Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Day 1 Dawn Battles Ready to Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just waiting on Odin and Strachwitz to finish off their fight which they could now resume since the CMRT update. However not sure if you've seen my other posts but I can't open the PBEM files for the two completed battles. (With updated CMRT). The game saves CTD at the 26% mark.

I may need a report from players on losses they suffered, territory they gained and general areas of the map they plastered with arty. etc. Turn 1 has been a bit of a guinea pig run with flaws being found in the ruleset and the infamous 26% bug... but hopefully that's behind us.

I don't *think* I have access any longer to the files for my game (finished ages ago now ...). However, in the thread on "my" battle, number 3, post 58 ( http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgm...y-1-dawn-south-philm.20656/page-3#post-175168 ) has screen shots of the final map and the final "score" screen. Will this do if between us we cannot find or open up the game file(s)?

Hmm, this could indeed be a problem. I think we need access to the final files to see which units actually suffered casualties to edit the OOBs accordingly. Maybe it helps that I still got the old version installed and should be able to open the files and maybe convert them to the latest version. Maybe one of the "Axis" guys also has an old version installed to get the info for their OOB....I am sure we can work something out.

It's workable and a one off problem. Worst case scenario you guys have to provide feedback on who took casualties etc and I'll be a fair an impartial GM. Honest. :p @PhilM - Definitely a good start. :) Something solid I can work with if need be.

It's a long weekend here in Oz so hoping to get my updates done this weekend. (24 - 26th of Jan)

Well played @Strachwitz, our epic encounter has now concluded with a Soviet Total Victory. Although the Germans were able to inflict a relatively high number of casualties, as you can see from the summary screen photo there were Soviet reserves on tap (now I know why my pc was struggling to keep up with the play ;)) and after the devastating opening artillery barrages, I just couldn't halt Strachwitz's well executed river assault.

I think this would make a great stand alone scenario (maybe minus a few Soviet reserves;) ) and I'll post the final part of my AAR in the next few days to give you the low down on the German viewpoint. Once again Strachwitz well played. It was a great game.

Yep I can open the file. Looks like a brutal run for you life there at the end judging by that last minute of action. :p I'll start going over this material on the long weekend coming up. Given the 26% bug I will need some kind of report from the other players of the north and south battles to keep this ticking along smoothly. Won't be perfect but bugs are are bugs. :(

In the meantime the campaign clock ticks onwards so start talking strategy for the next series of battles. :)

How do we proceed from here @Ithikial . If I remember correct it is now the "teamleaders" turn to edit the OOBs to reflect the losses of men and material. As for the russian side I can open the last files from PhilM and nathangun and see the casualties...

How do we proceed from here @Ithikial . If I remember correct it is now the "teamleaders" turn to edit the OOBs to reflect the losses of men and material. As for the russian side I can open the last files from PhilM and nathangun and see the casualties...

Glad you can see and open the files, mine especially. I finished my battle on 17 September last year (!!!), and cannot now remember anything more than is contained in the brief summary I set out in the post I linked above, which shows my final screens. (Except to confirm that, IIRC, all of my losses were in the standard infantry squads and their trucks; and that all of the armour units, artillery and mortars, etc were I think left untouched ...)

Well played @Strachwitz, our epic encounter has now concluded with a Soviet Total Victory. Although the Germans were able to inflict a relatively high number of casualties, as you can see from the summary screen photo there were Soviet reserves on tap (now I know why my pc was struggling to keep up with the play ;)) and after the devastating opening artillery barrages, I just couldn't halt Strachwitz's well executed river assault.

I think this would make a great stand alone scenario (maybe minus a few Soviet reserves;) ) and I'll post the final part of my AAR in the next few days to give you the low down on the German viewpoint. Once again Strachwitz well played. It was a great game.

Thanks @Odin. Although the scores suggest something different on the first glimpse this really was a very very hard fight. And the battle was more than once on the knifes edge. It could have gone either way. You really put a good defense and there were times in the game were I really considered pulling my units back. The river crossing was a though one to achieve and it really was a monster to plan and coordinate.
Was the opening barrage really that devastating? I was under the impression, besides the cover from the smoke, the barrage was more or less ineffective. I couldn`t find many casualties besides the 2 Marders....

@Strachwitz I did try to position as many men as possible behind the woods and behind the front part of Dybow to avoid getting caught. Unfortunately, for my poor pixel truppen, the barrages were so large and effective many still perished. One of my infantry company's suffered a huge casualty rate of around 50%+ from the artillery fire you directed onto the thin narrow stretch of woodland running back from the Northern Woods in the first 20-30 minutes. This along with a barrage or two which stretched beyond the main clump of woodland into foxholes positioned behind, had a devastating effect on the company and left the survivors quivering wrecks for the rest of the encounter, incapable of little more than running away every time a bullet came within 10 yards of them. You didn't find many bodies because I gave the poor sods their last rights with some buddy aid. Most are now buried 6 ft under Red Army camp fires!

Although painful the artillery fire was most definitely spectacular. Hats off to your management of the river crossings, I thought they were very well co-ordinated.

The Marders you mentioned were actually killed by a single shot from a T-34 which sliced through one and straight into the other 15-20 yards behind. Nice shooting comrade... :mad: ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Strachwitz , @Odin - I'll review the files that I can open (Centre battle) and go through any reports/forum posts to get any intel about the other battles where the 26% bug comes into play. I'll then update the Excel OOB's for both sides which can then be reflected in your master OOB editor files.

While you're doing that and discussing strategy, I'll provide new Campaign maps for both sides and update the master map with battle damage.

So that means...
GM
- Review files and update Excel OOB workbook
- Update campaign map for both sides with updated force locations and fog of war considerations.
- Update master map in editor with battle damage, craters, destroyed buildings etc.

Players
- Update their OOB CM Editor files to reflect Excel workbook.
- Talk Strategy and plan future moves for the next phase. 1000 hours from memory. (At work don't have rulebook in front of me).

Sound like plan?

@Ithikial sounds good to me.

@Dutch Grenadier it appears as though @DasTiger has not been around for some time. Fingers crossed he will be back, but I think you and I should push on ahead and reincorporate DT when he returns. Would this be ok with you?

I think lets hold off finding a replacement for now. I'm thinking for the next turn, if one of us doesn't have a battle or is only involved in a smaller one, that person could play out any encounter that DT would have been involved in. What do you think?

Sounds fine by me. It does depend on what the future brings. I might going to host a similiar campaign like Rikonovo for cmbn.

No worries if you've got you're hands full I'd be happy to take command of DT's men for now and then either put him back in command for the third turn or if hasn't returned to FGM look for another member to get involved.

Started going through the center battle. Ugh.... Soviet OOB is a bitch.

That new rule improvement about all units need to remain under the respective chain of commands is definitely going into force. That applies to the Germans as well. (What's left anyway.... :oops: ). Still not seeing any updates about the north and the south battle for the files I can't open. Will be getting creative. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back