Welcome to The Few Good Men

Thanks for visiting our club and having a look around, there is a lot to see. Why not consider becoming a member?

Slitherine Tournament - Will you be the ultimate Horse Lord?

That was quick... I got hammered by my first two opponents in the last tournament.
Unfortunately, I have not received any games from my opponent in this round.
@Badger73 & @Wellsonian want to play a couple of games from round two, just let me know the passwords.

Well, you can rebound in round two! Quick question......if I have heavy foot, and I travel over rough terrain, ending on open terrain, do I get disordered?

Don't think so.

@Badger73
Sort of like the source document used to produce the individual melee results details we see in the game. Does that make sense? Is there such a thing? Where might it be? Thanks, troopers. Garry Owen!

A good way of measuring how battles tend to go, is to go to option/settings and get detailed battled results in a friendly game... plus some of the comments are very good

Last edited:
That was quick... I got hammered by my first two opponents in the last tournament.
Unfortunately, I have not received any games from my opponent in this round.
@Badger73 & @Wellsonian want to play a couple of games from round two, just let me know the passwords.

I'll set up a round two bout practice bout! Since you hammered me so badly in our practice round, I want a rematch;) The password will be fgm.

Do you know the answer to my question about rough terrain above?

<snipped>
<snipped>
A good way of measuring how battles tend to go, is to go to option/settings and get detailed battled results in a friendly game... plus some of the comments are very good

@Nelson1812 - I'd be happy to play a match using the Horse Lord tourney round 2 or 3 army lists and settings. Set something up when you have the time. Good luck to all of us in the Slithirine tournamant!

Go get 'em, trooper! Garry Owen!! :2charge:

Getting my butt thumped by manolo_maximo showed me how vast my expanse of ignorance understanding this game truly extended . . . :shocknaz:

I am learning the in-game "Tools" (lower left screen arrow icon) to be quite helpful. You can toggle several bits of very useful information at any time. I'm finding detailed unit info, command range, LOS, and LOF more and more important as I play more games. You can also CTRL-L click on a unit any time to see the quality of its POA (Points of Advantage) throughout the game.

Go get 'em, trooper! Garry Owen!! :2charge:

Getting my butt thumped by manolo_maximo showed me how vast my expanse of ignorance understanding this game truly extended . . . :shocknaz:

I am learning the in-game "Tools" (lower left screen arrow icon) to be quite helpful. You can toggle several bits of very useful information at any time. I'm finding detailed unit info, command range, LOS, and LOF more and more important as I play more games. You can also CTRL-L click on a unit any time to see the quality of its POA (Points of Advantage) throughout the game.

Well, I lost the first one (me as Parthian). The snowball effect got me and he got to 60%. I now use the detailed results, just because it helps me learn. It also shows how bad my luck was at the start of the snowball. I lost a battle with my Elephant that I had a large POA advantage on. This disrupted them. Then a unit next to them lost a battle they had the advantage on and broke, which then caused the elephant to break, which then caused the medium infantry next to the elephant break. Brutal! Yet seemed pretty realistic actually!

The second battle (me as Graeco), I have crushed his center with pikes and rolled over his right flank, while he was absolutely crushing my right flank. I am now busy turning everyone around 180 degrees to have it out against a horde of cataphracts. Did you know Pikes can form squares! I'm going to try and entice him to try for an 'open' flank, then have my two pike units assume squares. This should give my cataphracts time to reform and counter. Hopefully. I'm only up 4%.

Either way, fun as hell.

Very tough map...
<snipped>

I thought the same. Actually, I thought it was a poor map for promoting a cavalry battle. I went into this tournament intending to support the spirit of "Horse Lord" cavalry armies. I think that was a mistake. For the 2nd round, I am surprised that Indian units are better than I expected but the Sassanid infantry seems pretty dire to my eyes. There's a lot to think about.

I thought the same. Actually, I thought it was a poor map for promoting a cavalry battle. I went into this tournament intending to support the spirit of "Horse Lord" cavalry armies. I think that was a mistake. For the 2nd round, I am surprised that Indian units are better than I expected but the Sassanid infantry seems pretty dire to my eyes. There's a lot to think about.

My infantry is the only reason I was even competitive in both battles.

Back