Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[PIC GALLERY] WW2 Then & Now

Nice, not a lot of chage to house but more buildings in background.

As an aside: We tend to overetimate how densely packed urban areas were during WWII. Many villages and towns (esp in rural areas) have grown hugely esp at cost of open areas IN towns.

(This has continued apace - I know of one market town in UK that has tripled population and reduced open spaces in town centre by nearly 50% in last 30 years.)

Wow. Definitely. Totally agree. And going by some of the old WW2 photos, I get the impression that in the towns and maybe even cities at that time, there was still a rural feel as well: horses and carts, cows and chickens wandering around, a slower pace. And in a lot of cases the roads look the same as the roads in the countryside. But yes, I imagine a lot changed in the post war years. Yes, people everywhere.

Thanks Zinzan, appreciated.

Happy New Year to you.

Excellent your contributions to this thread, dear @Myles.
No doubt is my favorite thread, and it seems that yours too !

Thanks very much Louis. Much appreciated Sir.

It is my favorite thread, yes! And I quite like the whole process of making these pics, it's actually educational for me in some ways. And just seeing where this epic time in history took place, well, it's moving in many respects as I'm sure we can relate.

Thanks again Louis and a Happy New Year to you.

And keep up the great work!

Troops of the U.S. 35th Infantry Division in the town of Tessy-sur-Vire, Normandy, 1944. The vehicle is a knocked out Flakpanzer 38(t).

NYyAz2h.jpg

The Battle of Singapore, also known as the Fall of Singapore, was described by the British prime minister, Winston Churchill, as the 'worst disaster' in British military history, with about 80,000 British, Indian, and Australian troops becoming prisoners of war. The fighting in Singapore lasted from 8 to 15 February 1942, although this was preceded by two months of British resistance as Japanese forces advanced down the Malaya peninsula.

The photo shows Australian anti-tank gunners manning a 2 Pounder anti-tank gun, overlooking the Johor Causeway between Singapore and Malaya.

B95ArME.jpg

Of the 48 civilians killed as a result of the Pearl Harbor attack, the number killed by friendly fire varies from 33 to 37, as unexploded American anti-aircraft shells landed and then exploded in residential areas. 32 of those killed were in Honolulu.

7 December, 1941. Destruction at the intersection of King and McCully streets, Honolulu.

HNjZ5vG.jpg

Wow, except for the mountains in the background, everything has changed.
Yup, everything's changed. Still quite a few old buildings in the downtown part of Honolulu but on the whole, doesn't look like it's changed much since the 70's to be honest. Just going by Google street view.

The internment of Japanese Americans in the United States during World War II was the forced relocation and incarceration in camps in the
western interior of the country of between 110,000 and 120,000 people of Japanese ancestry, most of whom lived on the Pacific coast. 62
percent of the internees were United States citizens. These actions were ordered by President Franklin D. Roosevelt shortly after Imperial
Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor. [Wikipedia]

Here we see buses lining up at 23rd Street and Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles, on 30 April, 1942, to carry people of Japanese ancestry to the
internment camp at Santa Anita racetrack. This photo was published in the 1 May, 1942, Los Angeles Times.

And the same spot today.

uj52z9q.png

Back