Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Drifter Man vs Titan DAR

I regret to announce that an accident happened to Herr Titan von Titanhof. He died a hero's death.

If bulletproof Hans was weird enough, this is a complete absurdity. What you see is the effect of a SMG team at maximum range - they are literally 200 meters from the bunker.
I am a competitive shooter in real life.

In real life, an SMG would have to aim about 5 feet high to get bullets into the bunker's firing slit at 200 meters.

That is for 9mm. The Russian 7.62 X 25mm may shoot a little bit flatter.

In real life, an SMG would have to aim about 5 feet high to get bullets into the bunker's firing slit at 200 meters.

How would the spread be at that range?

How would the spread be at that range?

From a benchrest and firing single, carefully aimed rounds, the weapon is probably going to put bullets into a 4 to 6 inch circle at that range. A very talented human shooter will keep that 4 to 6 inch circle. But most people are not that talented.

Firing full automatic will greatly increase the size of this circle. That depends on the recoil of the weapon (WW2 SMGs are actually very heavy and pretty nice recoiling) and how good the human is. If I had to guess, the spread would increase by a factor of 10 or more with an average shooter.

Firing short, aimed bursts and expending an entire magazine in combat conditions......I bet the final group would be the size of the side of a barn.

Bottom line, this is a pretty lucky shot from an SMG. Most people would not know to aim 5 feet high and most people could not effectively manage recoil.

So the SMG gunner was spraying and the battalion commander got very unlucky.

Last edited:
For soldiers in cover / buildings there is AFAIK indeed abstracted protection (and bullets will go through them without hurting). But in this case the bullets 'splatted' on the soldier, or perhaps some bushes right in front of him?
Yes - it could be. In this case Hans was just plain "lucky"... I mean, all things considered.

Ah I see. But indeed still enough reasons to bring m :) If not in close range, further away behind terrain or off map they can still give great suppression / area denial and or lethal fires imo.

Maybe he was expecting a T-34 horde? :D
I brought my mortar platoon into the mirror battle. I lost one section well before they could use all their ammo - one team to rocket artillery and the other to Titan's targeted mortar attack. But the others did a good job before they were overrun by the horde.

Actually, when I said "absurdity", I meant it in comparison to what I see happening everywhere else on the battlefield - I am in no position to judge if it is realistic. In CM, hundreds of rounds are expended to make just a few kills. And here one guy with a SMG fired 6, 7 and 3 rounds from 200 meters at a HQ team in a bunker to get the 1st, 2nd and 3rd kill (the 3rd was in the next turn). No spraying was involved. Praying - maybe :)
This is definitely a bug or a glitch. When pixeltruppen stand up to fire the MG from the bunker, they become extremely exposed (not visibly, but behind the scenes in the game) and easy to kill. The protection of the bunker just doesn't count at that point, at least from some angles. One kill would be a fluke, three kills using 16 rounds within about 20 seconds are a clear pattern.

Here is the situation from the perspective of the shooter:
kVPTHFZ.jpg

Bottom line, this is a pretty lucky shot from an SMG. Most people would not know to aim 5 feet high and most people could not effectively manage recoil.

Also I guess that since the SMG doesn't fire tracers, there's no real way of knowing where you're hitting, since you can't really see the impacts at that range, and so you can't walk the shots on target.

This is definitely a bug or a glitch. When pixeltruppen stand up to fire the MG from the bunker, they become extremely exposed (not visibly, but behind the scenes in the game) and easy to kill. The protection of the bunker just doesn't count at that point, at least from some angles. One kill would be a fluke, three kills using 16 rounds within about 20 seconds are a clear pattern.

Probably because bunkers are modelled as stationary vehicles, so the same accuracy bonus gets applied as when riflemen easily pick off halftrack gunners ?

I don't want to be the guy who always complains about CM, but it seems to me the bunkers are not really modelled well in many ways.

Yeah that is 100% a problem with CM. It's probably the same exact code that enables turret gunners to get killed with insane accuracy. Idk how this hasnt been given official attention lol. Broken items like this should not be in the game in this state

I just played a RT scenario with bunker. Killed 3 with the same SMG trick. The glitch seems to be in RT rather than over all. I never noticed it in BN for example.

cmrt is by far my most played title so thats probably why i never noticed it. I hope they fix it sometime soon is my point, I love these games.

Turn 54. Time for a proper update. Over the past few turns my forces have been locked in a firefight with Titan's on both flanks. With time running out, I am advancing with less caution and accept higher losses to ensure a complete victory. All reserves are now committed to the fight, creating a bit of a stampede on the front line, but the firepower I can now bring to bear is massive. Tanks remain mostly in reserve - shooting HE through the woods risks hurting me more than my opponent, so there is little benefit to gain against exposing the tanks to Panzerschrecks. I am nearly out of 60mm 50mm mortar ammo, but I still have a fair amount of 82mm. Mortars continue to open the way forward, again and again. Now, in Turn 56, Titan has pulled back across the front - his third pullback in this battle - opening the way to take the first two objectives. I am in a hurry, but I make sure to pick up casualties. I especially pause SMG teams to treat their wounded and pick up their precious ammunition. My casualties are 107 men - 17% of my force.

No update to my estimate of Titan's forces. His main formation is the Aufklärungs Battalion, I have seen about a company, most of them have taken a beating. There is also the Sturm Platoon, this could be Titan's crack or elite reserve. One squad and a HQ were practically destroyed on Central Hill, another operates on Northern Hill #2. I expect a third squad somewhere. I also expect at least one more platoon, maybe two, in reserve. I have seen 14 HMG teams, maybe 15. Of these, 6 have been destroyed while 5 more have taken heavy losses and are reduced to 1-2 men. A Marder and a SPW 251/1 halftrack are active. A Pz IVJ, a Stummel and an SdKfz 7/1 have been destroyed. None of the three Titan's bunkers are currently active - all are destroyed or abandoned. Titan has taken 195 confirmed losses.

b6HtNOx.jpg

On the left - "Northern Hill #2" I established a foothold but have not expanded it as the troops that got there (2/2) had taken losses in the previous fighting and are low especially on SMG ammo. However, they picked off the gunner of the halftrack that had been covering this side and forced it to retreat. It will sure come back with a new gunner (in fact I think it is already back) but this is an example of a situation in which I think it is better to keep the vehicle buttoned up and let the AI decide for itself when to expose the gunner and open fire. Now, I have send in a reserve tank rider platoon to keep pushing forward. A BA-64 armored car is in the woods to beef up their firepower. I found a Sturm squad in the woods, but it retreated before seriously engaging.

JmJvu4D.jpg

Another fight took place along the ridge line between Northern Hill #2 and Titan Hill. In probably his last bid to stop me from taking the central objective, Titan assembled an infantry force including some survivors of the previous fighting, HQs and a Gewehrgranaten team, to stop the two platoons (1/2 and 3/2) I sent to this sector. The fight was decided with supporting fire from the Central Hill, where I have a machinegun (now two) and two sniper teams, plus with medium mortars firing using Target Light. Most defenders were killed, a few survivors were driven back. As reported before, the Battalion HQ in the bunker was taken out. It was soon replaced with a two-man Platoon HQ team, which got some revenge - I lost 3 men, including two SMGs from the team that shot at the bunker previously, to their machinegun fire. I area fired the bunker with a T-34 and took out the replacement crew. The bunker still seems operational but is abandoned at the moment. The second Battalion HQ is probably in the building by the roadside in front of the bunker - left behind to die. I am pushing two SMG platoons along the northern slope of Central Hill to attack Titan Hill.

Opposite Central Hill, Titan's Marder continues to worry me. I can't advance against it with infantry - it still has HE and good command of the area. I tried to attack it with AT rifles from the hill, but they don't see it even though the surrounding infantry does. I just can't find a spot on the hill from which an AT rifle can see the Marder. I ordered one AT rifle to area fire the road where the Marder is, but it could only hit a mound a few meters from the rifle. The second AT rifle team also tried area firing - but missed and although it couldn't see the Marder, the Marder could see it back and took it out. As a result, my advance from here on is blocked.

More action on the right flank. One platoon advanced south of the road and south of a ridgeline but stopped when it ran into some positions that could not be easily attacked from this side. Another infantry force was sent along the right edge of the map. Two machineguns are deployed here - both particularly frustrating, they have been reduced to 1 man long ago and refused to die. They have soaked up incredible amount of HE and caused heavy casualties. Currently, two of my teams are within grenade's throw from one such MG guy, but refuse to see it, while the MG just keeps firing and firing into the woods. However, mortar support broke a line of defense that was set up in this area, wiping out about a squad of infantry in the process.

98k6aIz.jpg

Last edited:
Turn 58. Things got a little quieter for a few turns as the majority of Titan's forces have retreated to new positions while I laid smoke screens to cover the next phase of advance. On the left, 2/2 and 2/Tdk. platoons serached the woods on Northern Hill #2 to find them abandoned. The Germans have pulled out completely. I found only one Sturmgrenadier casualty in the woods - admittedly a disappointment, I spent all my remaining 50mm mortar ammo on this flank in an effort to produce some.

Further south towards Titan Hill I could hear the halftrack, so I made sure I approach it at close range from multiple directions. I found it loaded with 3 one-man teams as spare gunners. I took two of them down, then the vehicle retreated. On its way out the third gunner managed to hit one of my guys.

Meanwhile, 3/2 and 1/3 are frontally approaching Titan Hill to secure the objective while smoke screens protect my troops from the Marder and from flanking fire by a German infantry team holed up in a building I cannot target. The bunker has been destroyed as well as the Battalion HQ in the building on the approach to the hill - the wreck of the SdKfz. 7/1 halftrack was accidentally set alight during the firefight. It seems that very few units remained on the near side of the hill. One LMG does open fire from the woods - there are several one-man LMG team running around now - at hits two men. I hope to be finished with him soon. I am not very careful, moving many units at once, but the time is running out and caution is traded for speed. And as much as I dislike taking casualties, at this point I am probably outnumbering my opponent 4:1 and can afford taking some.

BcmUEZC.png

The most complicated situation is on the right flank. A probable HMG is on the top floor of a two-story building surrounded by tall wall and is almost impossible to target from anywhere. Eventually I find a spot for my own HMG to area fire the building, but it might not be enough. I will soon find out if it is enough or not - a brave rifle team will test the waters. Further towards the edge of the map I have eliminated the one-man HMG team that had been bugging it so long - eventually I resorted to area firing it with SMGs at close range for 15 seconds because my men refused to see the target. But before that, the HMG wiped out another team of four Rattled Regulars: it hit one man, then panic AI took over and figured that running towards the MG is the safest choice. No survivors. After this incident I sent most of my broken troops back to the setup zone or to treat the wounded, leaving just some with MGs for area firing until they run out of ammo and some 1- and 2-man teams for scouting. They end up hurting the morale of the entire battalion if they take losses like this.

tr76fxU.png

My opponent will try to frustrate further advance along the right edge of the map with the Marder - in its new position it can fire on that avenue of approach.

Casualties 113:210

My favorite phase of the battle.

You know that he has no mortars or artillery. Other than the troops facing the Marder, everyone can pack themselves into dense, Napoleonic formations and (with suppressive fires and overwatch) just march right over him.

As far as the Marder.....its HE supply is pretty limited. I just wonder if that bug exists in CMRT where his AP rounds are actually more powerful than HE rounds. I know some of the other CM titles still have this bug.

I don't know, I have the same attack anxiety as on Turn 1. Every attack mission involves a small psychological battle with myself :)
Anyway, back to work - I need to figure out what to do with this HMG team in the building on the last picture. I bet they are fanatics. They just wiped out a 5-man crack team in a few seconds - probably my fault, I should have ordered them to Sneak instead of Quick, although it might not have made a difference. Then they laughed off the flood of close range SMG fire I poured in.

Can you smoke and rush them? Can't shoot what they can't see.
I thought about it but did not find any place under my control where I could put one of my last mortars still having smoke that could target the ground around the building - and the building itself is not a valid smoke target. The terrain is sculpted in this way to make the building a fortress. For the same reason I can't blow them up with tanks, which would be the preferred method of course. Also, there is a second consideration: I really want to cut off their escape route. I have no use for a HMG team fanatically serving Titan's evil designs. I believe that if I tried to lay smoke, Titan would use that smoke to retreat.

For now I am trying to survive in the area around the building and isolate it - the MG had to reload after killing the first team, otherwise the second (Elite) team would probably meet the same fate. Later I could get a proper shot at them from behind. They don't control a wide area - the flipside of being holed up in a safe space. So, they don't stand in the way too seriously.

They are happy they got to defend the regular civilian building instead of the fortified military bunker.
Either that, or they are defending the battalion's booze in the basement.

LOL. That IS a fortress. That wall is very unhelpful. It is stopping a good number of the bullets.

That gunner will die shortly, but the biggest issue is that you will run through a lot of SMG ammo.

I think it's also partially because most of your suppression bullets are hitting the side of the building without windows, causing no suppression effect. This can happen even though you are able to target the side of the building that does have windows - LOF is still drawn to the centre of the building.

That's right, the wall protects the house from the front. Area firing is possible from the southern side, but most of this fire will just bounce off the south wall.

I have called off the attack - the gunner might die but other team members will take over, and I have no desire to grow the pile of bodies in front of the house, which it's now as big as Titan's in that place. I need to come up with something smarter. If there are no doors or windows on the south side, maybe can we make some?

Back