Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Greetings from lead of Burden of Command Team

Luke, very good press and I like the rock paper shotgun interview. I think the whole "moral" dilemma thing is going to make for a very interesting experience.

I think one thing that is mentioned in both the RPS-gun interview and in the news article is that modern game design revolves around fun....which I don't disagree with per se. But another thing that video games offer is what I term "opportunistic escapism". For example, I think that wargames or 4X games or railroading games or simulations or sports games or whatever genre offer you the opportunity to escape your reality and try an alternate reality without "risking" your actual reality. You play for fun, but you also play to experience something different from your life experience. You get a taste of something else. What I think might make your work special might be what makes something like "This War of Mine" special, you are going to have to make decisions that really impact the space and "people" around you. You won't be able to escape the reality of the human condition in the alternate reality you are "playing (escaping to...)". I think that it will be an eye opener because it sounds to me that you are going to have situations in your game where you take an objective and you've "won", only to find out that you've made decisions (or didn't) that got people killed and you realize that the victory is really a loss... For me it sounds like BoC will be one of those games you experience, not play...and it will make you think for a long time after you shut down your opportunistic escapism...

HOA-KSOP aka ksbearski aka Barry

Well spoken @HOA_KSOP. We hope to engage perhaps more than "fun." This War of Mine or Papers Please fall into your genre. Had not thought about sports games as such. Interesting.

I can tell you that several decision the writers have put me through now haunt me. Though think I did the right thing, or remind myself it wasn't really my fault (though that only helps a bit, funny how you feel responsible because of your role even though maybe your not).

Also definiting who you are as a leader on this journey via Mindsets. Perhaps something you take away after the game and discuss with others.

Luke, machine learning is all the rage. I think that wargames would be a natural fit for an AI to learn how to deal with a human players as a game progresses if the AI had voluminous database quantifying training, doctrine and weapons capabilities. Then, married with your emotional responses, I would think a game could do a much better job at challenging humans. With that said How are you going to account for rookie replacements versus combat wizened vets? I mean these would all be components of unit cohesion and performance that would impact morale, response to different situations, and direct orders from your character etc., so it would be interesting how you model a soldiers evolution. So can AI soldiers learn? And what will they learn? Will they learn things that adhere to or go against a leader's mindset? Will they question the leader an opt for "playing it safe" if they perceive the leader is reckless?

Would be awesome to do. Very hard though and you need a lot of data as you point out. No way happening this version LOL. One can dream for future. There is certain work on that front which I've done some study of (and I did a bit of machine learning back in the day). What I do hope to do is 'learn' in the sense that you build or lose Trust/Respect with the men based on what you do. But far cry from deeper pattern learning.

Cheers,
Luke

Luke, I am setting you up here to create the "HAL" of computer games brother. But AI learning would be a serious technical breakthrough....Imagine a computer AI that could actually pull off a Cannae or conduct a fighting withdrawal or pull off Manstein's swinging gate.....Wow....

Thanks for the AI lead #HOA_KSOP. A few article updates for those interested:
-- youtuber thehistoricalgamer chose as a #1 most anticipated game!
-- wargamer.com today named us in most anticipated list: http://www.wargamer.com/articles/the-wargamers-guide-to-2018/
-- flare path at Rock, Paper, Shotgun update -- https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/05/the-flare-path-hows-it-going/
-- and in passing a mention in the Washington Post (kind of blows our mind) -- Washington Post hottest video games of the year

Thanks for the AI lead #HOA_KSOP. A few article updates for those interested:
-- youtuber thehistoricalgamer chose as a #1 most anticipated game!
-- wargamer.com today named us in most anticipated list: http://www.wargamer.com/articles/the-wargamers-guide-to-2018/
-- flare path at Rock, Paper, Shotgun update -- https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/01/05/the-flare-path-hows-it-going/
-- and in passing a mention in the Washington Post (kind of blows our mind) -- Washington Post hottest video games of the year

Great press Luke! Just don't be the Derek Smart of wargames.....

Saw some press last week that NVidia is all in on AI development. I can see where AI could possibly be imbedded in CUDA as NVidia is famous for having game specific settings files, configurations. I expect they add an extra core to a video card for nothing but CUDA AI code and you have a hell of a smart game at VRAM speeds...

Interesting UI streamlinig, seems easy to read "at a glance"...interested in knowing how casualties are displayed, you know, combat effectives, per turn.
from their developer progress chart it looks like AI development lags behind. Does not seem to bode well for a 2018 release, but you guys can check for yourselves.

Did anyone from FGM get picked as a beta tester?

Gotta email from Burden of Command....they apparently HAVE been busy and nosing the grindstone....and guess what they've been working on ....tactical AI....didn't I tell you guys they were lagging there based on their development schedule that's posted....but it's good to hear from them, I would like to see that game be released....

Back