Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Post Scriptum

Although there is a lot to like about this game, there are a couple of things that bug me about this and other similar games.

One is the immediate reaction upon taking contact which is to pull out the compass. I'm pretty sure that in all infantry field manuals that the initial instruction upon receiving incoming fire is not:

1. Pull out compass and check direction of fire.

2. Get into cover.

3. Return fire.

If the animation to get out the compass and line it up took a bit longer then I could accept that as it would mean prioritising cover.

My second gripe is the instant access GPS map that not only shows your location but also the location of other friendlies.

By limiting the access to maps to perhaps just Plt and Squad Leaders, it would discourage lone wolf running and gunning as they would need to be close to their leaders to know where they are.

By just having a basic map which took at least 5 to 10 secs or so to take out of your map pocket and orientate (for leaders only) , proper land navigation skills could be developed and used and would stop the map popping up unrealistically whilst sprinting or shooting.

It's a shame because everything else looks great.

I am afraid that would just put me at a disadvantage to the other 99 players using the networked GPS.

Unless there is a 'realism setting' that allows multiplayer gameplay with normal maps which are restricted to leaders and require land navigation skills to get the troops into the right positions then I'll be avoiding it.

Last edited:
Yeah it makes perfect business sense to appeal to as wide a market as possible and I think the vast vast majority of people don't even think twice about the map and many would no doubt be put off if the map didn't provide so much info.

It's a personal bugbear of mine that goes back to my time with Tactical Gaming playing ArmA. I'm always trying to find that perfect mix between simulation and game and Post Scriptum almost makes it but just falls towards the game side of the slider in my personal and humble opinion.

Last edited:
@Badger73

A quick list....

1. A kid deliberately shouting gibberish over the radio comms.
  2. Grown men reacting angrily to annoying kid.
  3. Argument ensues between angry men and gibbering kid.
  4. The whole map is basically lone hunter killers with no teamwork.
  5. FPS left arm graphic... it looks waaaay to thin... this annoyed me. LOL
  6. Too hard to spot enemy. More sim than game.
  7. I died repeatedly by being shot from someone I couldn't see.
  8. People jumping in tanks and doing their own thing... not supporting infantry.
  9. It just didnt feel like you imagine a WW2 battle to feel like. It was too fast for my liking. I prefer the use of tactics and careful movement. Unbelievably the balance of this is perfect in ARMA3.
  10. It plays the same as Squad with worse guns.

I'll keep Post Scriptum I think, but will get Hell Let Loose too.

My impression is that all these online shooters have to strike a balance with their mechanics.
Between solid structure and having players jump into the game. People of all skills types and all personality types will join.
Sometimes you get imbeciles and trolls, and some are serious players. Just like a real squad I suppose.
The higher the percentage of smart players and good leaders, the more chance you have of being successful, and the more enjoyable it can be.

@Bootie what gives Arma3 the right balance? I'd consider learning the game if it is worthwhile.

For one Arma has dedicated servers for the group you sign up with. It means that members are like minded and have been vetted. New members also go through a trial period in a training squad prior to joining the main group.
Missions and gameply will tend to be more realistic in that they are slower paced and that proper tactics will be employed to achieve success.
As with all these things though it still has to be entertaining and large kill counts tend to be the norm unless you play with a hard core milsim unit which for many is a bit on the dull side.

I also refunded the game. I hoped it's a better version of WW II online, but sadly it's not.

I was hoping for this kind of level of simulation:

Will stick to WarThunder and hope for some infantry gameplay someday.

For one Arma has dedicated servers for the group you sign up with. It means that members are like minded and have been vetted. New members also go through a trial period in a training squad prior to joining the main group.
Missions and gameply will tend to be more realistic in that they are slower paced and that proper tactics will be employed to achieve success.
As with all these things though it still has to be entertaining and large kill counts tend to be the norm unless you play with a hard core milsim unit which for many is a bit on the dull side.
Sounds interesting. If I end up learning Arma, I'd hunt for clan groups.

Did a couple more sessions in P.S.

One as a German rifleman. Was defending a town. Got shot, but was revived by a medic.
Holed up in a nearby house. Went to the top floor and looked out a window. Saw a brit para pop out of a hedge and shot him as he crossed the street.
Went to a window on the opposite side and shot another using iron sight and the 'focus' zoom. First kills in the game.

Second was as a brit tanker. Joined another newbie in a stuart tank. He got frustrated by the driving and left (the driving is a bit clunky at the moment).
So I drove it the rest of the way to the front, parked at good positions and hopped into the gunner position to take out targets.
Took out a couple of infantry, and an MSP (truck spawn point). Drove on and came across a German armoured car and took it out as well, before being bombed by a stuka.

I'm enjoying it even though it is still in development. Might try Squad next, which has been sitting unused in my steam library.

Back