Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

PANZER COMMAND OSTFRONT

Didn't implay with a single word. That's why I use smilies - when I add one to my post I want everybody to realise I don't make a 100% serious comment; rather I'm teasing.

Actually I agree that the vehicle textures are somwhat subpar and that some even are just taken from the two predecessors of PCO ( and they DO look crap) but that can't be helped. A few have already been imporved from what I can tell by reading the official Matrix forums. I believe, though, there'll appear some modders that'll improve the base textures - it might even come to pass that I get around to do some mods for it, too.

I didn't like how infantry felt like an add-on in the original, it seemed to me that there was much more emphasis on armour in the game. I just felt the infantry model didn't feel that intiutive, but maybe that has changed with the update?

Be interested to see how the feedback pans out. Also the original did not have an easy way to make maps if I remember correctly? Has a quick and easy map editor been added, to help with scenario design?

I agree with Cilmhor about infantry and from what i ve read at their forums they ll start to deal with infantry in the PC4.
I am optimistic though as Matrix company seems to take into concideration customers/wargamers opinion and there is good will
among their creative team to listen to proposals .At their forums the discussion is far more constructive compared with BFC forums where it is a take it or leave it policy.

And Earl I know you were teasing. :)

It doesn't hurt to clarify this once in a while, though. And it's true they try to "appease" the gamer community much more than BFC does. But it's "leave or take" from both sides - either we like how developers treat us and buy their stuff or we don't. Not much else we can do...

Well, it's either give it a try and see if we can make it work or wait another several years for Battlefront to do an Eastfront game. All the while CM gets older and older. I think what Battlefront has done with Normandy is great, but I wonder if they will hit the mark with the gameplay. I mean an abstract 3 man squad or a 1:1 representation, the latter does not rank high on my list, and I think that most of us would have been quite happy with an updated CMx1 and a few more features with a few things fixed and this would have taken alot less time. I will still buy it, but to tell the truth am not holding my breath for it to be worth the wait. PC has the potential to blow away the new CM as it is so much more a toolbox, with potentially any conflict in ww2 being able to be modelled and played. We have a better chance with PC to get a complete WW2 game, a WW1, Vietnam, and anything else WE choose to model within the framework of the game. There is just too much hardcoded stuff in CM, you will get what they give you and no more. Man I hope that it works, I hope that they both work and we might have a tag team combo that will fit everyone's needs/wants.

I have to say I really like the variety of buildings I've seen so far. And having some vehicles we'll most likely never see modelled properly in CM (like the Grille or the Maus) certainly is a nice touch, including features like being able to squash AT guns with tanks. I'm looking forward to it and hope they made controlling it a bit easier - felt somehow "wrong" in the predecessors, but maybe I'm used too much to CM.

They are putting alot of work into it. PC4 is being hinted at, this will be leaps and bounds better, destructable buildings, and i can only imagine what it will have for us. I just like the thought of being able to design a Pacific Theatre battle, add the units, and away we go. All with one game, you could play Spanish civil war, whatever you want. THis update will be great, and I will support it as much as I can, but I think it will be the next installment that will blow us away. And it will probably be releaseed before Battlefront even gets close to giving us Operation Bagration, and that is all we will get with them, a slice of 1944. I imagine we could play WW1 tank vs tank games with PC, I don't see why not.

Different companies do have different ideas and different capabilities. BFC decided it's not doable to include the whole shebang in one game because it'd take about 10 years to finish it (and I actually believe that to be truth looking at how things are going with CM) and they won't change their mind. Too bad, but luckily we do have some alternatives like PC. I will stay with CM no matter what because I believe it has potential and I just love the game, but that doesn't mean I like everything or don't play other WW2 games - far from it.

I joined the beta team awhile ago for this update. I believe I posted a link here for others to join? Anyway the update is nearly complete. They are ironing out a few more bugs to make sure everything is stable for release. I played the past games sparingly so I am by far a veteren of the series but from what I have seen so far this is a far cry from the originals. Plus being a FREE update to those of you that have the older games! The guys working on this are pounding it out and listening to what their forums are saying. I have not had a bad experience over there yet. As for BF, I believe they do a knock up job too but a few have irked me the wrong way over there.

You guys are correct on the modding part of the game. Hell, I was even able add more men to my squad (you can have any amount represented graphically), mod victory flags, and mess around with some camo patterns. I am by far an experienced modder and those of you that have skills will eat this up. Nothing like the lock up job on the CM games. If you want futuristic tanks fighting Tigers and Panthers you can do it. It pretty much seems like everything from creating new models to modding the animations are game.

The game does follow suit with the originals which I really dont care for but am starting to get used to . I reallly do not like the feel of issues a primary order to your HQ unit and then the sub units under its command have to follow. Takes some getting used to and after playing you will find it easy to use. Non destructible houses--that sucks but to be incorporated into PC4. The graphics are better than CMX1 but not nearly as nice as what CM Normandy will show. Understandable since this is an update and not an overhaul to the game engine. In my opinion this game is a mapmakers and mod makers delight but I doubt will steal the show from CM Normandy. I am not sure how far they are with PC4 but if they continue working like they did on this update I believe PC4 could blow CM Normandy away. They seem to be on track on what old timers from the CMx1 days and new players are wanting.

One last note on the mapmaker. Wait til you guys see this. It is pretty cool. Making real to life maps are a breeze depending on the detail you want to put in. But elevations are simple and you do not have to adjust every tile to match what the real life map looks like. It will auto that off of satellite images. Nice and easy to use.

I've played the Kharkov demo and I thought one aspect was better than CM and that was exchanges betwen armored units. In CM your exhanges usually end after two or three shots, but I thought targeting in PCK was less accurate, especially at greater distances. That felt more realistic with hits resulting in different damage. Issuing orders is different for sure, but the idea that you give orders to the platoon commander and then can modify the original order with the subordinates is a fair representation.

I think I'll play all of them when they come out, but I want a game disk to go with my purchase.

What's PC4?
As i understand it, the previous Pz Command titles were 'Winter Storm' and 'Kharkov', so 'Ostfront' will be number 3 won't it?

I too think that if we get PC4, it will be a serious competition to CM. It is great to have all the little bugs fixed that we have in CM, like the Russian 45mm and 76mm under-rating, all seem to have been addressed in Ostfront. Combat does seem to be handled way better as well. As for moving you platoon, you can make a move with you HQ squad and the rest will auto-plot but you can select each squad after the HQ has been given a move order and modify the rest of the sqauds movements in the platoon. And like you say, the scenario maker is a dream, proper unit numbers are easy to put in, platoons can be custom made to have 1 squad or 20 squads all under the HQ, same goes for tanks. I can make due without destructible houses for now, it will come, but this could be a game that can stick around for a long time.

It is pretty much done. We are looking at the demo scenario they are going to release and one or two other small bugs. I cannot see it not being released next month.

Problem is they keep adding things (which is a good thing). I will see if I can get you guys some details on the things added. Not sure what they want to disclose at this point.

Fresh news taken from Matrix site :
''Hi everyone,

We are done adding features. We are in final testing, finishing up the manual, still adding grass to a few maps and testing for balance and any other bugs that may have slipped by us before now. As soon as we're satisfied that everything is squared away, we will release. We were certainly aiming for Q4 and then Q1, but I think the additional features were worth the additional delay. We will not rush it out at this point, we'll make sure it's fully tested and ready, so Q1 probably will not happen but I would not be surprised if we make an April release.

Regards,

- Erik ''

I heard they were looking for testers a while back but I never applied because I knew I'd be impossible to work with, i'd want everything my own way ha ha..:)

Back