Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

PANZER COMMAND OSTFRONT

They definitely do seem to have some serious coding issues. Thats not to say I didn't like the game because I did. It was an attempt to spruce up an older game running on an older engine and as such I knew what I was getting having owned the original. However something has gone terribly wrong in the coding/optimization side of things it would appear. I can only think of one member of the staff that pushed things harder then he should of perhaps ( Mad Russian as Bootie mentions above ), which leads me to believe that some how Cargol has mistaken the rest of them for the CMBN fanboys at Battlefront.:RpS_smile: If not for PCOs coding issues they would both be good titles in there own rite but are not directly comparable.

If you take a look at the varius wargaming forums,BFC-Gamesquad-Matrix-Blitz even here at FGM u ll see people(here in FMG there is ONE guy doing this) trying to discredit CMBN while at the same moment,at least some time ago as today the king is naked,they were praising PCO as the ultimate wargame.
I was the first to blame BFC,from this forum,for their poorly PR and customer support and the failing to reach their own set deadlines.
But in order to be fair i must admitt that i ve never seen or read a post from one of CMBN developers trying to put under a bad light PCO.
Take a look at this guy here at our Club that keeps posting under the thread of CMBN tactics thread,he doesnt even own the game and he is continuesly trying to discredit a game that is much enjoyed by the majority here.Note also that he doesnt do it upfront like a man but he is posting a so called tactic thread and when members are responding
he is turning this thread in an ''i m not satisifed and this is not how it should be'' thread.
Now go at Matrix forums and see that the same guy is doing the exact same thing as here only more openly.
I m starting to wonder if he is Mad Russian's clone :)

What I do not understand is his motive. One would suppose he has a private beef w/BF and just wants to see what damage he can cause by badmouthing CMN. Since, for the most part, we here and FGM think the game is pretty good with lots of potential it sure sounds like a waste of time to me. I quit reading his rants because I have my own opinion and don't need his.

I quit reading his rants because I have my own opinion and don't need his.

And quite obviously, he cares not what our opinion is, for even the most dense of minds, cannot miss the character of our responses to him. I am of the opinion he has an agenda, that is unlike the majority of those, who call these pages home. Im still waiting to see where he lives, what he likes and a host of other sundry things I know about many of you, through your fellowship here.

Well I haven't posted in that thread so it ain't me ...LOL.In addition I am not too inclined to waste my time looking (although I probably will before the days is done :RpS_lol:) People that do that annoy me for two primary reasons. First I am 60 years old and I don't need some peckerhead telling me what I should or shouldn't like but will look long and hard at other peoples opinions as long as they are presented in an constructive manner and rants don't qualify. However some folks do tend to get pretty darn passionate about there games and I don't profess to having a great deal of skill at telling them apart from folks who just want to act the fool because its the Internet and they can or have some other motive..........

Second.......This is not a life threatening situation....its a freakin hobby !!! Like it or not both titles, like every game that has come before them has flaws. How serious those flaws are will always come down to a matter of opinion. Some people want absolute historical accuracy in all things and an AI that is self aware and capable of tactical thought and they want it for how much ??....50 or 60 bucks :RpS_rolleyes:

It is not being passionate about a game, is about highjiking a virtual corner which is for some of us a nice place to pass our free time and discuss and exersice our hobby.
It is also about principals or a gentlemen agreement if u like better, that even under the anonimity of Internet all of us are real without any hidden agenda or a profit of whatever kind in mind when we are interacting with each other.
After all the quality of the individual cant be hide by an avatar or a Yoosername, isnt it?

ROTFLMAO......Ok I know who you are going on about now ...its the "And, yes, I am the current StuG 'genius-expert'. " character that posts over at the Matrix forums. I have to admit he does seem to have certain ability to wear himself as a hat.

Mad Russian posted on The Blitz asking for a pbem on 25th May .. it has had 123 views but not one reply. I would prefer if people did give it a go just so they could get stuck in and tell the developers why it isnt working?
I PMed Mad Russian for a pbem game but he turned me down...said that he would prefer to wait until after the patch and I haven't heard from him since. In fairness to him I have to add that there is another public beta patch due out shortly actually its been due out shortly for a couple of weeks.

I suppose the problem is indeed CMBN. Although apparently 50% of the current players seem to either hate it or find it ridiculously inadequate to the task, everyone's so spiled by the sheer possibilities of CMBN that they fail to see PCO for what it is: a contender to CMBB and, in some parts, better than it. Give the thing better infantry modelling and represntation, a couple better textures and there we go. And I believe players find the CMBN UI at least as unwieldy or catastrophic as the PCO one.

I have to admit I really like Facman. He always makes me laugh when I'd rather cry... :biggrin1:

@Facman: Really, I'm reasonable? People would think I'm quite unreasonable because I actually like PCO even with all its shortcomings. But I happen to have been trained to think analytical and I can't get rid of that bad habit...

A new or as stated a revised public beta patch has been releasedhttp://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2871128. The final version of the patch is estimated to be ready in 3 weeks.I am seeing an improvement in performance of 5fps on average which is an improvement but I believe more will be needed in some cases. All in all a lot of work being done to improve the game. In addition there have been comments else where on the matrix forums from the team hinting heavily at future expansions one of which seems to be the inclusions of the Axis minor nations.

Everybody wants a comparison between CMBN and PCO .Personally I dont find the two titles comparable for a couple of reasons. #1 PCO is an add-on/expansion to an older game built on an older engine and CMBN is a new game built on a newer engine. #2 As far as movement orders are concerned CMBN is squad based while PCO seems Platoon based to me at least. #3 CMBN takes place in Normandy( at least for now ) while PCO covers the Russian front from start to finish. However I will give ya my opinions for whatever there worth.

Graphics: CMBN gets the nod as I find PCO's graphics to be dated. Which makes sense considering the in age of the competing game engines.
Sound: Once again I find CMBN to have the edge.
Destructible environments: Major win here for CMBN as PCO with the exception of a couple of the tree types doesn't have them. However CMBN seems to use the same invisible elephant type of destructible environment that Steel panthers used years and years ago.....FOW prevents you from seeing the Elephant but you can see the damage he does to the environment as he stumbles along.

Infantry: If you prefer squad based play then CMBN gets the nod, if its platoon based then PCO get the nod. CMBN does a better job in how it visually represents an infantry squad in game but that is at least partially dependent on how you have the limited infantry option set in the PCO option panel. There are a couple of options that can be applied to your movement and combat orders in PCO that are ether not typical or use a different naming convention then other titles in this genre such as SOP and Pathing............Read the manual for more info on those. Overall I still have to give CMBN the edge in this area but a slight one.I can do MOST things in PCO that you can do in CMBN but it takes some work a rounds to do it.

Armor: Sorry boys ....I realize this is something you don't want to hear however in my opinion PCO comes out on top in this category. From the looks of things CMBNs engine is allowing for higher poly count models which does make for a better looking tank in most cases, however when it comes down to the nuts and bolts of things, Balistics and damage modeling the advantage goes to PCO.

Arty: PCO doesn't have the delay or rate of fire options that CMBN has. In addition you can't select a specific target for air assets as the AI controls that in PCO. It depends largely on the amount of micro managing you are partial too that declares the winner in this category.

QB generating: Although CMBNs quick battle and rarity system drives me nuts especially what I see as a flawed rarity system, I find that PCO's random battle generator falls well short. Advantage CMBN

Scenario Editor: PCO gets this one because CMBN uses the same annoying unit selection system as the Qb generator.

Map Editor: Haven't used both CMBN's and PCO's editors enough yet to reach a conclusion in this category.

Bang for the Buck : PCO clearly has the edge.

Both titles have things they do well and things they don't do as well. They both have a comfortable spot in 7thcavs game collection. I have had opponents quit on me in the middle of a PBEM game declaring that the game is crap and its happened with both titles , so you guys will have to figure out which game is actually better on your own.

Have a nice day
7thcav

Which reminds I still haven't heard form the PCO regarding my involvement in PCO... maybe I should just send a signed NDA to them and see where it gets me?

Let me add a few pictures. The map and the scenario is made by me it is an armor encounter in October 44' in Hungary.

I can add that PCO Map Maker is a bitch to learn but once mastered you can do almost "everything" with it. No more bulky edgy terrain, no more angled roads.

Back