Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Hell let loose

I played another session of Hell Let Loose last night.

I decided to try tank crewman again.
Joined a tank commander and climbed into a Sherman.
Chatting with him, he said that he'd had the game since launch...and only ever does tanks!
A driver joined us, and we headed off to the front.

His experience was quickly apparent, as he expertly spotted enemies through his periscope.
He gave orders - told the driver to halt, while to me he gave compass coordinates of enemy locations and described what he was seeing.
He even helped correct my fire by relaying shell impacts.
We were cutting a swath through the enemy.

Suddenly, he spotted enemy infantry sneaking up on our six o'clock - one of them was AT, with a Panzerschreck.
I started to rotate the turret, but he ordered me to hold fast, and told the driver to rotate the whole tank 180 degrees.
To my surprise, it was much quicker! We whipped around to face them, and cut loose.

Our driver was blazing with his hull machine gun.
Our tank commander was spotting and calling out enemy locations.
I was firing HE from the main gun and reloading, while constantly firing the coaxial MG.

After the match, the driver and I both gave him commendations (which earned him +20% experience). I will keep a lookout for him in another match.

Good fun.

His experience was quickly apparent, as he expertly spotted enemies through his periscope.
He gave orders - told the driver to halt, while to me he gave compass coordinates of enemy locations and described what he was seeing.
He even helped correct my fire by relaying shell impacts.

Definitely goes to show why the commander position was so important, also in the real war.

After the match, the driver and I both gave him commendations (which earned him +20% experience).

I didn't know that you could do that. Interesting game mechanic - rewards sensible and capable people.

My love-hate relationship with Hell Let Loose continues during iso.

There's definitely cheating going on, just like in Post Scriptum. Just like most PvP games.
Same MO...ESP 'wall-hack' (seeing everyone, even behind terrain), and 'aimbot' aim lock. Sigh. Wankers.
Easy Anti Cheat takes its damn time to root these pricks out. In the meantime, everyone suffers.

Despite this, I have been drawn to the game and have had many memorable moments.
Here are a few from tonight's session.

After an absolutely grueling fight we took a victory point, and most of our German side was holed up in Brécourt Manor.
The enemy launched multiple counter attacks and threw everything they had at us.
Tanks, artillery, fighter strafes, and absolutely ferocious and determined infantry assaults.

I was the leader and spotter for my two-man recon team.
My sniper and I holed up in the top story of one of the main buildings.
It had two windows on either side with small sandbag emplacements at each.
I used part of my recon kit to place a booby-trap at the top of the staircase as a precaution.

I then used my binoculars to spot enemy squads and tanks and marked them for my sniper and my entire team.
At times there were so many of them I would switch to my MP40 and fire bursts as they approached. Even at long range I got quite a few.
My sniper was hard at work too. Twice we headed downstairs to rearm at an ammo crate, which was placed by a rifleman.

We had to back away from the windows numerous times as our efforts were drawing more and more fire.
We could see the storm of enemy bullets chewing up the windows and even the ceiling.
Tracers from enemy machine guns were streaming in.
After the fire died down, we'd cautiously return to our positions.
At one point, I spotted an enemy squad leader in the distance, looking at me through his binoculars.

I heard other squad leaders report on the radio that some enemy had broken through into the compound.
My sniper and I switched to the other set of windows and killed several in the courtyard.
Then, we heard shots downstairs. Someone shouted that the house had been breached. I rushed to the top of the staircase landing.
I tossed a potato masher over the banister. It exploded with a thump down below and I heard a scream.

Seconds later an enemy appeared below, running up the stairs. I instantly fired through the railing and dropped him.
Another appeared, firing up at me, and I let loose too. I got him, but bullets were tearing up the woodwork around me.
I pulled back to into the main room to reload. Before I loaded a fresh magazine, a third enemy appeared at the edge of the stairs.
He fired through the banister and I dropped, wounded. He ran up the stairs and triggered my mine, sending him flying back down the stairs.

A few seconds later one of our medics appeared through the smoke and patched me up. Back in action. We held.

Last edited:
Yeah I too sorta have a love/hate thing going on with this game! On one hand I have memorable moments either tanking or holding or taking OZs. Other times I feel like all I do is spawn, run to the front and just die! Over and over and over and over! So out of frustration I just quit for the day, come back tomorrow and fall in love with the game all over! :LOL: (rinse and repeat)

There's definitely cheating going on, just like in Post Scriptum. Just like most PvP games.
Same MO...ESP 'wall-hack' (seeing everyone, even behind terrain), and 'aimbot' aim lock. Sigh. Wankers.
Easy Anti Cheat takes its damn time to root these pricks out. In the meantime, everyone suffers.

Like in Post Scriptum, I bought the game when everyone here that played it, played it regularly.
Then everyone stopped playing it and on Hell Let Loose is the new novelty toy and now I'm hesitant to buy it.

I have started to get into Post Scriptum again recently. Also Squad, the modern one.
All three are very good games. But when cheating gets out of control, it eventually puts me off.
Easy Anti Cheat works, but it has a unique way of doing things that takes some time.
I'd prefer other anti cheat systems that seem to detect more quickly and reliably and then bring down the ban hammer.

Thing is, that when there are no cheaters online, you can generally tell.
And when they are not in the mix, these games are very fun and entertaining.
Sure there are regular frustrating moments, but everyone on both sides are in the same boat.

I play this a lot, I have to say. There's a new update out on Thursday, bringing changes to the meta, and support trucks and some other things.
Worth a look again for those who may be thinking about returning.

Played this for the first time on Sunday during a free weekend. Found 2 other crew men in a tank. I played as TC spotting tanks and infantry and coordinating situational awareness. It's great fun if you can find someone to coop with, bit of a bore and frustrating otherwise.

@Concord so now it's been a year since your heroic defense of Brecourt Manor. Are you still playing this game or did the novelty wear off?

I haven't been, but I'm strongly considering it.

I have been devoting most of my games time over the last year to developing the map for my Urban Warriors campaign (CMBS).

I have also gotten so tired of the cheating going on in my PvP games that I have quit them all. Temporarily? Permanently?
Hell Let Loose, Post Scriptum, and Elder Scrolls Online.

In fact, every new PvP game I consider on Steam, seems to be also infested with cheaters.
I'll investigate some of them (including my faves listed above) and sure enough, I find tons of evidence.
Videos of people cheating, and websites selling cheats. It's a really big business.
Just recently, the Chinese police busted a huge ring of games hackers, with mansions and fleets of expensive sports cars.

I have also been having fun doing co-op ARMA3 every weekend with a great bunch of FGM guys. Very fun!

Yeah, the only way to avoid cheats is to play with a group of guys you know and trust. It's a shame because I like games like HLL and PS but the cheats are too much.

It's SUCH a shame. A really great PvP game can be utterly ruined by ego-babies and trolls. Just pointless.

There are many remarkable moments I could recount from these games that expose extreme behaviour.
Like stepping out of a transport plane as a British para and instantly being headshot by a single bullet while traveling at 200km/h and a mile up. :cautious:

I haven't really been playing team based shooters for 20 years, and I'm surprised to hear that the problems of cheating haven't been solved. Very disappointing.

Would it be possible to make a closed Few Good Men server and play against computer opponents? Obviously not the same as human opponents, but might be fun.

Not possible with Hell Let Loose and Post Scriptum, but there are plenty of great co-op team shooters vs. AI bots.
There's a few I have purchased on Steam sales that are just waiting to be used (like Insurgency Sandstorm for instance).

But a great way to do this is join our FGM ARMA3 sessions every Sunday (7pm in Western Australia and I think 11am in the UK?)
ARMA3 is popular because of its many features in setting up missions.
Although it's a 'military simulation' it is not any more complex to get into than other games and shooters.

Put this thread on your 'watch' list so you get the head's up.

The only downside to ARMA3 is it's a bit pricey, but I put it on my wishlist and got it cheap on a Steam sale.
We're taking a break for a little while, but missions are being constructed by our team and sessions will start again shortly.
We use Discord for talking, so you need a microphone. Good bunch of guys. Games are fun and exciting.

7 PM WA time is a little more doable for me, given the 12 hour difference. It was at 6 am my time. I see Perth does not change the clocks so that would explain it. 7 pm in WA should be 12 pm in London at this time of year.

Finally have a computer able to play this and have been having a blast.

If anyone is ever on hit me up. Steam name is the same as here.

Last edited:
@Ithikial In Western Australia, the ping for almost every pvp or online shooter game I have played is around the 300 mark. Usually to the US.
Same goes with the co-op ARMA3 games we've been playing with FGM guys, using servers in Europe.
Enough to be a PITA, but you get used to it and stop noticing so much after a while. :rolleyes: :)

Back