Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Ivanov Tournament for CMRT (finished)

All remaining players have now received the starting file for the final mission. Good luck gentlemen!

The 2nd mission is completed and this thread is now open for discussion and reports (AAR) about the 2nd mission "Counterattack".

Last edited:
Does Major Ivanov need to survive to win the Tournament. Can he die , and the player still have the most points and win. or Are you making him play safe for this round also.

Personnally, I want him to go out in a blaze of glory or survive but at least earn the right to be the commander of his men.

According to rule 2.5 to win the tournament Ivanov is not allowed to be killed or heavily wounded :
" 2.5 if their ingame character of the player (Ivanov) gets killed KIA or heavily WIA (casualty) at any time, the player has to leave the tournament independently from any battle results."

There had been players who had taken the risk and moved Ivanov towards the action. Mainly in the 1st mission, but there had been also at least two close calls in the 2nd mission.

There is a moderately chance that some players will run out of soldiers in the final third mission and will be forced to use the Ivanov unit to storm the second fortification. This would be interesting to see, but highly risky.

@SlySniper , you sir can play like you want. I am sure the other remaining players will it find highly heroic if your Ivanov will lead personally the storming through the minefield ;)

Well, if he dies this battle, at least he will know if his sacrifice was worth it.

In a battle where every man is needed. , it might be time for Ivanov to see if there is a bullit with his name on it or not.

Hey, Who are you standing behind here in support.

If I want to start a mental game, I need to start posting about how I dropped 10 plus points in the last round for the shear fact that I had it won with about 10 minutes to go and instead of sitting on the win. I lost way more men than I should to trying to kill the enemy across the clearing for no reason other than to do so.

The scoring is so close, you might as well say it will all depend on this round as too the winner. I can see the sweat on the other players faces already.

From my point of view the 2nd mission worked as intended. I designed it to have an initiative switch mid game after the Soviet reinforcement has arrived and enables the players to counterattack.

Following my game plan for the 2nd mission "Counterattack":

Two preplanned heavy mortar fire mission on turn 0 (red lines) on both of the Soviet main trench lines.
Preplanned smoke fire mission on turn 0 (white line)
One mortar fire mission mid game into the center called in via a spotter

The three reduced infantry platoons (-) had to attack after the mortar fire missions had ended.
2 Teams heavy MG42 and 2 snipers teams are on overwatch and provided fire support.
After the balance of power switched due to arriving Soviet reinforcements the German switched into defending the captured parts of the trench systems.

m2 overview.png

m2 smoke.pngm2 trench.png

I’ve got to say that watching back the first few turns of around Two at ground zero level felt like something out of a movie or a First Player shoot-em-up! Eg. The opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan or Episode two of Band of Brothers. I was wincing through those opening turns with every whining announcement of yet another incoming arty round. Very atmospheric, great work @Friedrich, a very brutal scenario.

I’m away from my laptop until Monday btw. Looking forward to seeing what’s in store for the final round.

And @SlySniper is welcome to send Ivanov out in a blaze of glory. My own Ivanov is suffering the effects of near death experiences in the first two rounds; he’s definitely planning on directing operations from the comfort of a warm bunker

AAR

During the initial enemy arty attack. The losses that would somewhat affect me were
this 81 Mortar team., as seen a shell lands right on top of them.

Also , my reinforcements were not affected much, except for a Sniper team I ran up to support the trenches in their defence. Needless to say they ran rihgt into the jaws of death.

1.jpeg

So since the trenches were being hit with arty and smoke.
I decide to scout to the left and see if I can take on the trenches from the left flank which are already being held by the enemy.

2.jpeg

The units I have with pps Sub machine guns, move up and begin to engage enemy unit locations in the central area of the trenches. Grenade action is helping to get the job done.

3.jpeg

On the Right Flank, Ivanov has his own close call.
Origially, I thought he had a arty round drop near him. but apon reviewing the battle, we see the German in a nearby trench that was engaged with him in a fire fight and tried to use a grenade to get our Hero out of action. Needless to say, it made me drop him down in the trench and play coward for a bit.

4.jpeg

As more troops arrive , I split them up. My long range fire to the right flank., those with assault weapons to go to the far laft flank. I will push to retake the trench from both ends

5.jpeg

Here I begin doing the nasty work of pinning , assaulting and removing the enemy from the far left flank

6.jpeg

Things are going well. I have regained control of the whole back half of the trench with plenty of time to spare.

I move mortars, MG's and Snipers into position on the right. Assault troops will slither up forward in the trenches on the left flank and central area.
But lets hit them with what arty I have left before we get too aggressive.

7.jpeg

With all my arty pre-ploted fire locations on my own trenches, It was easy to keep a fast pace as to the arty falling quickly and keeping my momentum going while the enemy stuggled .
We see my last rounds fall before my final push.

8.jpeg

It appears I have managed to kill the enemy without having to do too much dirty work,
the front trenches were cleared without having to close assault.

9.jpeg

My problem was, I decide to take on the Snipers and Mg's across the vally of death. so that he has no one left to do much of anything with.

I manage to do it leaving him with hardly a man left , but I was losing soildier at a rate equal to his and that was with the fact I was fire from Bunkers and trenches, better defensive terrain.
Most of the guys learned it was better to hang low and play it safe on their bellies in the trenches, way too many died in a effort that really was likely not needed.
Blame their commander, he was blood thirsty at this point.

Just finished. Meat grinder is an understatement!!!! Good luck to the rest of you……….

Short update about the progress in the third mission:
one match finished, the other matches are at file number 063, 073 and 079 (maximum file number is 093)

Just a friendly reminder that the results for this 3rd and deciding mission will be published simultaneously after all matches will have finished.
Until then the players are allowed to write publicly anything about this mission with the exceptions of spoilers and any information or hint regarding their results.

Last edited:
My troops are picking flowers as they walk through the fields, they are going to put them on the graves of those german defenders that died in vain.

Sounds like the rest of you are not going to join in the Russian celabration of victory.

Friedrich let you pick on him for two battles so he could have his fun with you in this third battle. (I must admit, its a challenge.)

Back