Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well,
Yesterday was an interesting day at the school where I work.

6th Form students had a breakfast provided for them, and then spent the rest of the day with teachers reminiscing about their experiences at school, all good humoured and well behaved.

Yr 11's had a two hour mock exam, and then after break returned to the main hall for a celebration assembly followed by fish and chips courtesy of the Headmaster.

Some high jinks but nothing more than one dining chair being deposited in a bush, and two others taking up a car parking space, so not too bad really.

From next week the school will be open to students who still need to come in (including vulnerable students and those whose parents can't be at home such as key workers).

As Site Manager that gives me an opportunity to enable the caretakers to crack on with some maintenance work that would otherwise be held back until the school holidays, and to bring forward some contractors works where possible.
I've also moved the Fire assembly Point from a position at the rear of the site, to the large coach parking area we have at the front of the school as the students coming in will all be using rooms at the front.

I feel for the students, and also for the teachers, who have worked so hard to prepare students for exams only to have the fruits of their labour taken away from them by the situation that we all find ourselves in, but such is life, we are all in the same boat.

Thankfully, although we have some teachers off in self isolation, we have not had any cases directly.

Fingers crossed everyone else is ok.

Steve

Udklip.PNG

Just in case anybody ever wondered how the disease could spread so quickly. I just took this screenshot from https://www.flightradar24.com/

Actually I got surprised, because I thought most flights had been shut down? Didn't the US recently stop all flights from Europe?

Yes, it was a screenshot I took at the time I posted it.. you can check the link for how the situation is now. The sky is still full of planes.

Also, don't forget, besides passenger flights, there's also a LOT of air freight going on as well.

But your point is well taken... those spread patterns of the virus do coincide nicely with air travel density.

On my way back to Kansas City yesterday I was listening to talk radio to get a feel for what I was returning to after being gone for 6 days. They had a caller that was a truck driver and had been for 40 years. He said that the supply chain is intact, plants are producing the supplies needed and they are getting to where they need to go. The issue is the people who are hoarding are creating shortages. We already knew that, but the interesting point is that the supplies are available and they are being moved. So the obvious solution is to allow the purchase of only so many items.

Cases now:
5T2YZVH.png

Greetings and take care
[/QUOTE]

Interesting to compare @Louis original post to now. China seems to have stabilized, assuming this is the truth. Germany, France and the US starting to catch Italy and Spain.

Meanwhile in my Spanish village. Shops are stocked, no chaos apart from a few fire crackers on St Joseph's Day. Tonight the streets got disinfected at 7pm, right around dinner time. :sneaky: The wife got stopped by the cops and questioned on the streets today on the way to the shop.

Just in case anybody ever wondered how the disease could spread so quickly. I just took this screenshot from https://www.flightradar24.com/

Actually I got surprised, because I thought most flights had been shut down? Didn't the US recently stop all flights from Europe?

Actually, if you look at the link provided below you can already see the significant drop in flights:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/statistics

Looking at a global picture/map in Flightradar will always give a wrong impression, due to scale. One should know there is something "wrong" when you see an aircraft symbol which has the size of Spain, for example. ;)

Looking at a global picture/map in Flightradar will always give a wrong impression, due to scale. One should know there is something "wrong" when you see an aircraft symbol which has the size of Spain, for example. ;)

Obviously :) But I was talking about the number of flights, and that it seemed there were still flights from Europe to the US. But as @Rico said, those might be freight planes .. I had not considered that.

Well, it was announced last night that the Kansas City metro is going into a 30-day lockdown starting 12:01 AM. Tuesday. No unnecessary going outside and you can only go for food and medical care, but have to practice social distancing. You can go to the parks for exercise if you practice social distancing.

I am not being political, just an observation. What I find alarming is that I read the Department of Justice wants to suspend constitutional rights during the crisis. That potentially means no election. Which makes us an authoritarian regime if that happens. Like, if this happens, who decides that the crisis has passed and restores constitutional protections?

Read up on Ollie North, not the Iran Contra bullshit but what ELSE he worked on if you want to learn what happens to your rights if they get suspended.

What is interesting is that people are attempting to leave the city (London), move to second homes and even camp sites with caravans. Numbers of people moving to Scotland (Bootie Country), Cornwall, Wales, and the lakes district are beginning to annoy the locals, with there limited resource.

What is interesting is that people are attempting to leave the city (London), move to second homes and even camp sites with caravans. Numbers of people moving to Scotland (Bootie Country), Cornwall, Wales, and the lakes district are beginning to annoy the locals, with there limited resource.

This one came to mind.

But it's fun looking at the little moving pictures of aircraft. ;)

Announced today, some parts of Australia go into lock down on Tuesday, but pretty clear we'll all be in that state this time next week. <Sigh> Bad day.

I am not being political, just an observation. What I find alarming is that I read the Department of Justice wants to suspend constitutional rights during the crisis. That potentially means no election. Which makes us an authoritarian regime if that happens. Like, if this happens, who decides that the crisis has passed and restores constitutional protections?

You'll find most of those rights will be restored, note I said most.

There's talk that landlords should suspend rent for a time, and banks suspend mortgage repayments (using some of their 'record' multi billion dollar profits each year!) while this is going on.
Bloody great idea, but like so many other great ideas it will probably get ignored.

Even more of a concern than the actual pandemic for me (which is bad enough obviously), is the possibility of a recession to rival the 1930's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back