Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

CM:Battle for Normandy General Discussion

Had a look at it -- oh, boy this'll take some getting used to visually, not to mention the different keyboard shortcuts (the CM1 ones are so ingrained) -- but looks good so far.
Oh God, I had the same problem with the game commands. Reading some of the manual, there a section that explains how you can redo the hot key command and save it.

The demo runs perfectly on my PC, in fact it always runs everything I throw at it without a murmur, old games and new.
It's about a year old, I told the local shop to build me a good gaming PC and left it to them to choose the components, the only thing I insisted on was good old reliable WinXP Home.
It cost me about £600 (970 US dollars)
Specs-
Intel Core2 Duo E8500@3.16GHz
RAM 4.0GB Dual-channel DDR2@400Mhz
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 1024Mb
WinXP Home SP3

If it is only one year old, it was already a bit outdated at the time... Funny I have the same but mine is 2 1/2 years old, the only difference is that my graphic card is an ATI, may be that's where the problem is ? First time I have something not working on this PC ...

These screenshots are from the 'Closing the Pocket' demo scenario (the Panthers and Marders come on as reinfs from about turn 10)

In this pic the shooting has already started but it's impossible to see what's shooting at my Gers because the American units in the village and beyond are so tiny, and the floaters just add to the clutter.
I wish BF would replace the floaters with an 'enlarge'units' button-
bn-uos2.gif

Toggling off the bloody floaters (ALT-I) cleans things up a bit and allows us to see a couple of Shermans on the ridge behind the village but they're so small that you need the eyes of a hawk to see them. There are no doubt US infantry in the ville but I can't be bothered to zoom all the way down there to poke around looking for microscopic little units hiding in barns, pigsties and henhouses-
bn-uos1.gif

Needless to say, if the trees are toggled on like this we can't see jack, but that's not a problem because most of us play with trees off anyway-
bn-uos3.gif

and toggling the floaters on like this just adds to the clutter-
bn-uos4.gif

This pic is from another demo scen, my Shers are being shot at and are shooting back but the jerries are totally invisible in the hedgerow so we feel like we're playing 'blind', because hedges can't be toggled off.
For example what the hell knocked out that Sher? And what are the two Shers shooting at, they can see the target but I can't!
If this was CMx1 we'd see the enemy units begin appearing on screen (schrecks, ATG's etc) as they became spotted, but in BN we have to wait for the turn to end so we can go into replay mode and rummage among the shrubbery to see what's lurking in there, all very time-consuming-
bn-uos5.gif

SUMMARY SO FAR- The game has potential, but if anything's going to kill it, it's the fact that the units are too small to see comfortably, so I'd urge BF to bring out a patch that gives us an 'enlarge units' option same as in CMx1, with say 3 options- Realistic/Medium/Large.

If it is only one year old, it was already a bit outdated at the time... Funny I have the same but mine is 2 1/2 years old, the only difference is that my graphic card is an ATI, may be that's where the problem is ? First time I have something not working on this PC ...

I have an ATI card too, my laptop about 4 and half years old (but was top specs then) and I have no problem. In one of teh set-up screens there was a special mention for ATI card holders, but can't remember where it was about.

Hurray more glitches! This time the controls stopped working. The game didn't react to any input from my keybord and mouse, expect I could still move the camera around by moving the cursor to the edges of the screen. Shutting down and restarting the game fixed it.

POS : " Needless to say, if the trees are toggled on like this we can't see jack, but that's not a problem because most of us play with trees off anyway-"

I can imagine how ugly the map without trees can look like ! Normandy without trees ! It must bring back the good old days of ASL !
May be I am the only one around here, but I always played CM with real scale units and trees full on ! It can happen (rarely) I remove them during an order phase for the time of giving a specific order.

I always play the game as is too. May help in accounting for my stellar win ratio.

POS : " Needless to say, if the trees are toggled on like this we can't see jack, but that's not a problem because most of us play with trees off anyway-"

I can imagine how ugly the map without trees can look like ! Normandy without trees ! It must bring back the good old days of ASL !
May be I am the only one around here, but I always played CM with real scale units and trees full on ! It can happen (rarely) I remove them during an order phase for the time of giving a specific order.

I also play with realistic scale on and trees on...(ok, when I need to find some lost units I turn the trees off).
I already see that CMBN is more a simulation than a game -- maybe too much in the simulation direction for some -- CMx1 always struck a very good balance between the two -- too early to say yet, I haven't had time to fiddle with it much yet.
Is there a gamma setting to turn down that garish sunlight in the game?
This demo has arrived at a very bad time -- I am supposed to do a LOT of work for an exhibition this weekend...damn!!

This DEMO might just ruin my home life, let alone when the full version appears. I am not saying it's the best game ever, but it's the best game I have played in a long time. I am used to CMSF so the UI is a breeze, it the lethality of infantry weapons that is intense to me. To much playing CMSF has spoiled me! Oh well, I am having a blast, and have played every scenario from both sides. Want a real challange, play the Hedgerow Scenario as the Germans!!!!! And have fun with that, I got my but kicked!!!!

I found a couple of glitches too-
I found that map editor had some glitches too
the light and heavy forest/wood when place on the map were brushes instead,
If BF was really smart, they should have us as beta players, not a brunches of noobs and wannabees.

:RpS_confused:
Lighthorse

I found some graphics glitches myself.
When it is set to highest details, it does not always render objects more than few meters away (NVidia).

I'm back :)

Thought i'd pop in to say how much i'm loving this demo.

First a few points to address

POS, I'm afraid an enlarge units option is not gna happen, its just in the way the game engine works, the units are no longer just visual representations of units, they are the actual units, so make a tank look twice as big and it is now actually twice as big, so im afraid it won't happen.

Now I admit coming from CMx1 it takes a lot of getting used to looking for the icons instead of the unit bases and units, but after 10-20 hours of play you will get used to it.

So far i'm very impressed, all the good stuff from CMSF, in WW2, can't wait for the full thing :)

POS, I'm afraid an enlarge units option is not gna happen,.......after 10-20 hours of play you will get used to it...

Not if I'm too busy playing PC:Ostfront which DOES have an enlarge option..:)
Matrix and me are on the same wavelength, they've incorporated at least 4 of my suggestions into PC:O, namely Enlarge option/ a get rid of Reaction Phase option/ They've binned the 'silver sea' map surround, and they've included a full 'trees off' toggle.
They're also sending me a review copy of the full game.
I've asked Battlefront for a CMBN review copy when it's released but whether they'll send one I don't know.

I'm on for the night trying this demo, will give my comments later...

Trying to get used to the movement/style...It isn't the same CM...to be honest, they should have called it something else. It doesn't have the CMx1 feel to it....At all.

Back