Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Revell 1/76 M24 Chaffee

G

GrandSherman

Well, Decided I would give this one a shot. My uncle actually gave me this model kit a few years ago, and I never really got around to building it! Bought some supplies and plan on starting it this weekend. This will be my first scale model ever so I hope it'll turn out well.

M24 Chaffee

USA 13th Armored Div.
43rd Tank Battalion

DSCI0549.jpg

Good luck and remember to have fun with it. Should be easier than those notes you have listed on the side...good grief is that Calculus?

LOL thank god no! fortunately for me it's just Algebra 2 Trig... Still tricky though!

LOL thank god no! fortunately for me it's just Algebra 2 Trig... Still tricky though!
Glad to hear that... thought it was a new battleplan for the Commonwealth module...

Like AB said, have fun with it, or else you will end up bald like me... lmao

Hahaha, sounds like a plan FR!

Picked up some stuff... What did I forget? A filing tool... :frown:

DSCI0550.jpg

Damn, now I wont be able to sleep for a week!! Make it stop...make it STOP!!!

Question: How many coats of paint are usually required on plastic models?

It's a small kit so try not to put the paint on too thick or you might loose detail. I'm guessing, if your new you don't have an airbrush, yet, so be careful brushing it on. Airbrushing leaves a thinner coat or if you use some of the spray can type paints. Tamiya makes a few. Good luck I will follow along.

Yes I was a little afraid of using too much paint and loosing detail... may have clumped it up a little here and there, but I tried my best not to.

So far just painted some of the little baby pieces and a few bigger ones... Trying to get a feel for the process.

DSCI0552.jpg

This might be a good kit to paint post build. You will have to scrape the paint off areas to be glued and fill a few holes here and there. Also it's easier. I kinda stick to kits from one country keeps the paint costs down. Just for your FYI I'm also not an expert, but have some experience. Some may disagree with me but it depends on the kit tanks I like to paint post construction. Some have camp that is hard to paint unassembled.

I don't know a lot about the Chaffee. I think it was a late arrival to the war in Europe and was used in Korea but thats it.

I see were your coming from, and I think what i'm going to do is paint the smaller ones on the template and then take the larger ones off and paint them separately off the template. But still, painting them all pre-constructed. As for the Chaffee, yes it was used in other wars (possibly Korea) but it was mostly used in Italy and a bit in France and Germany... So not too late war.

You said in order to glue, the paint needs to be scraped off? In other words, you can't glue on top of paint?

you can't glue on top of paint?

Technical note...in my experience, the paint can keep the glue from actually welding the plastic parts together, thereby making for potential problems. If you want to paint the parts while on the sprue, leave the areas that interconnect, paint free so that the glue only touches plastic during assembly.

you can't glue on top of paint

No, you can't with regular glue. But you can with 'super glue'. or whatever you call it. Not very clean solution, but it works. Try it first on something else and be very carefull. To much superglue leaves marks.
I use super glue to make tracks on vehicles look natural...

Or you can, as Facman said, leave that areas unpainted, or scratch paint from them using fine sand paper.

Back