Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hell let loose

I had a match again last night. Played the role of medic the whole session. Some brief highlights:

Squad making our way across fairly open ground came under fire from a sniper. Three down, one after the other in a short space of time.
As medic, I used both of my smoke grenades, crawled out to them in the field and revived them.

A few of us were jogging behind a Sherman, using it for cover. The tank stopped and we continued down the road.
As I was passing by the front of the tank, it fired its main gun at a distant target. BOOM!
I was close enough that the blast from the muzzle suppressed me, making colour drain from my visuals and making things go blurry.

At various stages I was shelled (and even strafed), but each time I heard the incoming threat and was able to sprint into cover.
After it was over I rushed out and revived players who did not react as quickly.

During the entire match (which was about an hour long) - despite being in the thick of the chaos - I only fired a single shot. Just one bullet!
The ruins of a small building was holding up my team. A single enemy was hiding inside, picking off guys as they entered.
I was able to lean around a corner, spotted him, and fired a single round from my carbine.
There was a metallic clank as my shot hit his helmet at close range. I then revived about 4 guys that had fallen prey to his ambush.

Good fun.

Last edited:
I'm looking to pick up this game next time there is a sale (because I'm stingy), but I wonder if it would be possible to even make a FGM squad - since we're spread around the world? Finding a time when people can be awake in both Australia, Europe, and the Americas at the same time. Not to mention a server with a decent ping for all...

@Bulletpoint I got it on sale too a few months ago but only recently installed it and had a go.

When we did the Arma 3 sessions, we had people from all over - Ireland, Scotland, the US, Australia and Finland just to name a few.
We managed to make it work. I can't recall what time it was for me, but it wasn't outrageous. It can be worked around.

@Bulletpoint I got it on sale too a few months ago but only recently installed it and had a go.

When we did the Arma 3 sessions, we had people from all over - Ireland, Scotland, the US, Australia and Finland just to name a few.
We managed to make it work. I can't recall what time it was for me, but it wasn't outrageous. It can be worked around.

I know; I was there too. But it was a less competitive environment against the AI minions of Josey Wales. So server ping was less important I suppose.. Not sure how it would work against human opponents. I guess a server based in Europe would offer the best compromise for all?

Now I recall @Bulletpoint. Sorry I wasn't sure if my memory was serving me correctly.

I play pvp games fairly regularly with a ping of 300 or more so I have gotten used to it.
If we organise a session, we could get together in Steam chat and compare notes on ping rates.
In fact, we could even do a practice session on an empty server, to get people's settings sorted out and try some functions.

For example, I have never used armour, I have never tried the engineer (who can build things and place mines), or used the AT guy to build an AT gun. Stuff like that.
Kind of difficult to practice the deeper mechanics when you are a newbie in combat.

While I don't want to put a damper on the idea I do think it's better to be realistic in your expectations.
I'm not sure that FGM has a large enough population who are A: interested in playing, B: in a compatible time zone, C: able to make the agreed time, and D: able to stay and play for a reasonable length of time.

It's been my experience in guilds/clans/gaming groups etc over the years that if you recruit enough people you end up with a solid 'core' group and the rest come and go to make up the numbers as it suits them, but I doubt that we'd even have enough FGM to make up that core of (15-20 people?).

Personally the game looks very good but with working about a squillion hours a week I simply don't have the time available to dedicate to that sort of setup, and I won't make a commitment to other people to turn up and play if I'm not certain that I'll be there.
This is why I stick to CM PBEM and WoWS and WoT. :)

Yeah, good points @Stafford.

Although when we have had Arma3 get-togethers, they have been generally pretty successful and fun (good to voice chat with you bunch of crusty salts).
The numbers were only about 5-8 of us each time though.
Sometimes we'd have someone have to drop out before the match because of life commitments and sometimes someone would have to leave early.

In HLL, each squad is only 6 men (a half squad I guess) and from memory, about 50 players per side.
Each tank crew has only 3 spots (unrealistic - but who wants to play as a loader for 60 minutes heh heh).
Might be fun to have a FGM tank crew!

Given the open online MMO nature of HLL, I think it could be a casual situation.
For example, we could say "hey everyone, several of us FGM will be playing on Germany server #1 this weekend at this time, if you'd like to join us".
If only a few people turn up, or some can't stay for long, it doesn't matter.

P.S. And as I mentioned, it might be a good idea to have a no-pressure test run on an empty server to practice and have a chat while not getting shelled and shot at. :p

@Stafford for you and I and @Ithikial in Western Australia, I think the US is about 12 hours behind us, and Europe is 6-8 hours behind.

So say if we did a session on a Sunday night at 10pm, it would be about 2pm in the afternoon in Europe, and about 10am in north/south America.

@Stafford for you and I and @Ithikial in Western Australia, I think the US is about 12 hours behind us, and Europe is 6-8 hours behind.

So say if we did a session on a Sunday night at 10pm, it would be about 2pm in the afternoon in Europe, and about 10am in north/south America.
Mmmmmm tempted. What does it cost these days....

Unfortunately the only days I get off are tuesdays, occasionally I do get a free evening but can't predict when that will happen. That said I'll have a look at the game and jump on if the stars align and I can make a session with you lads. :shootero:

Edit: This is with my current shift, things may be changing in the next few weeks.

@Stafford hey mate, if you want, we can jump on in Western Australian time at some stage. No worries either way. :cool:
I work from home as a graphic designer so I have some time flexibility...although Tuesday mornings I usually visit my elderly folks and Tuesday arvos I generally go to the gym.
But if you do end up getting it, lets talk.

Panzerknacker is also my steam name.

I'd take that personal training session. :D :cheerso: :cool::sneaky:

@Stafford hey mate, if you want, we can jump on in Western Australian time at some stage. No worries either way. :cool:
I work from home as a graphic designer so I have some time flexibility...although Tuesday mornings I usually visit my elderly folks and Tuesday arvos I generally go to the gym.
But if you do end up getting it, lets talk.

I've been watching some streams/YouTube of both this and Post Scriptum and I'm leaning more towards the latter, the slower pace of PS appeals to me a bit more I think, it's been a long time since my competitive Team Fortress Classic days that's for sure! ;)

Either way I still won't commit to buying one until my shifts free up a bit, and that requires my work retaining drivers long enough for me to make the move from cyanide to fuel :/

Heh heh! No worries.
In case you thought you had gotten out of this shooter shit-show - I have Post Scriptum as well. :D
But seriously, no pressure mate. All in good time.

By the way, have you got any toilet paper deliveries scheduled?
I've got an idea where we can make some extra cash on the down-low. :sneaky:

@Stafford one more thing to consider.
Both HLL and PS are lots of fun to play, and are similar in many ways. Both look good graphics wise too.
But Australian participation in PS is starting to drop off a bit, while HLL Australian servers are pumping.

I am part of an Australian clan which was very active in Post Scriptum. They even paid for the rental of a server.
But they discontinued it due to dwindling numbers of players.

Even if Australian servers are not operating, you can still join a UK or US server, but you have to deal with higher pings of like 250-350.

Back