PC and left it to them to choose the components, the only thing I insisted on was good old reliable WinXP Home.
It cost me about £600 (970 US dollars)
Specs-
Intel Core2 Duo E8500@3.16GHz
RAM 4.0GB Dual-channel DDR2@400Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1024Mb
WinXP Home SP3

The game runs fine on my machine Wind 7/ 6 gig ram/ 2 ghz quad core chip/ niv 8800 500mg graphics.

Downloaded the demo and strated the game up. Although it had a stranges mangled screen when starting it up it came with the appropriate screen afterwards. I started the trainingscenario and just looked at the screen to get a little feel of it (and perhaps for it too). It seemed all OK.
I have a laptop which runs on XP Pro.

Must say I',m not overly impressed by the graphics.

Must say I',m not overly impressed by the graphics.

Me too.
It looks good, but it would look awesome if it's 2005...and colors are weird...

Back