Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ivanov Tournament for CMRT (finished)

Okay, here was my initial thoughts and tactics..... As everyone else, I was blind- not knowing where and how many troops i was up against. The stream bed and wooded areas were obvious routes as a frontal assault seemed treacherous. So I initially placed my squads primarily kinda center, and probed with the recon section through the little woods on my left (stream bed) and moved my sniper team up on the left. i figured I could use them to pinpoint where the germans were then move my squads either left or right depending on what I found. I set my mortar immediately with a 5 minute delay, knowing that if I needed smoke later, it would take 9 minutes (leaving really only 1 minute so it was a mute point anyway). I made it a heavy barrage...I agree that it should have been more harassing in hindsight. Not sure it caused any damage. Anyway, the recon folks unbeknownst to me, were able to be spotted by the MG in the small wood patch, hence my recon leader got wounded. I moved the remaining recon up to the stream bed, where he was engaged by and returned fire on the sniper (had no idea how many Germans were actually there). My sniper team on the right, jumped the fence and slowly moved up to the woods. They were not fired at so initially I thought this may be a good avenue, until one of the snipers stepped on a mine. No go there....So that left the stream bed that had approaches where the sniper could not see them. So I shifted all my squads to the stream bed to get closer to the outpost. I was able to get fire on the sniper and take him out. In the meantime, the mortars came and went and I was forced to make the push. I was stressed about having to cross the fence under fire, so i broke up a squad to split fire base while I moved up 3rd squad. 3rd squad took some causalities, broke and ran back to the stream bed. I was able to spot germans in the trench and moved up Ivan's squad up to also get fire on the outpost. I eventually got 3rd squad back and moved them into position so that I could attack the outpost on at least two sides. My reamining sniper moved close to the outpost- distract the outpost (he was shot eventually) which allowed me to close in to grenade range. At that point I cleared the trenches. I took initial casualties from the mines, the sniper and an initial burst from the MG42. Other than that, I was able to suppress, and move in to clear. Touch one. Amazed that some of us had such low casualties compared to mine, but I should have been more patient and not expose to MG until or unless I could supress it more- or time the mortar strike a bit closer to my launch off assault point as there was too much time between the mortar strike and assault. Fun match- lots can go wrong

oh, it was a choice, left side , right side. Where are the mines.

So we all pretty much picked the left side. How would that battle plan have worked if he had mines on that side and approach instead of the woods and a team hiding to add fire on any unit once it entered and activated the mine.s on that side.

So it was the best approach and the enemy did not guard it well. Just saying, If it was me on defence, that is the side that would have received the mines.

I will give, "that a Boy " to those willing to risk Ivanov in the first battle so willingly. It appears most manage to get lucky in him not getting a unlucky round his way.

For the first battle I kept him back, part of the overwatch group while I let that -1 team take the risk and die for their efforts.

Thanks for posting your thoughts about your tactics and experience in the first mission @KGPanther @SlySniper.

@KGPanther, I really enjoyed reading your detailed post about your thoughts and experience in the 1st mission.

@SlySniper, you are correct sir, that the defense would be stronger in the way you have described it, but because of my tournament concept, I decided that mission 1 and 2 should favor the Soviets (easy difficulty) and the 3rd final mission should favor the Germans (hard difficulty). In the third mission the minefields are placed and guarded different. I think it will be a hard nut to crack, while still being winnable.

first.jpg

OK, the whole plan I had is in this image.
Far right, MG and Snipers were my starting group from round one, they crawled up and began pinning fire on objective with the MG., Snipers in overwatch looking for anyone they could spot

Far left MG team moves up in woods, to provide cover fire for the teams that will try the left flank assault. they did get a contact marker on the enemy, so they started to area fire the likely enemy location at the back tree location

Three teams moved up the left flank, , the -1 team in the lead, great mine bait if any there.

ON this turn, was when everything was to go to assault phase. Arty was called in at the 5 minute mark and went everywhere except for where it was needed almost.
A shell lands near the -1 team, they break and slide down the slope some, thus into the enemy snipers view, he gets a kill at that point on that team.

The command team moves up to their location to add additional overwatch pinning fire and the two remaining teams on the left flank rush and assault the objective from the left.
As they cross the open ground, one of the last mortar shells land near them. one dies from the friendly shell, many lightly injured

2nd.jpg

view at end of turn. Next few turns. The 2 team assault group does fine, clears the objective with hardly any enemy return fire and takes no losses.
The enemy sniper manages to kill one of the command team group in overwatch. good thing its not the commander.
the -1 team rallied very quickly, so I tried to rush them back to where the other two teams were to add additional support.
Two more men of that group go down to the enemy sniper.

And that was it. cleared the objective, the enemy sniper team tried to move up on the objective, they were gunned down. I had one men that was wounded that we saved.
So my losses were one man to my own mortar.
3 dead and 1 wounded to the enemy sniper (3 of which were caused because one of my mortar rounds broke my own team)

Hero of the battle, Germans give award to the Russian Mortar team for their outstanding help

Last edited:
@Stafford , I have been very lucky that I had in you and @Horza Omanid very helpful playtesters. Thanks!

@SlySniper , interesting pictures and in my opinion very good unit deployment. Also interesting to see the inaccurate Soviet off map mortar fire mission. (An on map mortar team would have made it too easy in my opinion.) Very unlucky that a stray mortar round did hit your unit. In one of the playtests an enemy stray round had hit Ivanov (@Horza Omanid), but I can not reveal more details to avoid spoiler it even more.

Last edited:
Ad hoc information:
@A Canadian Cat has informed me, that unfortunately platoon leader Ivanov has died after stepping on a mine in the forest. I am going to write detailed report later.

The last match has ended prematurely. The 2nd mission will begin soon.

Last edited:
All participants who have won the 1st mission while also Ivanov has survived have now received the starting file for the second mission. @Raging Al @jackal @SlySniper @xmax @KGPanther

I highly recommend to read the briefing for the 2nd mission carefully. This mission starts a bit chaotic (intended) and not reading the briefing text will disadvantage you a bit.

Sadly the tournament has lost three participants according to the rules in mission 1 (one defeat, one draw and one Ivanov KIA). I would like to thank @sspoom @Cargol @ and @A Canadian Cat for taking part in this tournament and I hope we will see us again in the next tournament!

I am hoping, that every remaining player will win the 2nd mission . Good luck and have fun!

Ps: There are many trenches and bunkers in this mission and I can recommend to take a look into the fantastic fortification reskin mods made by Aris, Juju and Kieme.

Last edited:
Report for the 8th match in the mission The Outpost (1st mission)

@A Canadian Cat had been very unlucky. Thanks for participating in the tournament sir!
A Canadian Cat m1.pngA Canadian Cat m1a.png
Platoon leader Ivanov has died after stepping on a mine.

There was no magic formula to me only losing the one man in Round One. In fact, I got extremely lucky on the very first turn when the German HMG team got a spot on Ivanov’s HQ Squad as they sprinted through the trees in in the bottom left corner heading towards the stream and sprayed them with fire which hit the trees and must have sprayed him with splinters!

1685968089906.png

I’d split my platoon to go both left and right with the plan to hit from both sides at once by about minute five after harrassing mortar mission from turn one and the sniper team on overwatch from the road.

Left up the stream bed:
HQ squad (Ivanov, unsplit)
3rd squad, split into LMG team and assault squad
Recon team

Right through the woods:
2nd squad, split into LMG team and assault squad

Overwatch:
Sniper team (highest point of road)

Mortars:
Set on harass to start immediately with enough rounds hopefully to last until turn five.

I trusted the veterans of 2nd squad to flank right through the trees to a position where both the assault squad and LMG team could pour area fire on the outpost. Meanwhile, Ivanov would nanny the green squad flanking left following the sheltered stream. The recon team would lead the left flank advance to a point level with the outpost to coincide with 2nd squad and, hopefully, the end of the mortar mission.

Again I got lucky in the fourth minute as the German sniper ambushed the left flank assault and managed to fire off five rounds, all missing, before being taken out by the recon team.

And as my men set up for final positions before setting up the assault, 2nd squad A team walked into the mines in the trees and lost a man, who fortunately turned out to be my only casualty of the day.

After that point, the LMG teams from 2nd and 3rd squad were able to pour suppressing fire onto the outpost from either flank, effectively pinning down the HMG team whilst the assault squads on either flank carried out suppressing fire on the rear of the outpost. Ivanov’s complete HQ squad were then able to crest the slope and add their own area fire and the Recon team could move in from the rear of the outpost and close assault.

The outpost was taken with six minutes to spare, with the recon team claiming six kills and the other five going to Ivanov’s HQ squad. I’m afraid to say that I didn’t risk re-entering the minefield to buddy aid the casualty from 2nd squad.

@Raging Al , a well written report and well played sir!

@SlySniper , haha, I hope Ivanov will survive also the 3rd mission!

After finishing the 8th match and running into the mines, it is proven for sure that @A Canadian Cat in respecting the gentlemen agreement did not take a look into our AAR discussion, but I never had any doubt about it, because he is a well known and respected community member.

Last edited:
Ad hoc information:
@A Canadian Cat has informed me, that unfortunately platoon leader Ivanov has died after stepping on a mine in the forest. I am going to write detailed report later.

The last match has ended prematurely. The 2nd mission will begin soon.
Yep, that's it for me. I went all in on trying to use the forest to approach the outpost. My scout team and sniper team stayed in the centre to observe and just took fire eventually taking casualties. The three squads entered the forest and found the mines. Sadly Ivanov stepped on one almost immediately.

Good luck everyone who remains.

Ivanov has already had a close call in battle two for me, I keep telling him he needs to at least make it to the third battle before he dies on me.
I’ve just had a similar experience in turn one, battle two. This round is brutal!!!

I think everyone knows, but be sure to activate Objectives and Landmarks by pressing Alt-J and Alt-L, if you are on MAC OS then it is option-J and option-L. If someone can not see the terrain objectives please contact me and I will help you to find them.

So far the 5 matches have progressed really well. They are between 011 and 041 file number (063 is the maximum file number).

The minimum to win this mission is in controlling one objective and blocking or denying to the Germans the other 2 objectives, or if the Germans are fully controlling one objective, you need to fully control two objectives.
Be sure that inside the objective you think you control there are no German soldiers left, the objectives are relatively big and full of trenches, where Germans could still be inside.

A draw is in this mission will unfortunately be not enough to stay inside the tournament.

To get full battle points try to recapture the complete trench system, if possible. Good luck!

Back