Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

[SCENARIO] FGM - 101st at Normandy

While I appreciate the atmospherics of low light conditions, my peepers ain't what they used to be (thanks Uncle Sam and your Agent Orange), I have difficulty seeing things, and it detracts from my enjoyment.

Facman

Not sure if you already know -

Alt-B turns on 'Artificially Bright Night Graphics'
Adds a pleasant eyeball friendly glow to the battlefield.

By the way, map is looking great Bootie.

Had a wee look at modern day Poupeville... looks nothing like my representation but the road leading to it looks pretty alike in CMBN. LOL

23_zps3f263f23.jpg

CMNormandy2013-07-0622-36-42-84_zpsbaa55c47.jpg

I think the limitations of the CMx1 engine for buildings meant lots of villages couldn't be mapped out accurately. We didn't have modular buildings back then for instance. This could make any recreation of maps a little difficult, especially if you are wanting to go with something heading towards historical accuracy.

CMx2 isn't perfect, by any means but I think it's still a big leap in the positive direction for historical map makers.

Ok this post is now being moved over to playtest section as we are ready to start accepting requests. At present it is H2H only so I need 2 folk at a time to play against each other. In the coming days I will work on the AI plans and advise when single player playtesting is required. Ok so whos interested.

I dont play H2H, but once it is ready for playing vs. the AI, i would love to try it.

Nort (Am) and I (Ge) have only one turn in the can so far. But it did reveal a slight problem from my point of view. On his very first move I was able to bring him under fire. I feel that the map may be a bit to small. Personally, I hate coming under fire on the very first turn. It takes away ones sense that they can maneuver.

Disclaimer: With a couple of Euros/dollars and my opinion, one could buy a cup of coffee.

All depends.... did he have units on the large hill in which case it was obvious if he seen you, you could see him.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention though... I can either mention in the briefing you have stepped into a hornets nest or alter the map to take the set up zone out of LOS. I dont believe myself his initial set up could be seen ( I may be wrong as I havent checked the small house on the hill yet) but did he run into your LOS?

Yes, it was on the big hill, and he did move into my LOS. Perhaps if you extended the map back a bit to give more room to maneuver, they wouldn't move into LOS so easily. Not knowing where the Amis set up, it's just a suggestion.
I remember from my days of gamemastering miniature games, contact so early in the game is no fun and can break the moral of a player.

I personally also prefer it if units dont make contact during turn 1 without me beeing told to expect that happening. If it is not mentioned otherwise in the briefing, i always expect the set-up zones to be safe for at least the first 60 seconds. Just my 2 cents.

I personally also prefer it if units dont make contact during turn 1 without me beeing told to expect that happening. If it is not mentioned otherwise in the briefing, i always expect the set-up zones to be safe for at least the first 60 seconds. Just my 2 cents.

I'm not testing so have no idea exactly what the situation is in this scenario but I agree with Agusto and others above. Unless it's specifically stated in the briefing that you will be, or starting the battle already under fire (and it's serves some narrative purpose), it can feel a bit cheap at times.

Saying that I'm not fully against it. The Three Patrol Action scenario I'm working on may also have action in the first turn if players order their troops a specific way. I've written the briefing accordingly so both players should have an inkling of what to expect if they read it.

I'm not testing so have no idea exactly what the situation is in this scenario but I agree with Agusto and others above. Unless it's specifically stated in the briefing that you will be, or starting the battle already under fire (and it's serves some narrative purpose), it can feel a bit cheap at times.

Saying that I'm not fully against it. The Three Patrol Action scenario I'm working on may also have action in the first turn if players order their troops a specific way. I've written the briefing accordingly so both players should have an inkling of what to expect if they read it.

I agree ... but sometimes you get some LOS gaps that you only spot when testing ... most CMx2 QB maps seem to have convenient blind slopes at setup zones to prevent Turn 1 carnage...

Back