Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

PANZER COMMAND OSTFRONT

A have high hopes for this one and i think that together with CMN they are the most awaited wargames.

There has just been another DAR started over at the Matrix site for Ostfront. POS you might be rather interested in following it as it is a armor only affair.

Oh, there has been some development? Interesting... *off to take a look*

There has just been another DAR started over at the Matrix site for Ostfront. POS you might be rather interested in following it as it is a armor only affair.

I just took a look, it was interesting but I see there's a 'Reaction Phase' in it, I hope it's not going to be as fiddly to play as Winter Storm and Kharkov.
PS- I see Matrix boss Erik Rutins recently said Ostfront will probably be released in April.

Matrix brought out PC Winter Storm but it couldn't beat Combat Mission, then they brought out PC Kharkov and that couldn't beat CM either.
Let's see if they strike out for the third time with PC Ostfront..;)
Waddya say Babe?

"All I can tell 'em is pick a good one and sock it"
babe.jpg

I think the old CM games are so instilled in the long time players that even if this game was a smash they would not change allegiance. I play CM regularly and am on the beta team over at PC:Ostfront. In my opinion eventhough both are set in the WW2 frame they play totally different. Yeah, I almost ditched it at first but then kept playing and started liking it more and more. Do I like it better than CM? Certain things I do and others I do not. This game will have to probably find its own niche crowd mixed in with a few CM players like me that see some things that they like. As far as stealing away the CM crowd, I dont see that happening and I dont think Matrix expects that to happen either.

I tell you what, if you are a feller' well versed in the art of modding, this game is your wet dream. Excuse my comparison. Everything in the game is pretty much wide open. Unlike BF they are hiding nothing. They are already creating American vehicles for the game. You can pretty much add, delete, or modify anything that you like. If you want a 2050 tank the US is working on now in the game, if you have the skills, it is possible. You dont think the data for the Tigers in the game is accurate, you can change it. From what I seen the files are simple to work with and require nothing that you cannot get for free on the internet.

So, I do not think they will steal anything from the BF series (new or old). But for those few that want to try something new or dont feel like buying 4 modules from BF to get the units you want to play, this may be their game. Like I said, in my opinion they play very different and it will be a matter of how much patience one has on getting used to the way it plays.

I will be too busy playing Shogun 2 Total War...:RpS_smile:

I already use Paint.net and with it was able to open all the graphics files for the game. I will limit my messing around with the game to infantry mods and some skins mods of captured units. I will leave the 3d modeling to someone with way more skill then I presently have.
I agree Eniced73, the game does grow on you after a while. You have to pretend that you do not have CM experience, not that PC is an inferior product but that it plays different with focus on a different set of rules on how combat is to be represented. Not worse or better, just different. I think that the game was not judged fairly in the beginning because we all so wanted a better CM, and PC does not deliver. But PC is not CM, thank goodness, I like the orders menu better, I like the tank combat better, I like the MOD'ing ability better, and the list can go on. PC has more posibilities then CMx1 or CMN ever will.

..I think the old CM games are so instilled in the long time players that even if this game was a smash they would not change allegiance...

I've been playing CM since the first demo came out on a magazine coverdisk in 2001, but if PC:Ostfront or CM:Normandy are BETTER than dear old CM, I'd have no problem at all with switching allegiance..:)

Read the latest AAR over at Matrix forums it was a short ,sharp batttle.
I liked T34/76 killing a Panther with an APCR round(turret penetration) and the general feeling that T34s can go against Panthers even though the engagement will most probably go in favour of the big Cats(as it was in real life ).
Didnt like the map as it was fairly ''naked'' and the terrible Objective flags(someone has to mod them).

Wait until you guys see the updated new features list! One would be very disciplined not to jump on this and try it out. Lots of features that CM and CMBN should have.

Ratzki,
I think there may be around 30 or so maps shipping with this so that map from the AAR was just one of many. Not to pump the game again but the mapmaker works of off real world height databases. So it is very easy to make realistic maps of the area you want. Then you can concentrate on making the map pretty with all of the extras instead of wasting your time on adjusting the height of terrain here and there.

Eventhough you dont like the flag module, it is animated. Like I said the game is very moddable so you could build your own model in fragmotion pretty easily and import even before its released. I did not like the original flags that had the claw like bases and played around with the program to remove them. I have no experience whatsoever and it was not that complicated. Actually it was pretty fun though simple.

Here is a thread over there about US vehicles even being added. I know the models look unfinished but I am sure they are working on them. http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2763449

Will it be possible to take the elevation from google in the mapmaker then switch over to a topo map in the same scale and trace like the old CM Mapping mission?

wow...I can hardly wait!! Any word on the release date?

Ratzki,
If I understand you correctly. Yes. You can do that. I as well as others use Paint.net program. You can overlay your height map on top of your topo map to make any adjustment that is needed. Hold shift and use your mouse wheel to vary the degree of transparency so you can see what you are doing. MadRussian posted a thread pertaining to this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2770454

They also posted a short explanation on the HUD items. You can pull up the unit information to get a bio on it and see penetration / protection values of that unit. I was hoping CMBN would have this but nope. One thing the thread does not explain is the message display on the far right on some pics. The size of the box can be adjusted to whatever size you want and even hidden if you dont like it. It shows you a play by play of when units become suppressed, routed, etc.. Also it shows you any hits or penetrations on your units. If you are in a large battle and miss something getting blown up you can cnrtl or shft click (i cannot remember) on the messge and it will rewind the play to a couple seconds before and put you on that unit. Helps in large battles where you cannot see everything happening at once.

My likes:
1. The map maker is very versatile and I have never seen anything that comes close to the ease in using it.
2. The models are OK. Remember they are low poly so the game can be run on older machines. This is an update/patch and not a new engine.
3. The modability of the game. Pertaining to #2, you could probably make new high poly models and put them into the game if you like. Not 100% sure on this but I know you can add new units, countries, data, buildings, and pretty much anything else you want up to a point.
4. Flamethrowers.
5. You can run over ATG with your tanks.
6. I am pretty sure the Russians can ram their tanks into other tanks. I believe there is a command for it. I dont believe the Germans can though.
7. Air support is modeled. You can see them fly in, drop their bombs/rockets, and then fly away.
8. The pbem system is set up to use DropBox if you want. This is pretty slick and very easy to use. No emailing of files. Play your turn, click finish, and it goes to dropbox for your opponent.

The only thing I do not really care for is the way you issue orders. I really like to issue individual orders to every unit, not one order to the whole platoon. There are variations on this and it is possible to order one unit to engage-move and the other to engage-stay. The primary order is universal amongst them all but the secondary order can be different. I just do not like that I cannot issue a Rush order and an engage-move order (both primary orders) to two tanks in the same platoon. You will have to read up on this to get a better understanding of what I am talking about unless you have play the game then you will understand. A work around is when you are making a scenario to make all your units HQ's. Thus you have all individual units and can issue different primary orders to all of them. Thus it would play just like the CM games.

I am running a PBEM game with one of the guys working on this and am going to see if I can post a simple AAR maybe with some video. Not sure how tight lipped they want to keep it but following their forums they are pretty much laying everything on the table for us to look at before buying (or receiving for free if you already own the old game).

Platoon orders are still in? That's one feature I disliked in the original PC game, but we're all so used to being able to issue commands to individual units. maybe it makes more sense once we have a few games under our belt.

Thanks for the updates. I just hope that this thing gets released soon. Can't wait to kick the tires a bit. They must be getting close to releasing this any day now.
Can you not issue orders to the platoon HQ, then modify the units under this HQ's command?

Yes. You can modify the units under the HQ command. But you can only modify the secondary order and not the primary order. Confusing I know. If you issue a Defend order to the HQ, your sub units must be Defend/Stay, Defend/Move (allows you to slightly adjust your defensive position with little or no penalty), etc.. or if your HQ is Engage, your sub units must be Engage/Stay, Engage/Move, etc... The Engage will allow for unlimited move distance (unlike the Defend/move). So the Engage/Stay allows some units to sit in overwatch as your other units move forward.

How about infantry loses?
If a squad iscaught in the middle of an artillery barrage has to suffer three step loses to be eliminated or it can be blown to pieces by only one strike(lets say a direct hit by a 150mm shell?Same if a unit is charging to a fortified position and is being fired by a MG or a SMG squad it can be eliminated at once or it has to pass those three casualty steps?
PS Hey Eniced is ur CMSF Game for the tourney progressing ok? as i ve sent you a couple of mails and a pm and you didnt answer

Back